• SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive

10 62.50%
  • SEGA Saturn

4 25.00%
  • SEGA Dreamcast

2 12.50%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: SEGA console with the best overall soundtracks?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Media SEGA console with the best overall soundtracks?

I don't think I need to post any examples as I trust people here are familiar enough with enough games on each system to have an idea. But feel free to post some examples if you want.

While I love the Dreamcast, I have to say it's the SEGA Saturn. It has so many great ones and the ability to listen to many of them on a CD player helps get a better idea. I not only love the music but the synth or whatever you call it sound of many CD-based games of that era. SEGA's first-party knocked it out of the park as usual for them but even getting to Shmup games, RPGs and stuff like Bulk Slash. Policenauts and Snatcher. It's honestly amazing. Grandia has one of the best themes for an RPG on top of its great OST. Panzer Dragoon's theme and music are just out of this world. I could go on forever.

I'd rank Genesis not far behind Saturn and Dreamcast 3rd and Master System last but not least. I'm one of the few that likes Master Systems sound more than NES despite growing up with an NES.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Best to Least Best:

Mega Drive
    SMS
    Saturn
    Dreamcast

SMS is my favorite though.

System generated chip sound is infinitely better than derpy sample shifting or pre-rendered music. The SMS and MD both have PSG and FM. That's about as good as it gets.

They also benefit from having games from the 80's and early 90's. Before game music tried to be more like film soundtracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

The Saturn has some of my most loved video game music. I didnít have a CD player in my car, so I ripped the Red Book audio (Galactic Attack) from the CD and put it on a tape. When I made a YouTube video from my visit to the National Video Game Museum, I opened it up with a song from that game. I also, absolutely loved the music from (all of the Capcom fighter's music was gold) Street Fighter Alpha 2; It just rocks. And a huge nod to the music from Panzer Dragoon.

And who doesn't love the music from Daytona?

I have to give the nod to the the Dreamcast at number 2. The soundtrack for Phantasy Star Online is amazing. Crazy Taxi has some pretty rockiní jams from the likes of The Offspring and a few others. And who doesnít love the music from Skies of Arcadia?

I have a love/hate relationship with the Genesis sound hardware. It could produce some amazing tunes, like those from Dragonís Fury, Herzog Zwie and Lightening Force; Technosoft just owned it. SEGA also had some amazing tunes with Phantasy Star II, Streets of Rage and the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It also had a lot of duds, like the music for Super Thunderblade, Street Fighter II: CE and Virtua Racing.

It's hard to believe that such a soundtrack could come from the Genesis hardware.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-26-2022 at 07:17 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I'll vote Genesis/MD as my top.

That system is host to both the greatest 16-bit bangers, but also a few ear shredding abominations. I guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet. Still, the YM2612+PSG can create some amazing tracks that still hold up today. Overall though, I would say the Genesis has the best soundtrack of any SEGA console.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Saturn for me.

Just does not get any better than this

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I'm going with the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.

MD/GEN
    (X/Y Board)
    (System 16 variants)
    SMS (prefer PSG to FM here overall)
    Saturn
    MCD
    (Multi PCM)
    (OutRun)
    GG
    DC
    (Hang-On)
    32X
    (System 18)
    (System Multi 32)
    (System 32)
    SG-1000

Arcade boards in parenthesis. That said I'm still not that familiar with the DC's library.

Genesis. The first 3 Sonic OSTs are some of my all-time favorite video game music.

Master of Shinobi

The H1 board seems to have the best track record, 100% of its games had great soundtracks (it had one game).

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Saturn, hands down. Some bangers there, personal faves being Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter, and Sega Rally.

This was a tough choice to me as I love a lot of the music on the Saturn. The Genesis barely edges it out.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Thunderforce IV on the MD is a massive highlight. The thing I love about that era of gaming, in particular reference to sound, is the big difference in characteristics between the hardware types: you really can debate about your favourite game versions.

MK being a great example, as the MD soundtrack is very different but equally excellent in comparison to its counterparts, really nailing the vibe whilst sounding unique and playing to the MD's strengths.

Thread Information