Quantcast

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Orgins.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    They sound fine.
    They sound like ass. Prototype tracks were butchered. Fans did a much better job (fing understatement):

Last edited by The Jackal; 06-28-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Replaced word. Me very dumb.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I see this "a bloo bloo bloo, stupid fans, if u dun liek it, play the old games" kvetching all over the Steam Forums every time someone has any detailed criticism of the new flavor of the month, and it's beyond tiresome. You can find amazing YM2612 musicians all over Youtube just by mashing the keyboard with your face. How bad music ends up in new productions is insane, and reeks of dirty dealings in back channels.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Just glad I have the Sonic Mega Collection/Ultimate Genesis Collection. The fact this had no physical was enough for me to never buy it but the other BS lol. Meanwhile the Capcom Fighting collection eats this shits lunch and dinner plus dessert.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

LOL, so very true. So many of the so-called SEGA fans and Sonic fans are little more, than Nintendo trolls these days.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    LOL, so very true. So many of the so-called SEGA fans and Sonic fans are little more, than Nintendo trolls these days.
    TA, you can be a fan of something and call them out on shit. I was looking forward to this collection, and I'm gutted they cocked it up.

Not sure what you on about with Nintendo trolls though, you lost me there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    TA, you can be a fan of something and call them out on shit. I was looking forward to this collection, and I'm gutted they cocked it up.

Not sure what you on about with Nintendo trolls though, you lost me there.
    It's not bad really other than no CRT filter and some sound bug's, sure it's no Sonic Jam, but then again, what classic collection ever matched that? Otherwise, it's a nice collection with no major issues and some nice content.

But just look Nintendo gang on here *you know who you are * moaning about the price of Origins, but having no issues with Nintendo asking full price for one game; with its 'basic' remaster of Zelda Skywalk Sword and better yet, to get all the content... Nintendo hides it behind a Zelda 25 Amiibo. Meaning you need to spend nearly 70, to get unlock all the content and yet 'they'll' moan, about a 5 difference for a deluxe version of Sonic Origins....

Let me tell you right now, Sonic Origins is a hell of a lot better than Sonic Mega Collection, nowhere near the same amount of bugs or issues and unlike the crappy PS2 Sonic Mega Collection, not locked at 50 Hz either.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

No TA it's not that much better. It's just the same recycled crap.
    05/05/15

The fact that you've had to acknowledge it's better, says something. Most would know Sonic Mega Collection, was far from perfect and Sonic Origins is a hell of a lot better value and also cheaper than Skyward Sword on the Switch. 70 for all the content is a proper piss-take, but not a single complaint from the Nintendo gang here?

I bet you've all, a lovely collection of Amiibo's and no doubt will all be rushing out to get another one with Metroid Prime remaster this year; which no doubt Nintendo will look to charge full price for, lock content behind an Amiibo, how it will be just one game a basic remaster and better yet if you make a video of you playing it, Nintendo will strike you on YouTube.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

So very true, The soundtrack is beyond SEGA's control. I've seen it in films too, I have a VHS version of The Thing that doesn't have a Superstition track in it, it gets silly at times and that was going back bloody years.
    Many games have now been delisted and withdrawn from sale over music rights and issues. One of my mates had to take down his wedding video, due to the music being played in the background, it's just getting ridiculous over music copyrights and the less said about YouTube the better.

And like you say, you can still play the MD originals
    The OST wasn't "beyond SEGA's control" they had the power to replace it with whatever they wanted and they chose shitty "refined" prototype tracks lol

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    The OST wasn't "beyond SEGA's control" they had the power to replace it with whatever they wanted and they chose shitty "refined" prototype tracks lol
    MJ is dead, that's way beyond SEGA control, don't tell us evil SOJ had him killed ...

Overlooking that... whatever songs SEGA replaced with, you wouldn't be happy and call it out, no doubt . It's still only one game at the of the day and even then, it's not like it was every track either.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

MJ is dead, that's way beyond SEGA control, don't tell us evil SOJ had him killed ...

