Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petscii Robots - New Mega Drive Game by 'The 8-bit Guy'

Exclamation Petscii Robots - New Mega Drive Game by 'The 8-bit Guy'

Hi there,

Surprised to see no topic about this one. Looks excellent. And the Mega Drive version has a unique 2-player split screen co-op mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoU3ZAOEaFc&t=672s

This looks pretty good, and I like 8-bit Guy. I will have to pick this up. I wish he had more game play and an overview of how the game works.

Genesis

It has been mentioned in the new physical releases thread but it does deserve its own topic.

The video below covers the Genesis version from 10:15.

The whole series of videos on the development of the game and the ports is worth a watch too!

You can pre-order the physical version here.

The ROM is also available and is included for people who order the physical release.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Frost Blossom's Avatar

looks neat but 8-bit guy? ehhh

He originally went under the name of "I-book guy / i-mac guy etc...". But once he started focusing on more than the Apple computers, then he changed it to 8-bit guy.

It is also worth noting that David wrote the original game for the Commodore PET and some of the other Commodore systems. But the Genesis, Atari, Amiga, and several of the other ports on other systems were done by others using David's source code.

I pre-order my physical copy for this version and have been playing the ROM on my Genesis quite a bit since. I think it is quite fun to play!

He ſhould make a port for že ultimate 8-bit conſole, že PC Engine & TurboGrafx-16. I know he's a huge 6502 fan, & že PCE was baſically že final & moſt powerful machine in žat lineage AFAIK. PETSCII Robots would be an excellent fit for že PCE. I would love a HuCARD of žat…

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    He originally went under the name of "I-book guy / i-mac guy etc...". But once he started focusing on more than the Apple computers, then he changed it to 8-bit guy.

It is also worth noting that David wrote the original game for the Commodore PET and some of the other Commodore systems. But the Genesis, Atari, Amiga, and several of the other ports on other systems were done by others using David's source code.

I pre-order my physical copy for this version and have been playing the ROM on my Genesis quite a bit since. I think it is quite fun to play!
    Could you give us a little overview of the game play, etc? What could you compare it to? How does it play?

SEGA-Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Could you give us a little overview of the game play, etc? What could you compare it to? How does it play?

SEGA-Jorge
    I suppose. I'm completely sure what else to compare it with but here is the general gist of the game and game play:

Main Goal:
    The goal of each map that you can play in the game is always the same. That is, to destroy all of the robots on that map. How you accomplish that is where the game play really comes in.

Game play:
    As stated, the game's goal is to destroy the robots that are present on each map. However, the maps are not connected in any way. So when you choose with map or level you want to play at the beginning, then the game ends when you the player has died or all of the robots have been destroyed on the map/level you are playing.

There are 3 different robot types and each moves and behaves a little differently. They are place on each map in a set part of each level and are always moving their preset movement patters even when you can't see them on screen. Some of the robots are docile until provoked. Some will immediately shoot towards your player character when they are in direct line of sight. The biggest robot known as the Evilbot, does not shoot at you, but will follow towards the player directly to instead physically attack the player.

The player has a number of tools at their disposal to try and take out the robots. You have two primary weapons being a pistol and plasma rifle. However, the ammo is limited and usually direct combat with the robots isn't the best method for taking them out. The player can also find Magnets, time-bombs, and EMP devices to immobilize or stun the robots or destroy them as is the case with the time-bombs. However, the greatest weapon in the game to use against the robots is the environment and the player's creativity in moving objects around in the levels to setup traps for the robots to go into. As an example, a room full of explosive containers is sure to take out quite a few robots if you can find ways to lure them in there.

Each of the robot types will take only a few shots of the pistol or a single time-bomb places close to them to take them out. Others will require multiple bombs and many more pistol shots, but might be taken down with a single plasma rifle shot. Again the goal of each map is to find ways to use your weapons and the map to your advantage so that you can avoid direct combat with the robots. You only have a single life in the game as you play each map and that life has a set health bar. As the player takes damage from robot's that shoot at you or come in contact with you in attack mode, the health bar will deplete. Once your all of your health is gone, the player character is dead and the game for that map has ended. However, one of the items you can find are health kits that when used will bring the player's health bar back to full. Assuming you have enough points in the health kit to do so. If not, then the player regains as much health as is points in the kit they are holding.

The way you find the tools and weapons is by searching objects on the map. Could be desks, file cabinets, boxes/crates, or kitchen counters. Not all items are searchable and the game makes this known by simply not allowing those items to be searched. But not all searchable items will contain items either. The objects you can find are NOT randomized and will always appear in the same places when you load up a map. So while they items are found in different places on each map, they will always be found in the same places for that map. Some parts of a map are not always accessible to the player until Keys for some locked doors are found first by searching.

As stated the game for a map ends when the player dies or defeats all of the different robots and then uses the teleporter on the map to officially teleport off the map and end the game. Teleporters can be found early but are only active once all the robots on the map have been defeated.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

YouTube

Here is gameplay tutorial from The 8-bit Guy himself:

Just ordered the Standard Box of this. $10 extra, for an autograph, is a bit steep for my pockets.
    Last edited by Iced Snowman; 06-12-2022 at 03:43 AM.

I think it looks quite good. I'll have to order it. Thanks for sharing the gameplay videos!

SEGA-Jorge

I got my copy in the mail today. I was very disappointed that it came in an oversized cardboard box, instead of the standard plastic clamshell. I can't put it on the shelf, w/ all my other Genesis games, because of its height. The manual, however, is also oversized and fantastic. Every page is in color w/ high quality gloss. Cartridge is meh, however the board has the best beveling that I have ever seen on an independent release. Sides need to be chamfered, which is no big deal. The cartridge will literally bang around in the case because there is no cardboard indentation to secure it. Those are just my first impressions. I haven't had any time to play the game yet.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Snowman View Post
    I got my copy in the mail today. I was very disappointed that it came in an oversized cardboard box, instead of the standard plastic clamshell.
    I'm guessing these boxes and manuals are the same dimensions as those that come with the PC versions in order to minimize costs. If I had some high quality scans I could easily make up a genesis clamshell insert in Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by RedShift View Post
    I'm guessing these boxes and manuals are the same dimensions as those that come with the PC versions in order to minimize costs. If I had some high quality scans I could easily make up a genesis clamshell insert in Photoshop.
    This is correct. And while the beveling on the cartridge might be good, it looks to be using the standard generic flash rom PCBs that you can get. Meaning... I'm not sure it has the proper stuff to handle the +5v correctly. Although I still feel that is more of a risk to the cartridge and the chips on it vs any actual danger to the console itself.

It is also using the snap together genesis cartridge shells with the faux screws molded into the back case. There was a recent updated rom released for the digital version of the game too since there are a number of bugs in the cartridge released version. Most aren't that big a deal being just a graphic glitch here or there, but I did find one semi game breaking one that I reported to the dev who did confirm it and fix is in the newer released binary.

Got the rom download, it's not too bad. The scrolling is a little rough but the mechanics are simple enough (I prefer the 3 button layout). The graphics work and the sounds are pretty nice and thumpy.

Thread Information