Quantcast

Thread: NIB Dreamcast with working clock battery

Wildside Expert

Default NIB Dreamcast with working clock battery

How unusual is this? I bought a brand new Sega Sports Dreamcast on eBay 2 week ago. I couldn’t resist! The thing looks so cool in black and getting a new one brings me back. But what’s really surprising is after 5 full days of being powered off it still retains the date and time. I am in total shock! This model is from August 2000. How long do these battery’s usually last before they stop keeping a charge and need replacement? Doesn’t anyone here still have a Dreamcast with an original battery that still works?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

CR2032 last 10-30 years, but usually not more than 20. However the Dreamcast's mobo battery seems to be a rechargeable one, LR2032, a li-ion one. Those have different characteristics.

A rechargeable battery's one charge lasts less, but the entire thing is fairly durable. Probably some capacity loss over the years.

Lucky duck, finding a brand new Sports DC! I've always wanted one of þoſe. Definitely þe cooleſt looking dreamcaſt. I even like þe Sega Sports logo on top.

Wildside Expert

Yeah as soon as I saw it I snatched it! Wasn’t cheap though

My Dreamcast's original battery fully stopped working sometime around 2004 and that was with regular use. I have no idea how yours is still working.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, both of my DC batteries are dead. I always have to enter the date when I power it up.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    My Dreamcast's original battery fully stopped working sometime around 2004 and that was with regular use. I have no idea how yours is still working.
    Batteries are complicated.
    Maybe is due to the few charge/discharge cycle. Or whatever related to the battery chemistry.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I just installed a socket in mine, though I have yet to replace the controller board fuse with one of the auto-resetting fuses I bought forever ago. Also have yet to install some sort of ODE. Ah, the fun of working 12 hour shifts with an hour commute. All the things, none of the time or energy.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I bought a brand new DC off ebay in 2005 so I could have 2 DC's and the battery died after a year so that's pretty nuts lol.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Thread Information