Quantcast

Thread: Screensavers for 16-bit consoles?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Lycanphoenix's Avatar

Default Screensavers for 16-bit consoles?

An idea popped into my head a while back, and again recently, regarding the idea of making screensavers for retro consoles. For example, making one for the MD or 32X in the form of a lock-on cartridge, which would automatically detect when the game was paused and the image was stationary, and start displaying a screensaver.

Admittedly, this is an extremely niche sort of idea, but nonetheless I want to know what everyone thinks of this. "3D Flowerbox for the 32X" has a nice ring to it, imho.
    Poke me on Discord: “Amaroq the Kitsune#1092”.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

If you really have a Plasma or OLED TV that suffers burn-in, it's the job of the TV to detect a static picture.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    If you really have a Plasma or OLED TV that suffers burn-in, it's the job of the TV to detect a static picture.
    Not only that but it seems difficult if not impossible for a device in the cart slot to read the video output and decide if it's static. It would need its own video passthrough like the 32X to do that. Even if that could be worked around this still seems impossible because even when a game is paused it is still running subroutines to update the screen and poll the controllers for input etc so you can't just jump in with your own code to start drawing a screensaver.

Maybe it could be done on the Teradrive?

If you're that worried about needing a screensaver then switch the TV off until you get back.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Lycanphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Some people still use CRTs and rear-projection TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    If you're that worried about needing a screensaver then switch the TV off until you get back.
    Screensavers also have a certain aesthetic, not to mention amusement factor.

I personally grew up around screensavers, so not having them at all makes me feel kinda empty inside.
    Poke me on Discord: “Amaroq the Kitsune#1092”.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the attract mode in games. Not every game has one of course, but many do, particularly arcade ports. So after I finish a game, or if I've just hit the wall with it for the night, I often let it revert to the title screen and let the attract mode run for a bit while I catch up with my correspondences on the phone or whatever. It would be cool if a game automatically let this mode run if you had it paused for over a minute or so, and then it would kick back to your current game when you picked up the controller and unpaused it. I like the idea.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the attract mode in games. Not every game has one of course, but many do, particularly arcade ports. So after I finish a game, or if I've just hit the wall with it for the night, I often let it revert to the title screen and let the attract mode run for a bit while I catch up with my correspondences on the phone or whatever. It would be cool if a game automatically let this mode run if you had it paused for over a minute or so, and then it would kick back to your current game when you picked up the controller and unpaused it. I like the idea.
    That seems like something you could do on the Everdrive with a firmware update. After a set period of inactivity, say 10 minutes, save the game state then soft reset to go back to attract mode. Press any button and it loads your saved state.

Thread Information