Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony buys Bungie

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Default Sony buys Bungie

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...usd3-6-billion
    3.6 billion.

This industry is so fucked.... So tired of the aquisition war. If this is the way shit has to be then Nintendo better go get Platinum. I hate this is where the industry is tho.
    Last edited by Leynos; 01-31-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

I think that itís funny. Especially after the Xbox spaz fest
    TA had over the whole Activision purchase.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I think that itís funny. Especially after the Xbox spaz fest
    TA had over the whole Activision purchase.
    He will claim Sony did this because they're scared. Even tho the reports are this deal was 6 months in the making.

Remake Geist Force!

You all keep saying that hardware and consoles should come back and blah, blah, blah, but they legitimately create monopolies and then crap like this happens where it becomes an arms race for content. This isn't the days of the NES and Atari anymore where there is a specific system to play games on. You can play games on a brick these days. Modern consoles are all basically DRMed PCs anyway, so why would I buy one? Modern games suck anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

So Sony now owns the studio that created Halo.

Fucking El Oh El.
    05/05/15

WCPO Agent

LOL this is funny to me.

To sum up:

1.Microsoft now owns Crash Bandicoot - which was developed by Naughty Dog (a Sony studio) and used to be a PlayStation mascot.
    2. Sony now owns Bungie - who developed Halo, which is the main Xbox franchise.

Has Nintendo bought Sega yet? LOL

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post

So Sony now owns the studio that created Halo.
    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post

Fucking El Oh El.

dammit beat me to it by about 2 minutes ..lol

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You all keep saying that hardware and consoles should come back and blah, blah, blah, but they legitimately create monopolies and then crap like this happens where it becomes an arms race for content. This isn't the days of the NES and Atari anymore where there is a specific system to play games on. You can play games on a brick these days. Modern consoles are all basically DRMed PCs anyway, so why would I buy one? Modern games suck anyway.

I happen to like Forza Horizon 4 and 5, along with the Far Cry Games, Resident Evil and Cruise Ní Blast. Iím primarily a PC gamer now, but I do have a Switch and look forward to getting a PS5 for the few exclusives itíll get.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

A lot of great modern games and most are not AAA or even big budget at all. As for AA, well Nier Automata is one of the best games ever made. If I could I'd post hundreds of great modern games regardless of budget. I do feel the largest stuff is mostly bland same old same old greedy crap.

Remake Geist Force!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    LOL this is funny to me.

To sum up:

1.Microsoft now owns Crash Bandicoot - which was developed by Naughty Dog (a Sony studio) and used to be a PlayStation mascot.
    2. Sony now owns Bungie - who developed Halo, which is the main Xbox franchise.
    LOL yes.... who would have seen that coming 20 years ago.
    I'm not surprised by all the acquisitions though. Games have gotten so expensive it makes sense for companies to consolidate. It's just like with movies, the blockbuster films all come from about five studios.

I don't think Nintendo needs to buy up other studios. They have enough IPs already. If Nintendo wants to work with anyone I hope it's either a hardware manufacturer so I can stop sending in my JoyCons for repair, or a company that can fix their outdated online services.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm with you up until that last sentence. I think we're in a great era for games. Hardware is increasingly irrelevant though. Modern PCs run rings around consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    He will claim Sony did this because they're scared. Even tho the reports are this deal was 6 months in the making.
    Six months in the making or not, I doubt the announcement is merely coincidence when looking at the close proximity of the MS/Activision announcement.

Master of Shinobi

This past week has been one huge emotional roller coaster.
    Last edited by zyrobs; 01-31-2022 at 08:15 PM.

This just in: I buy a bag of Doritos and pack of Mtn Dew. Controversial I know, but it had to be done.

...and no, modern games don't suck. Just some of the shitty business practices surrounding some of them do. If they'd just give us the whole game from the start, let us own the game when we buy it, and play the damn game offline... I'd be fine.

More news.

Coleco has purchased a donut. Owner of Coleco Dick Dingle announced he found enough change in his couch to purchase the glazed donut for an estimated $1.89.

Remake Geist Force!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    LOL yes.... who would have seen that coming 20 years ago.
    I'm not surprised by all the acquisitions though. Games have gotten so expensive it makes sense for companies to consolidate. It's just like with movies, the blockbuster films all come from about five studios.

I don't think Nintendo needs to buy up other studios. They have enough IPs already. If Nintendo wants to work with anyone I hope it's either a hardware manufacturer so I can stop sending in my JoyCons for repair, or a company that can fix their outdated online services.
    The acquisitions by both are merely ways of having more content for their respective ecosystems, Microsoft's Game Pass and whatever Sony morphs PlayStation Now into. It also prevents Google/Apple/Amazon/Facebook from gobbling them up instead.

My comment about Nintendo buying Sega was mostly ironic, considering the absurdity of all these recent announcements, plus Nintendo traditionally never buys external companies, with the exception of Retro Studios. However having thought it over for a while, such a purchase would make some good business sense for both Nintendo and Sega, firstly the Switch seems to have become a retro gaming powerhouse of late, Nintendo adding Sega's back catalog exclusive to their platform would add a ton of value to their platform. Secondly, there seems a lot of mutual respect between the devs that work at Nintendo and Sega, I think they could work together very well - the only people that would have an issue with this would be the fanboys, who would melt down...lol.
    Lastly, you only have to look at the likes of F-Zero GX to see how awesome a Sega-Nintendo combo could be. If anyone is going to buy Sega, I'd rather they be part of Nintendo, instead of being swallowed up by the likes of Sony or Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I'm with you up until that last sentence. I think we're in a great era for games. Hardware is increasingly irrelevant though. Modern PCs run rings around consoles.
    Modern gaming does suck. Gaming is as creatively bankrupt as the movies and TV industries. All I see is reboots and remasters in 4K (meh! ) Even the latest games like the new Halo and Ratchet and Clank games are unimpressive to me. I understand why the last gen was so underwelming considering the tablet class CPU and wimpy GPUs the Xbone and PS4 had, but I had hopes that all that would end with these new systems, like Xbox Series X and PS5 (not the gimped Series S tho ..lol) - but no - just more 4K.

Hoping that once they dump the PS4/Xbone things might change, that Matrix demo that Epic came up with looked pretty cool - best thing I've seen so far. Agree on the hardware though traditional consoles died a long time ago, just dumbed down PCs and old spec tablet tech now.
    Last edited by stu; 02-01-2022 at 02:01 AM.

Nintendo bought Monolith Soft in 2007 (which has now expanded to 4 studios) and Next Level Games last year but yes they rarely do that.

Remake Geist Force!

Thread Information