Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AliExpress Genesis V3 Cartridge

Default AliExpress Genesis V3 Cartridge

GenesisV3pic.jpg

I've heard some say that these types of cartridges will ruin the pins inside the Genesis, while others scoff at such a notion. I know the boards are thicker than in OEM cartridges. What's the truth of the matter?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Thick + no bevel = it's a physical fact the pins are going to bend with enough insertions.

Even with the Ukraine situation, there should be some stock of Everdrives left at resellers. Why would you order a poor quality chinese repro?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Because the assumption that there wouldn't be a run on Everdrive products due to the horseshit going on was erroneous.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Thick + no bevel = it's a physical fact the pins are going to bend with enough insertions.

Even with the Ukraine situation, there should be some stock of Everdrives left at resellers. Why would you order a poor quality chinese repro?
    Because I could. Its acted up a few times, but otherwise works fine. I will note that the board width is the same as the Demons of Asteborg cartridge. The noticeable difference is that the Asteborg board is beveled.

I'd like to get a Mega Everdrive Pro but they are sold out. In addition, the cost is almost 6x higher than the Chinese cart. I just read that the Pro allows one to play Sega CD games without the Sega CD, which is cool.

One day there may be an Everdrive that plays 32X games without the need of the mushroom attached. That's probably when I will bite and get one. Until then, its cheap Chinese whore cartridge for me. 😁

That's not going to happen, unfortunately. It would require video passthrough -> an expensive niche product that wouldn't pay for its dev costs.

Comparable to why there's no GBC flashcart with an IR transmitter or rumble, or GBA flashcart with a solar sensor. Used by 1-2 games each, wouldn't sell enough to cover costs.

That's not going to happen, unfortunately. It would require video passthrough -> an expensive niche product that wouldn't pay for its dev costs.
    Neva eva? Aww mayn. I figured that could be a likelihood.

I had a 32X back in the day, think I bought it for $20. Don't remember what I did with it. I played Virtua Fighter and Knuckles on it, few other games.

On a side note, I just looked at my Xeno Crisis cartridge. She's got a fat board, just like my Chinese whore, but indeed beveled.

I recently got SF II Remastered on a clear, bluish cart that lights up. Just looked at the board and its unbeveled.

I wonder if I can get away with filing down these boards. Those contacts are awfully close. 😳😬
    Last edited by Iced Snowman; 03-24-2022 at 02:01 PM.

I just did an experiment. All of the following games in my collection have fat boards (like my AliExpress Genesis V3 Whore Cartridge). I looked at them and this is what I found:

Micro Machines 96: beveled
    Mutant League Football: beveled
    Beggar Prince: barely beveled
    Legend of Wukong: barely beveled
    Star Odyssey: somewhat beveled
    Magic Girl: somewhat beveled
    Cascade: somewhat beveled
    Ultracore: unbeveled
    Darius Version Extra: barely beveled
    Mega Turrican Director's Cut: barely beveled
    Pier Solar: somewhat beveled

None of these games are beveled to level of say, Altered Beast, for example.

All of these games are pushing in on the pins, more than my other games, because they all have fat boards.

So even if I successfully file down Ultracore, Beggar Prince or my Chinese V3, that won't negate the pressure on the pins.

Thoughts?

The lack of bevel is more serious IMHO, since that can result in outright broken or badly bent pins.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

Buy a cheap used console and play them on that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Wouldn't a Game Genie be perfect for this? They're cheap, you can turn it off and use it as a pass through connector, no?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by M0L0TOV View Post
    Wouldn't a Game Genie be perfect for this? They're cheap, you can turn it off and use it as a pass through connector, no?
    you lose the ability to save your game
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

Comparable to why there's no GBC flashcart with an IR transmitter or rumble, or GBA flashcart with a solar sensor. Used by 1-2 games each, wouldn't sell enough to cover costs.
    Unless the entire console with the 32x was completely duplicated through FPGA and only used the power supply and cartridge ports of the Genesis somehow.

That'd be even more expensive...

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

yeah, ive got the latest mega everdrive with sega-cd support and it's dope. i too wish it had 32x support, i don't mind the hardware but it's annoying (and not often talked about?) that playing with the mushroom attached means not having access to savestates most times. it's such a shit trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    yeah, ive got the latest mega everdrive with sega-cd support and it's dope. i too wish it had 32x support, i don't mind the hardware but it's annoying (and not often talked about?) that playing with the mushroom attached means not having access to savestates most times. it's such a shit trade-off.
    No savestates , No SegaCD and no UMK Trilogy support+MD component cable uses an 8 pin mini din, without the 32X attached you need a MD2 to MD1 DIN cable adapter. if you want to use the MD on a TV with component input.

Thread Information