Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega 16's impressions and reviews about PC Engine/CD/Turbografx's games

TG-16 Sega 16's impressions and reviews about PC Engine/CD/Turbografx's games

A thread where we brainwashed Feka fans can post our impressions of the catalog of the lovely NEC console. Watch out, though, for Johnny Turbo could be watching us, and he's shithead crazy!
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 03-26-2022 at 01:57 AM.

So let me get started with JJ and Jeff, that sublimely ridiculous Wonderboy/Adventure Island-like game. Sure, it's mediocre at best, and its charm is based on poopy jokes and surrealist atmosphere, but let me explain something most of you must know but it's still important to point, as it gives some context to the general weirdness: the protagonists of the original version of this game, Kato-chan and Ken-chan, were two Japanese TV humorists, Cha Kato and the late Ken Shimura (you may remember him for his viral videos with a chimp called Pan-kun). The style of this pair was based on toilet humour, scathing parodies and comments on home videos, and this anarchic spirit is ever present in the game.
    A game that, we have to admit it, has aged very poorly: for me it's basically a glorified 8-bit game - well, all PCE games are 8-bit, but that's another story - with 16-bit graphics and sound. Still, it's playable, and some players might find the very Japanese atmosphere and the big sprites quite charming.

I leave a gameplay video of Kato-chan and Ken-chan for your perusal.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SBlaise84's Avatar

TG16 has always been am underrated gem of a system in my mind. It's a shame more kids in the US didn't grow up with it at the time. I only had one friend who owned one and he ended up selling it to me which is how I got mine.

A few of my favorite TG16 games:

Bonk - What can I say except this game was a ton of fun. Very colorful, music was good, I liked the spinning mechanic and the wall climbing was a nice touch. Great competitor for Mario if you didn't have an NES.

Cadash - Excellent home port and since it includes all the playable characters, it's much better than the Genesis version IMHO. It was also very nice to be able to take my time leveling up without a timer rushing me along. Ninja FTW!!!

Dungeon Explorer - Gauntlet who? This game is awesome, especially multi-player. Fantastic soundtrack with very catchy tunes. Nice variety of class types. I sunk many hours into this game with friends.

Ninja Spirit - I love the look of this game. I actually really like the floaty feeling jump that lets you go almost to the top of the screen, and the weapons are pretty fun. Give me a couple shadow clones and that rope/grapple weapon and I'm unstoppable!

Splatterhouse - A guy in a Jason mask who brutally kills monsters in a gore filled haunted house? I'm in! I remember this and Bonk were the 2 games I'd always see advertised for the system in game magazines and I'd always want one.

I never had the cd attachment growing up so I've only played a handful of games via emulation but I can see why Sega felt the need to compete with the Sega CD.
    Last edited by SBlaise84; 03-26-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    TG16 has always been am underrated gem of a system in my mind. It's a shame more kids in the US didn't grow up with it at the time. I only had one friend who owned one and he ended up selling it to me which is how I got mine.

A few of my favorite TG16 games:

Bonk - What can I say except this game was a ton of fun. Very colorful, music was good, I liked the spinning mechanic and the wall climbing was a nice touch. Great competitor for Mario if you didn't have an NES.

Cadash - Excellent home port and since it includes all the playable characters, it's much better than the Genesis version IMHO. It was also very nice to be able to take my time leveling up without a timer rushing me along. Ninja FTW!!!

Dungeon Explorer - Gauntlet who? This game is awesome, especially multi-player. Fantastic soundtrack with very catchy tunes. Nice variety of class types. I sunk many hours into this game with friends.

Ninja Spirit - I love the look of this game. I actually really like the floaty feeling jump that lets you go almost to the top of the screen, and the weapons are pretty fun. Give me a couple shadow clones and that rope/grapple weapon and I'm unstoppable!

Splatterhouse - A guy in a Jason mask who brutally kills monsters in a gore filled haunted house? I'm in! I remember this and Bonk were the 2 games I'd always see advertised for the system in game magazines and I'd always want one.

I never had the cd attachment growing up so I've only played a handful of games via emulation but I can see why Sega felt the need to compete with the Sega CD.
    Nice collection of indispensable games.

Where I live, PC Engine games were practically only seen on magazines: It was rarer than the Neo Geo, here, and back in high school it became sort of a proto-meme: "Who had a TurboGrafx"?

It was with the advent of internet and emulation as mass entertainment that we really learned about this fascinating system. That said, I've seen a few units, but never touched one. What I touched was coin-op with a JAMMA conversion kit that featured some PCE games: IIRC, there were Dragon Spirit, Doraemon, Shinobi and Splatterhouse. I also remember the monitor display was off and the screen was basically monochrome with some shades of green and purple.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 03-26-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

You know what game I liked a lot more than its reputation would suggest? Energy. Granted, I played with a patch that speeds up the screen transitions and adds some other quality-of-life improvements, and even after that the game has tons of technical flaws. Still, I liked the underlying bones of the game a lot more than I expected. It was a bit like a poor man's Ys III, as I recall. A lot of the credit for that should probably go to the ROM hackers, but not all.

