Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time to make a new game

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    LOL OK I totally misread your response. I didn't think it was an X Board at first, but then it looked like you were replying to my comment when you said "that wasn't too hard was it"

Which 16B game has a 12 MHz CPU though? I thought they were all clocked at 10. Unless I'm misunderstanding the P12 at the end of the name?
    Yeah they're clocked at 10 MHz, CPU is rated for 12 but can run at less (underclock) or more (overclock). All 16B boards are the same. There's a jumper that allows to change Z80 from 5 MHz to 4 MHz, but I never saw any game having that jumper at the 4 MHz position. The only boards you will see different are those modified to run Fantasy Zone II DX (I've done one myself), which will take the system from 16KB RAM to 256KB RAM (and some people call it System 16C, but that board never existed... commercially at least).

Our game will run on 16B unmodified as we don't expect anybody to go around changing the boards because we want to use more memory. According to our research, any extra RAM can be added directly on the ROM Board without any problems, but even so, I don't expect that we will need any additional RAM.

I'm going to make a new game for an exciting Sega platform. Visit my Patreon page.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Yeah they're clocked at 10 MHz, CPU is rated for 12 but can run at less (underclock) or more (overclock). All 16B boards are the same. There's a jumper that allows to change Z80 from 5 MHz to 4 MHz, but I never saw any game having that jumper at the 4 MHz position. The only boards you will see different are those modified to run Fantasy Zone II DX (I've done one myself), which will take the system from 16KB RAM to 256KB RAM (and some people call it System 16C, but that board never existed... commercially at least).

Our game will run on 16B unmodified as we don't expect anybody to go around changing the boards because we want to use more memory. According to our research, any extra RAM can be added directly on the ROM Board without any problems, but even so, I don't expect that we will need any additional RAM.
    OK thanks I always learn something new here

I've never seen one with the Z80 at 4 MHz either, it's always clocked at half the speed of the 68000. Forgot these only have 16KB RAM, that seems like a pretty significant limitation for some games. You do get 64 palettes though right?

Anyway look forward to whatever you make, count me in for buying on day one.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    OK thanks I always learn something new here

I've never seen one with the Z80 at 4 MHz either, it's always clocked at half the speed of the 68000. Forgot these only have 16KB RAM, that seems like a pretty significant limitation for some games. You do get 64 palettes though right?

Anyway look forward to whatever you make, count me in for buying on day one.
    Thanks a lot Axel!

It's interesting when we think of 16K RAM it seems like very little, considering the MD has much more than that. The thing with arcade boards, is that where they lack in RAM they have an enormous amount of ROM. System 16 has 4 buses, one dedicated to the Z80, and 3 dedicated to BG, Sprites, and the 68K code. With massive amounts of ROM and dedicated buses, basically there's no need to move certain things into RAM such as tiles, LUTs, etc. Tiles go from ROM directly to the VDP, for example... no middle man.

That definitely comes with limitations, such as not being able to compute tiles on memory, and I think the MD design evolved some of these things, and its main limitations are on having to keep the console price affordable. SNK didn't care and just slapped the arcade on a console case, changed the cartridge a bit and called it a day, but that resulted in a system that very few could own.

Like I said before, if the KS is very successful, we could build this game for multiple System boards, such as System 18 (has MD VDP), System C (almost a Mega Drive), System 24, 32... X Board etc. It would be really cool.

Ah and there's one more thing that I seem to forget mentioning, that in my game will obviously have a port for consoles as well, so Mega Drive is definitely going to be there. Since I'm targeting 68K+Z80 systems, Neo Geo is also in my sight. In fact, I'm also considering for each home port to be different than the arcade version. It's like it was in the arcade days: The arcade has the beefy version and the consoles get extra modes, and sometimes a spinoff the arcade version like Shadow Dancer and ESWAT.

I hope we can build some momentum so that the KS launch can be a success.

I'm going to make a new game for an exciting Sega platform. Visit my Patreon page.

Nameless One

Look forward to seeing what you do and the KS launch!
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Mega CD Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadarko View Post
    Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Thread Information