Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I suck at Virtua Racing Deluxe, please help!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Default I suck at Virtua Racing Deluxe, please help!

Hey friends, I really like VRD but I had always just played it casually and never cared that I never got 1st place. Recently I've been trying to get better but truth be told Im no Ricky Bobby. Anyone have any tips on how to get gud?

Use the manual transmission. Plan turns ahead of time, so you can fly around them. If you turn into them early just right, you can just skirt the apex and fly out the other side at almost full speed and accelerating.

The draw distance does you no favors on 32X. On Sand Park use the far-away view, or getting 1st becomes nearly impossible.

Even if you get first place you'll get a Game Over. Pretty exciting.

And if you get 1st place on every track, you still wonít get the credits (in the American version).

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Try the high overhead view for a while until you get a better feel for the track. It's easier to see what's coming, and it will give you a better feel for when to brake and when to initiate your turns. When the camera view is close behind your car, if you don't have the track memorized, you won't see what's coming until it's right in front of you, so it'll be more about reaction instead of anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Even if you get first place you'll get a Game Over. Pretty exciting.
    It is just about the most exciting Game Over I can think of actually. They play that little jingle, and the guy sings "Game (game) Ovah (ovah)," belting it out like a 70s soul singer. So even when you lose, you still win. Haha

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Well isn't there a mirror mode of all the tracks reversed, when you score in the top 5 of each stage, or something like that? I've never done it but I thought that's supposed to be the reward, if you get gud

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Well isn't there a mirror mode of all the tracks reversed, when you score in the top 5 of each stage, or something like that? I've never done it but I thought that's supposed to be the reward, if you get gud
    You have to come in 1st place on all 5 tracks. Then to pick mirror mode, I believe you hold left while pressing start at the main menu.

I used to be able to get the trophy on all tracks in Normal difficulty consistently, then enjoy the mirrored tracks. It's too bad there isn't an easier and quicker method, but each race isn't really that long, fortunately.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Anyone have any tips on how to get gud?
    Got a 32X with Virtua Racing Deluxe at launch and played it for countless hours + completed it for the "Can Sega-16 beat" challenge

In order to roll credits in the USA or PAL version you need to finish 1st on all 5 tracks on normal or hard difficulty. I highly recommend starting with the Stock car as it's the slowest of the 3 which makes it easier to learn the intricacies of each track. It's also the easiest car to win races with, as the AI cars are relatively "slow" .. with the exception of Highland at hard difficulty, getting a win there is easier using the Formula car ( imo ). And as mentioned, manual transmission helps as it gives you a higher top speed.

Good luck!

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Got a 32X with Virtua Racing Deluxe at launch and played it for countless hours + completed it for the "Can Sega-16 beat" challenge

I highly recommend starting with the Stock car as it's the slowest of the 3 which makes it easier to learn the intricacies of each track. It's also the easiest car to win races with, as the AI cars are relatively "slow" ..
    That's right! I remember more clearly now, I'd beat the 5 tracks with the Stock car to then be able to play mirror tracks in not too much time. Stock car races seemed easier.

Wildside Expert

One more thing .. even though i'd consider this a advanced technique it's worth being aware of & keeping in mind; there's a slipstream effect when you're driving closely behind another car that gives you a couple of extra mph / kph ( even beyond your regular top-speed ) which you can use to "slingshot" yourself to even faster lap times during a race

Did OP ever make some progress with his gameplay?

I've just barely managed to get 1st place in 2 tracks: Highland, my favorite, and then Big Forest, which is probably easiest. It's taken me a ton of practice repeating each track.

So it's memorization of one track, and skillfully using various strategies, like cutting close to corners to reduce distance and get ahead, gunning the gas pedal as continuously as possible... Not using brake but instead using gas pedal tapping to turn, or maybe even holding accel. and tapping D-pad to turn, if possible. Using the highest viewpoint usually. Driving Manual, with 7th for top speed, but if you get below that, use 6th to faster build up speed again.

Also if you mess up, then just pause and hold A, B, C to leave the race, because you really are hoping for a perfect race with no mistakes, to get 1st someday...

Also I got 1st in Acropolis, in addition to Big Forest and Highland. So 3 of the 5 stages.

It's annoying / disappointing that it works out this way, that each track just takes countless attempts until I get 1st, just barely, and yet I never feel like I've really mastered any tracks, even after getting 1st, one time.

I'm also not sure if I'm really going to stick it out for eventually winning 1st in Bay Bridge and Sand Hill, which seem most difficult / least enjoyable. Bay Bridge is like an obstacle course between all the hazards, and it's kind of ugly.

I might decide to just leave it at winning 1st in my 3 favorite tracks, maybe...

It's annoying / disappointing that it works out this way, that each track just takes countless attempts until I get 1st, just barely, and yet I never feel like I've really mastered any tracks, even after getting 1st, one time.
    Welcome to VR lol. FYI these skills will stay with you forever, it's like riding a bike. I can pick up Bay Bridge right now after having not touched VR for a few years and probably finish at least respectably.

might decide to just leave it at winning 1st in my 3 favorite tracks, maybe...
    It's too late, you have already invested more effort than any sane person, you have to finish. It's interesting, your experience is very different from mine. Highland was the hardest for me by far, every curve just has to be perfect or you lose, Bay Bridge is so much more forgiving than Highland.

I'm also assuming you're playing on the hardest difficulty.

I feel like playing VR again...

Wildside Expert

Gotta agree with Blades, I have finished first on every course in the distant past but I can definitely remember Highland giving me the most trouble, I think I only could finish first in the stock car rather than the F1 car on that course.

Thanks for responses guys, I'm otherwise just playing VRD on my own here, lol.

And yeah I can tell that it's building up skill, over repeated practice, so it is actually satisfying, eventually.

I managed to get 1st in Bay Bridge so now I've beaten all 4 courses besides Sand Park as the final course. But I'm starting out strong and I just need to get gud, in those handful of sharp turns, and then I'll win.

Sand Park just has those few sharp turns as difficult, but it otherwise seems like a relatively easy, fun stage, to cruise around and enjoy.

As for difficulty, it seems that of the original 3 tracks, Bay Bridge is probably meant for the medium difficulty.

I think what happened is that I focused on the tracks in order of how much i liked the tracks. Highland is my favorite because it reminds me of visiting Estes Park, Colorado, in the past. I just enjoy being there, so it was the first track I won. Then Big Forest is kinda nice, then Acropolis is fun.

Then I was left with Bay Bridge as the last track to master, before Sand Park.

I think the graphics kind of put me off. Bay Bridge on 32x has an ugly ocean background, and actually the 16-bit version has a nicer ocean background. Plus the lay-out is probably the most annoying, it's like everywhere is a place that you can spin-out, or some other random hazard. But of course, the annoyance goes away, the better you get at the gameplay of it.

...Also I've been playing NORMAL difficulty, why are you guys on the most difficult setting, because you mastered the normal setting already?

Thread Information