Quantcast

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Japan execs were upset that Kalinske was allowed to resign w/o taking blame for 32X

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    We'll see, He's one talent all SEGA fans should be happy is gone. We'll start to see the creative side of SEGA back again, the only bad point was he took Hosokawa-san with him.
    Still we got Ueda-san back, so not all bad

happy that the monkey ball/yakuza creator (nevermind the best f-zero game nintendo ever saw) is gone? why exactly?

yakuza (up to the last entry) has been a beat-em-up action RPG and constant love letter to classic sega fans. it may not be for everyone, but this is silly, and oddly par for the course with you here.
    literally the worst you can say is that his studio was a victim of their own success & after the series caught on, they continued sequels/spinoffs trying to add to campaigns & evolve the series. hell, the one outing they had in recent years was binary domain, which was also fantastic but sadly not well received

the notion that a talent like him - helping put out quality work during the post sammy days, one of segas darkest periods - was somehow "limiting creativity" (much less his absence something "fans should celebrate" is yet another of your irrational narratives about a figure you don't like, with no other basis.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    happy that the monkey ball/yakuza creator (nevermind the best f-zero game nintendo ever saw) is gone? why exactly?

yakuza (up to the last entry) has been a beat-em-up action RPG and constant love letter to classic sega fans. it may not be for everyone, but this is silly, and oddly par for the course with you here.
    literally the worst you can say is that his studio was a victim of their own success & after the series caught on, they continued sequels/spinoffs trying to add to campaigns & evolve the series. hell, the one outing they had in recent years was binary domain, which was also fantastic but sadly not well received

the notion that a talent like him - helping put out quality work during the post sammy days, one of segas darkest periods - was somehow "limiting creativity" (much less his absence something "fans should celebrate" is yet another of your irrational narratives about a figure you don't like, with no other basis.
    Well, I never liked F-Zero GX myself, overlooking the amazing art style. The game was too hard and too brutal to be enjoyable. I loved Monkey Ball and SpikeOut mind. Overlooking I never liked the attitude of Naka, Nagoshi or Miyoshi. My main issue with Nagoshi-san was after he was made top of the development process inside SEGA becoming manager of the Creative control centre at SEGA in 2003, SEGA's creativity (for me) died a slow and painful death. It seemed to me like any time the teams, were submitting their proposals to get the green light, in would come Nagoshi-san and say we'll try making yet another Yakuza, meeting closed ..

Moneyball was run into the ground and while amazingly the quality is still high with the Yakuza games, it's just the same style of game, time and time again, taking place in the same city, one that we 1st saw in 2005/6.
    It really got to me that I saw Capcom move forward and look to make new IP's push ahead with great tech, while it was endless Yakuza's games from SEGA. It's oversimplifying things a lot, but I love to see the team move on from Yakuza or give the team 3 years to make a new one and for it to move out of Japan say...gangsters don't just stay and operate in the land of their birth. I was sick of Nagoshi-san, much like Miyamoto-san putting his name to almost every SEGA title, take credit for the good, but none of the bad...

Hopefully, with Nagoshi-san gone, we'll have some creativity again at SEGA Japan, and other games will now get a chance, more so with Satomi Jr looking to fund more console projects
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker fr0zenbuttox's Avatar

on a similar note, naka responded to a question on the cancelling of sonic xtreme, https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/...Cj-aXfnfEqAAAA it begs the question if he was even aware of the game's existence to me.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    We'll see, He's one talent all SEGA fans should be happy is gone. We'll start to see the creative side of SEGA back again, the only bad point was he took Hosokawa-san with him.
    Still we got Ueda-san back, so not all bad
    I agree, the main issues Sega had for a decade, was the a single man (and even one of the most conservative in Sega) had total creative control of Sega console output.
    And in fact we got only sequel after sequel of Yakuza, with other series relegated to a corner (Sonic included).
    We got lucky with a new Sakura Wars entry just because Satomi Jr. was pushing for it as a fan of the series.

A company cannot work like that, they cannot greenlight only the series the higher-up likes, and constantly rejecting the rest that doesn't suite their tastes.

I'm looking forward to see Sega finally free from Nagoshi regime, even if it will took years to change that "armored structure" (everything still revolves around Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, look for example to VF5US, this needs to change).
    Too bad that together with Hosowaka, Nagoshi took also Daisuke Sato.
    And we are left with the worst members of RGG: Masayoshi "copy/paste" Yokoyama and the amaterur Ryusuke Horii (that should just make karaoke songs and stay away from director role...)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    I agree, the main issues Sega had for a decade, was the a single man (and even one of the most conservative in Sega) had total creative control of Sega console output.
    And in fact we got only sequel after sequel of Yakuza, with other series relegated to a corner (Sonic included).
    We got lucky with a new Sakura Wars entry just because Satomi Jr. was pushing for it as a fan of the series.

