Quantcast

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo eShop closing for Wii U and 3DS by end of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think up until the WiiU Nintendo gave people a lot of bang for their buck for a lot of years, but now seems to be a company that wants to milk the consumer for all their worth when it comes to nostalgia-based gaming. After the downfall of the WiiU and 3DS they seem to only care about their shareholders these days. Here is a great satire article:

https://hard-drive.net/nintendo-anno...truct-in-2023/
    In the words of the Cinderella song: Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone).

The Wii U was a good, secondary console but it was marketed worse than almost anything I can imagine except possibly New Coke. Piss poor marketing ends up with poor results.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Funny! I saw Cinderella opening up for Bon Jovi during the Slippery When Wet Tour. Tom Kiefer was wearing a leather duster with tassels. This stupid drunk bitch grabbed onto on of the leather tassels and wouldnít let go until it broke off. You could tell he was super pissed off about it.

I donít think that advertising was the only problem for the Wii U. The 3rd party support at the beginning left a lot to be desired. You got an enhanced Batman, a Mass Effect 3 with all of the DLC and Zombie U. I guess the launch title from Nintendo was Super Mario in 3D world, which received a lot of coverage. Itís what came after that was few and far between. Still a good library though.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Keifer knew exactly what he was talking about.

With the right marketing you can sell anything to anyone or just about. Look at today's music as an example. Far too many of these "artists" climbing the charts couldn't sing in the shower let alone on a record........w/o auto tune and embellishment. People still listen though. People still buy the records. I vividly recall pre-ordering Wii U because I didn't want to experience a repeat of Wii but I new something was rotten on launch day when Best Buy workers weren't aware a new console was releasing. Nintendo being Nintendo assumed the successes of Wii would carry over to Wii U thus appearing as the reason for being lax when promoting not only the release of a new console but its strengths as well. Reviewing the launch library was surprising as it wasn't as bad one would believe. I would say it was shockingly good. The b/c should have also been highlighted immensely though it wasn't. Talk about a royal screw up.

The trouble with the Wii U was it came too late, if it launched along with the 360 or PS3 it would have been different.

Also the Wii went from a system with a tiny remote with 2 main buttons that even Gran could hold and use, to a Huge pad with tons of buttons with the Wii U, that would cripple Grans hands.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Wii U's marketing was very poor. A PS4 commercial was the Greatness Awaits ad. A Wii U ad was an 8 year old telling their parents they need a Wii U. It was horrid. Esp the reveal at E3 2011 and it was so bad they had to RE-reveal it in 2012. Its game boxes and the console looked too close to Wii. Its name was stupid. People didn't know it was a successor and thought it was an add-on. Dev kits were expensive. Nintendo still used its own API. Switch dev kits are the cost of a PS5. API is NVN which supports Vulkan and such. Things Wii U didn't. Switch was marketed very well. Hardware that was familiar. I don't think Wii U would be possible in 2006. Forget the fact it uses a 2009 GPU even if they used an era-appropriate GPU I don't think they can get the Gamepad idea to work both on a technical and financial level. PS3 would seem cheap by comparison. Not to mention Wii U used a custom Blu Ray drive.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Super Mario 3D land is also IMO the best 3D Mario game after Galaxy, its so good, its unreal.
    3D Land is a gem of a game and the best example I've seen to date of how 3D can enhance your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    The Wii U was a good, secondary console but it was marketed worse than almost anything I can imagine except possibly New Coke. Piss poor marketing ends up with poor results.
    Agreed, the marketing was indeed atrocious. There was no killer app to market though. Maybe if it had launched with Mario Maker people would have better understood the usefulness of the gamepad.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I donít think that advertising was the only problem for the Wii U. The 3rd party support at the beginning left a lot to be desired. You got an enhanced Batman, a Mass Effect 3 with all of the DLC and Zombie U. I guess the launch title from Nintendo was Super Mario in 3D world, which received a lot of coverage. Itís what came after that was few and far between. Still a good library though.
    It was actually even worse than that. 3D World came out a year after launch. The only Mario title at launch was NSMBU, a fun game but not something to show off the capabilities of a new console.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The trouble with the Wii U was it came too late, if it launched along with the 360 or PS3 it would have been different.

Also the Wii went from a system with a tiny remote with 2 main buttons that even Gran could hold and use, to a Huge pad with tons of buttons with the Wii U, that would cripple Grans hands.
    They needed to launch something in 2009 or 2010. Interest in the Wii had already tapered off by that point and the market was ripe for HD content. Maybe a mid generation update, like a Wii HD, could have worked. The gamepad never should have been the main focus of the console though, sell that as an accessory once you have some games for it.

I thought that the Wii U used DVDs.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-08-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

I thought that the Wii U used DVDs.
    No the Wii U uses a bastardized version of Blu Ray. But without the movie playback option because Nintendo are cheap asses
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs

Yeah, I looked it up. It's single layer BR.

WCPO Agent

Yeah, I looked it up. It's single layer BR.

I think its hilariously ironic the trouble Panasonic/Nintendo went through to make a disk format that was pirate proof and yet Gamecube/Wii/WiiU games ended up being just as easy to pirate as games for Playstation and Xbox. Of course it doesn't help that Nintendo seemingly had next to no protection hardware in their machines as the Wii and Wii U are easily softmodded.
    Last edited by stu; 03-09-2022 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    3D Land is a gem of a game and the best example I've seen to date of how 3D can enhance your experience.
    Its the best Mario game, this side of Galaxy. It's so amazing, I love playing it even today. The Wii U trouble was the graphics were nothing really that 360/PS3 couldn't pull off, so it felt like nothing of an upgrade to the core gamer and its Pad was so big and full of buttons, all those non-gamers you attracted to the Wii, couldn't handle it. So really the Wii U wasn't appealing to anyone and the range of the pad/screen from the unit was very poor too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

An amazon gift card from Xmas was burning a hole in my safe so I bought a cake, a few albums and a nice eShop gift card that gave me Super Mario Advance 2 & 4, Ducktales Remastered and a few others once I decide.

Edit: 2 & 4 along with the improved Game Pad battery.
    Last edited by JCU; 03-15-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Just an fyi guys, Capcom is having a fucking huge sale on 3DS software on the eshop. Literally most of their games are only 5 bucks a pop so hit it up now if you want to.
    05/05/15

$1.99 for R.E. Revelations or Mercenaries?

Thread Information