I also had fun with Atomic Robo-kid Special not so long ago. It's sort of a nerfed version, but I still liked it.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Parasol Stars- Big colorful, cheerful sequel to Bubble Bobble, even uses the standard background counters for when items sappear, and doing different things to get those counters higher to get those items to appear. Music's good, though for 7 levels, the main tune will drive you mad, but the last world, and the 2 subsequent hidden worlds after each have their own theme song.

Jigoku Meguri - aka Bonze Adventure Send your little Buddhist Monk on a Hell Tour (the game's Japanese name translated in English) to beat down the underworld's head honcho, Enma-Oh, or as the game calls him, Emma Oh, to settle him back down. Some folks says it reminds them of a poor man's Ghosts N Goblins, but I find it plays nothing like it. Each level is part of hell, including a level called Bloody Pond, in arcades, the stage has no music, just sounds of what sounds like bubbling blood or liquid.

Liquid Kids- Despite having an arcade perfect, but better sell some body parts to afford it port on the Saturn, at least it's still a solid game, though some of the games warps have been cut from the arcade/Saturn versions.

Gradius II - Super CD game, but an absolutely superb port of the arcade game, WITH an extra stage thrown in for good measure. Voice effects are a bit muffled, but you know what the guy says when you pick a weapon to activate on the weapon gauge.

Super Darius 1- Unlike Super Darius II, this game isn't quite as zoomed in, uses the arcade versions music, no remixes thankfully, and feels like the game the recently released Genesis home brew/ now real cartridge version was based upon. Still my preferred way to play the original game.

About Parasol Stars, it's not until very recently that I found out it was a PCE/TG original, not an arcade port.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    About Parasol Stars, it's not until very recently that I found out it was a PCE/TG original, not an arcade port.
    There rumors for years that it was, but never found any evidence of it through loads of searching. Turns out what people saw were versions with a TG-16 inside of an arcade cabinet. Felt like a shot to the gut when I finally found that out, but the pain subsided quickly, because I love the Bubble Bobble series, and it didn't matter if it had an arcade version or not, the game was just that damned fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    There rumors for years that it was, but never found any evidence of it through loads of searching. Turns out what people saw were versions with a TG-16 inside of an arcade cabinet. Felt like a shot to the gut when I finally found that out, but the pain subsided quickly, because I love the Bubble Bobble series, and it didn't matter if it had an arcade version or not, the game was just that damned fun to play.
    It may have felt like a shot in the gut, but that goes to show how good NEC's machine was. Parasol Stars was even ported to 16-bit computers like the Amiga and the Atari ST (excellent conversions by Ocean France) as an arcade original. No wonder almost all we thought it was originally a coin-op.

I do say this to wind up fans of the system and it never helped that I got my PC Eng after the MD ready for Strider, but I've always seen the PC Eng as a poor mans Mega Drive. I was never that much impressed with the system, but I did love Splash Lake, it was amazing in 2 player mode.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I do say this to wind up fans of the system and it never helped that I got my PC Eng after the MD ready for Strider, but I've always seen the PC Eng as a poor mans Mega Drive. I was never that much impressed with the system, but I did love Splash Lake, it was amazing in 2 player mode.
    That's quite logical: AFAIK, the MD surpassed the PCE on everything but the colour display. Still, the "12 bit" PCE still amazes me to no end. It has a charm not even the Neo Geo can surpass. It may be for its obscurity here in the Western world.

OK, let me speak of a guilty pleasure: it's China Warrior. It may be for the scandalous Bruceplotation, or because it was all that Sword of Sodan - even on the Amiga - wasn't (in a word, fun, but for the wrong reasons), but I love this. A Kung Fu Master/Spartan X clone with HUGE sprites that despite its obvious flaws, one ends up playing with a somewhat wicked smile. It's as simple as a Bruce Lee wannabe kicking monks that are just passing by, birds and flames while makimg Bruce-esque faces, yet it's somewhat funny. That simple, steady fun that stems from all that's B-series. I always spend a lot of time when playing this on Ootake, so it must mean that I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    Že fact žat it's a game unique to že TG16 makes it better žan it would be just as an arcade port.

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Že fact žat it's a game unique to že TG16 makes it better žan it would be just as an arcade port.
    We share the exact opinion.

Someone sent me a bunch of translated PCE roms, and playing Moonwalker has reminded me that a couple of days ago I played a similar PCE game that, for me, may be actually better than Jacko's game: it's City Hunter.

This one is a semi-linear arcade by Sunsoft where you play as the most sympatethic and horny private detective/hitman ever: good ol' Ryo Saeba. His assistant Saori has three missions to choose between: choose one, shoot your way forward, open doors, look for clues and stay alive, because there's only one life and no continues.
    As is customary in Sunsoft, the game looks and sounds very good: sprites and cutscenes are close to Tsukasa Hojo's artstyle (the backgrounds are quite unremarkable, though), all the sound rocks. Gameplay-wise, once you have it translated it's a readily accessible, Rolling Thunder-style game with that already aforementioned adventurous/explorative twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCNDVh21UiQ

A game that will make you go "boing" as Saeba even if you don't fancy City Hunter.

Thread Information