A company cannot work like that, they cannot greenlight only the series the higher-up likes, and constantly rejecting the rest that doesn't suite their tastes.

I'm looking forward to see Sega finally free from Nagoshi regime, even if it will took years to change that "armored structure" (everything still revolves around Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, look for example to VF5US, this needs to change).
    Too bad that together with Hosowaka, Nagoshi took also Daisuke Sato.
    Up until Naka-san left SEGA it was He and Nagoshi-san at the top of the Creative control centre and had full say and power on what games were to be green light and you only got to look at how many Yakuza games to see it was a waste of time from many SEGA staff members to even try and submit their proposals to be approved, because Nagoshi-and would just green light any Yakuza game and given their the big budgets and that killed the creative side of SEGA

Thinks are looking up at SEGA now Nagoshi-san is gone on the creative side, Satomi Jr did well with Sakura Wars and he and his dad are meant to be big fans of PSO and I've heard the next PSO game is meant to be massive and have a huge budget, it should be something really special.

I am a bit gutted to see Hosowaka-san leave. Hate seeing another member of the TA crew leave SEGA
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Didn't realize that. I always thought 1995 was a great year for the SNES. Just looking at the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_i...me_video_games it appears the SNES/SFC outsold everything else. But I look forward to seeing what you found.
    SNES software sell-in peaked in the fiscal year ending March 1994.
    In the fiscal year ending March 1995 Nintendo cut their inventory in half to be more efficient (read: to be more profitable).

Nintendo consoles software sales (sell-in) for each fiscal year:

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I'm actually translating an article now regarding the 16-bit market in the US in 1995. Spoiler: it was dead.

Apparently console sales don't reflect what was going on with software sales. It turns out that people who buy budget previous-gen consoles don't exactly buy a lot of new games too (ok, this is not at all surprising).
    I don't doubt publishers had trouble with unsold inventories however, based on estimates from NPD, SNES and Genesis software sold over 17 million units each in 1995 in US.
    Not dead at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post

I don't doubt publishers had trouble with unsold inventories however, based on estimates from NPD, SNES and Genesis software sold over 17 million units each in 1995 in US.
    Not dead at all.

Well there's probably a few questions that should be answered along with that:

1) What was the total amount of software sold in prior years (is 17 Million down from previous years for the Genesis?)
    2) How much of that software was First Party vs Third Party?
    3) How much total software was produced compared to what sold?

For 1995 comparing to 32-bit stuff is a bit odd as they weren't really on the market long enough and there wasn't a lot of software available to sell at launch. So it's expected to not see as much software sell.

However, the total amount produced and break down between first and third party would be interesting to see. Because if they were still producing like it was 1992 but sales of first party titles weren't matching, that could cause a huge problem. We see some evidence of this in a game like Sonic 3. Sonic 3 and later Sonic and Knuckles sold significantly less copies than their earlier counterparts when they came out in 1994. So if they ended up producing cartridges expecting sales numbers they got for the earlier games, that would lead to an issue.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Not dead at all.
    'Dead' is hyperbole - the market was crashing and could no longer reasonably sustain publishers.

Read the article.

Sega director Shunichi Nakamura: "we can’t earn a profit because the software—the most essential part—is just not selling."

SOA basically broke even in FY95. I think they were a few million dollars in the black.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Well there's probably a few questions that should be answered along with that:

1) What was the total amount of software sold in prior years (is 17 Million down from previous years for the Genesis?)
    2) How much of that software was First Party vs Third Party?
    3) How much total software was produced compared to what sold?
    There are more questions than that. That graph and statements like "SNES and Genesis software sold over 17 million units each in 1995 in US" are not really relevant to the question of "was the 16-bit market healthy in 1995?"

The article I posted above highlights the problem of there being an over-abundance of cheap software on the market, and publishers / retailers were clearancing out inventory to try to cut losses.

Just take a look at this Toys R Us ad from ~Oct 1995: https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/...28371428470785

Some great Genesis games like Gunstar Heroes selling for just $20. Sega CD games for $10! Starfox and F-Zero for $20. Those games were not turning a profit (yet they would still count in NPD total numbers).

I'll also repost this graph to show how hard Sega was being hit in 1995:

https://mdshock.com/2021/04/14/segas...nue-1991-1998/

Hero of Algol

There are more questions than that. That graph and statements like "SNES and Genesis software sold over 17 million units each in 1995 in US" are not really relevant to the question of "was the 16-bit market healthy in 1995?"

The article I posted above highlights the problem of there being an over-abundance of cheap software on the market, and publishers / retailers were clearancing out inventory to try to cut losses.

