Quantcast

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo eShop closing for Wii U and 3DS by end of year.

Wii U Nintendo eShop closing for Wii U and 3DS by end of year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintend...p-discontinued

They will stop accepting Credit Card purchases in May and will stop accepting eShop card codes in August.

While I like Nintendo a lot this is one of those times I really wish they'd stop doing this shit. I mean honestly if they're constantly going after ROM sites to get people to stop downloading their games, then they should make it possible to buy them from Nintendo directly. A lot of games on the Wii U eshop will be gone forever once this happens.

I still tell people that the Gameboy Advance Version of Super Mario Bros.3 on the Wii U eshop is a must own. They had added all the E-reader card content to that version of the game so you can finally access all the new levels and content they added. There's a lot of TG-16 titles there also with a large quality list of Gameboy Advance games as well.

The Wii U library has a great selection of titles. A lot of them did make it to the Switch but there's still quite a few hold outs that may or may not make it. I play my Wii U a lot of the time so I'm sad Nintendo is once again doing this shit. Also I would suggest if you're going to add physical titles to your Wii U collection that you should grab all the DLC or Updates for all the games you get.

Speaking of Breath of the Wild as one of their best games in years. Mario Kart 8 is still fucking killing it in top game charts after all this time. Fucking crazy...
    05/05/15

Stick a fork in it.

The console that could've and should've but didn't.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

I picked up a $20 gift card today. See what game I can find for the TG-16.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

I knew this was coming and so I've been telling anyone who is interested that it's incredibly easy to download games/updates/DLC from the eShop directly to your PC -- just in case you need a backup of content you already purchased. I wish Nintendo would keep the server up, it can't be that expensive to host a few TB of games, but the Wii U was discontinued over 5 years ago so this was inevitable. Also Nintendo just migrated to a new online system so they are phasing out the older services.

The 3DS eShop is a bigger loss as that console actually sold well and was in production until 2020. It's also a little trickier to backup 3DS titles since you actually have to jailbreak the console. It's not exactly hard but still more complicated than the Wii U, which has next to no security. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking with that one.

The other problem with both consoles is that once your hardware breaks, there is no way to fully replicate the experience in emulation. No emulator will use the Gamepad as a second screen, although at least you can play games like BOTW with a Switch controller for the motion controls. For the 3DS, there's still no substitute for the 3D display. The Switch is the opposite, it plays better under emulation, at least in docked mode.

Not surprised this is happening. Very disappointing indeed.

Edit: The biggest gripe I have with this is that so many games that were on the WiiU and 3DS eshops are not on the Switch, same with the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy is $20 on the eshop, $120 in physical form used. Plenty of Wii, Nintendo DS, and GBA games on the WiiU eshop that have never been rereleased. On the 3DS, plenty of games that are digital only that wont see the light of day after the store closes. And when the store closes it will just spike the cost of the physical game. Luigi's Mansion is still $40 for the 3DS. Games that came out ten years ago still havent gotten any kind of discount. It is absolutely ridiculous that they would rather shut down the stores and force people to pirate or pay outrageous 3rd party rates than rerelease these games on the Switch.

And to top it off, they are creating immense amounts of ewaste by doing this.
    Last edited by Baloo; 02-19-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

People have not been nearly vocal about this as they were with PS3 and Vita stores. The problem is the same and opens up the digital vs physical converations all over again. I don't feel like going into it but this sucks.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Master of Shinobi

Here's some good news for Wii U owners, as of 2022 you can softmod the console just using an SD card:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-...e-cbhc.605381/

Up until a few months ago if you wanted to run CFW you had to buy one of several DS titles from the eShop (otherwise you would have had to run the exploit every time you boot). So, this is good for anyone who wants to mod their console after the eShop goes down.

Modding a Wii U or 3DS makes these consoles better than ever, you can run GC games on your Wii U or play DS games in widescreen on the 3DS. In other words, things these consoles should have been able to do out of the box. Too bad Nintendo is finally wising up, there's no way to mod a Mariko Switch without soldering.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Id buy a backup 3DS, before I delved into one. Id like to keep my SNES 3DS in it original form.

I picked up Lords of Thunder and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong today.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hot garbage, makes the majority of eshop titles. I actually went through and looked at all of it, and there's so much crap. There's a few I might snag, but does Xbox Live and PSN have this amount of trash too? I dunno, I never look at download marketplaces. What's with the credit cards ending in May? Didn't they announce last year that credit card payments would be ending in like September of 2021?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Hot garbage, makes the majority of eshop titles. I actually went through and looked at all of it, and there's so much crap. There's a few I might snag, but does Xbox Live and PSN have this amount of trash too? I dunno, I never look at download marketplaces. What's with the credit cards ending in May? Didn't they announce last year that credit card payments would be ending in like September of 2021?
    Not only is PSN loaded with steam trash. Sony promotes it on their YouTube channel. Since MS ties XBL to Windows Store. There is some straight-up bootleg shit in there. Even emulators have been found.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

One silver lining is that if you have your eShop linked to your Switch the account funds are shared across all three platforms. So if you have it linked you'll be able to add funds and make purchases until the last day in 2023. A lot of people I've noticed are ignoring that detail.

I'll probably never remember my Nintendo account password. I mean, I should know what it is, but do known passwords ever work? Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    One silver lining is that if you have your eShop linked to your Switch the account funds are shared across all three platforms. So if you have it linked you'll be able to add funds and make purchases until the last day in 2023. A lot of people I've noticed are ignoring that detail.
    I did not know this. #NinjaRepped for this one.
    05/05/15

Two years or so after Switch released I just had to sell my Wii U because we had such a volatile relationship but I always knew I'd regret doing such a thing. Resale prices were rather high a few years back but now, even with the announcement of the eShop being terminated, prices seem low which I doubt will last long. Last night I scored one almost complete minus the pamphlets and instructions for a nice price but I'll pick those inserts up at a later date. I have a lot of re-downloading software to do this week.

Game and Wario which I have is fucking expensive for a Wii U game.
    05/05/15

Thread Information