Overlooking that... whatever songs SEGA replaced with, you wouldn't be happy and call it out, no doubt . It's still only one game at the of the day and even then, it's not like it was every track either.
    They could have just used the prototype tracks as is. There's a mod that does just that which a lot of people have already downloaded and are enjoying.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I still don't understand how music that was commissioned and recorded for a Sonic game all of a sudden can't be used in rereleases of the game. It isn't like the songs are Beat It and Thriller or other licensed radio songs. Why?

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I still don't understand how music that was commissioned and recorded for a Sonic game all of a sudden can't be used in rereleases of the game. It isn't like the songs are Beat It and Thriller or other licensed radio songs. Why?
    Yeah, RARE uses characters and properties that they developed under Nintendo, so how is it not possible for Sega to use music they paid for and helped develop?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Here is the way federal U.S. copyright works (I have my J.D.): Once you create something protected by copyright with the inherent creativity and originality threshold needed, the rights of exclusive use, duplication, publication and licensing vest with the creator automatically at the of creation. These rights are good for life of the creator + statutory period (usually 75 years depending on when in the last 50 years the work was created). Then it goes into the public domain. All creative works, regardless of whether theyre on the radio or not, has copyright rights held by the creator. You make an original composition, play it on a Yamaha synth keyboard, have the composition generated in FM synthesis on the Genesis soundchip, and then throw it on youtube? Thats your composition. I cant just throw it into a video game without your permission. You have exclusive rights to the redistribution and duplication of this work of art you just made.

So if you want to use any kind of music written by someone in a game, you need their express permission in a contract licensing you to use the music. Want to reuse it for a rerelease? You need to pay the rights holder, and if you dont already have a contract in place, youll need permission again and payment again, and again, and again. Depending on the contract, pure emulation of the game might be excluded, but based on recent exclusion of rereleases from SEGA, this is doubtful.

So unless there was a contract that says music composer is signing over the rights for SEGA to use this music for eternity in exchange for a dollar amount for this game and all rereleases and modifications of said game. Such contracts would require lawyer approval due to the timeframe to prevent potential unconscionability concerns, though in a contract between Michael Jackson and SEGA, hard to say who would have more bargaining power in 1991. But that clearly isn't what happened anyway.

However, copyrighted works created while under the employment of a company won't transfer the exclusive right unless the contract says so, but the company will always have a permanent right to use the music. So if I'm Jue Senoue, or Howard Drossin, and I work for SEGA, and I am their music composer for the games at a yearly salary, any music they use in the games is going to be able to be used likely in perpetuity. Because you created the work on their dime and time. It doesnt mean they own it, but it does mean they can use it.

Now Let's take the individual music composed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. SEGA holds the copyright to most of the games music, especially that which we dont know who wrote it. Soundtracks for many of the individual tracks from Sonic 3 have SEGA listed as the rights holder.

Seeing as the Sonic 3 music was quickly replaced in Sonic & Knuckles, then totally replaced in Sonic and Knuckles Collection for PC and subsequent nonemulation releases, I am inclined to think that the contract governing the use of the music composed by Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Scirocco Jones, Geoff Griggs and Michael Jackson only allowed for the licensed use in one issuance of one game. They certainly werent employed by SEGA. So Who knows what the contract terms were. The three level tracks showed up in Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Jam and future emulated copies, but thats it. We only know from an email response that Bobby Brooks was in litigation over SEGA's future use of the music from Sonic 3.

Seeing as all of the music is replaced now, its likely that SEGA either: 1. Couldnt come to an agreement with the rights holders to relicense the music for the rerelease or 2. Didn't want to pay what the rights holders were demanding for use of their music for rerelease. SEGA probably from a ease of re-release perspective also knows that they wont want to renegotiate the music rights for every future game.

The Crazy Taxi soundtrack is another good example of this. SEGA either couldn't relicense the music for the game, or they didnt want to pay what the rights holders were asking.
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-11-2022 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information