Just take a look at this Toys R Us ad from ~Oct 1995: https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/...28371428470785

Some great Genesis games like Gunstar Heroes selling for just $20. Sega CD games for $10! Starfox and F-Zero for $20. Those games were not turning a profit (yet they would still count in NPD total numbers).

I'll also repost this graph to show how hard Sega was being hit in 1995:

We also don't have enough information (if any) on the license costs, development costs, and actual revenue of games such as Demolition Man, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Disney's Toy Story and Batman Forever.

I honestly don't see how companies would turn a profit with 2D/16-bit games in a market saturated with big-license games, pack-in "free" games, tons of shovelware, liquidation of older Genesis/Sega CD/SNES games, and recently-released 32X games, arcade market dead for regular 2D games, game magazines filled with 5th gen previews and reviews.

The 4th gen console hardware also had been well explored by 1993/1994; for the most part, you wouldn't get 1995 games that would look leaps and bounds better than the previous years' games without resorting to additional hardware and even polygonal 3D games on the SNES and Genesis weren't a novelty anymore.
    The difference between Earthworm Jim and Earthworm Jim 2 is marginal, the same for DKC and DKC2, NBA Jam and NBA Jam TE, etc.

Just from that ad: which 1995 games looked/sounded better than Gunstar Heroes, F-Zero, StarFox, Sega CD's Ecco: The Tides of Time? And which ones looked/sounded superior enough to cost 2x or 3x more than those?
    That's a real problem and a difficult one to solve. 3D or bust.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-17-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    We know from the Sato interview they were selling at about a 10,000 Yen (~$92) loss at launch.
    Here's some new info on the manufacturing cost of the PlayStation at launch:

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeo Maruyama
    We set the price of the PlayStation at ¥39,800. The actual cost was over ¥50,000, but at that price children wouldn't be able to buy it. We decided to sell the hardware at a loss and to make up the difference through software royalties.
    https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQ...2A500C2000000/ (Japanese / paywall)

I don't think I've ever read any indication before that the PlayStation cost so much to manufacture initially. The Saturn is always criticized for being expensive to manufacture, but it looks like the PlayStation's cleaner design wasn't exactly cheap. Of course, one big difference was that a lot of the cost of the PlayStation was flowing back into Sony.

Hero of Algol

An unrelated event also has had a significant effect on Nintendo’s thinking: the success of Donkey Kong Country. The developer, a small British outfit named Rare Ltd., tweaked the 16-bit software code on the game itself to achieve a dramatic improvement in the appearance and action of the characters, including the star ape. Kids were so impressed with the realistic graphics that Nintendo has sold some three million copies in the U.S., grossing an estimated $200 million.

Nintendo now is convinced that there’s life yet in the 16-bit market and that it can be milked for big profits for at least another year. A spurt in the existing video-game market would mean the transition to the Ultra 64 is less urgent. At the Las Vegas trade show in January, Mr. Lincoln told distributors that a Donkey Kong sequel will be out this Christmas, along with other improved 16-bit games. Recently he reiterated that vow for the holiday shopping season, saying: ``We will have the strongest lineup of 16-bit titles this year.″
    May 5, 1995
    https://apnews.com/article/7fd28783a...ff6a9a4f7d59d1

Here's some new info on the manufacturing cost of the PlayStation at launch:

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQ...2A500C2000000/ (Japanese / paywall)

I don't think I've ever read any indication before that the PlayStation cost so much to manufacture initially. The Saturn is always criticized for being expensive to manufacture, but it looks like the PlayStation's cleaner design wasn't exactly cheap. Of course, one big difference was that a lot of the cost of the PlayStation was flowing back into Sony.
    So if that's accurate, it seems like they both cost similar amounts to manufacture with Saturn being about ¥4,800 more (¥44,800 launch price + ¥10,000 from the Sato Interview).

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Nintendo sold off some publishing rights to several of their greatest hits titles to a company in Mexico. I have a copy of Super Metroid (GH) that was packaged and distributed through Mexico and those, along with Super Star Wars and several other titles, were being sold for $19.99 at Toys R' Us. Really, they're older titles by then.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Nintendo sold off some publishing rights to several of their greatest hits titles to a company in Mexico. I have a copy of Super Metroid (GH) that was packaged and distributed through Mexico and those, along with Super Star Wars and several other titles, were being sold for $19.99 at Toys R' Us. Really, they're older titles by then.
    You mean Nintendo's 'Player's Choice' line? That didn't start until 1996, and the games had different packaging.

The games in that ad are old stock. I don't think there's any way Nintendo could make a profit off of a $20 Starfox with Super FX chip and all.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

You mean Nintendo's 'Player's Choice' line? That didn't start until 1996, and the games had different packaging.

The games in that ad are old stock. I don't think there's any way Nintendo could make a profit off of a $20 Starfox with Super FX chip and all.
    It may have been Majesco published titles.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information