Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fight Ultimate

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

A new video that looks promising: https://twitter.com/MXRetroDev/statu...43663530397696

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    That looks just about perfect

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One aMaru's Avatar

WOW!!! This is an exciting project.

And this video indeed looks promising.
    Use of colors seems improved compared to the opening sequence of stage 1 from the trailer.
    Looking forward to more updates!

First level gameplay, enjoy guys!

Interestingly, the original arcade game does not have shadows when characters are off the ground, but he added them in this port. So he's trying to improve on the game in subtle ways.

The visuals are solid, noticed some extra animation with the katana and how the blood moves. Gameplay seems pretty off however, kinda doubt he'll be able to match the Sega CD port.
    Last edited by Vludi; 06-27-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Wildside Expert Hairlesswookiee's Avatar

I'm definitely going to give this a playthrough in the future. I'm not the biggest Final Fight fan, but I do love the Beat 'Em Up genre so I'll keep playing them as they come out, with updates.
    Toys: PS5, PS3,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
    I'm definitely going to give this a playthrough in the future. I'm not the biggest Final Fight fan, but I do love the Beat 'Em Up genre so I'll keep playing them as they come out, with updates.
    Same here when it gets released

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    The visuals are solid, noticed some extra animation with the katana and how the blood moves. Gameplay seems pretty off however, kinda doubt he'll be able to match the Sega CD port.
    Well it was just a test video they haven't finished it so right now we were seeing just a demo of the mega drive version showing it can be made for the mega drive so they have alot of time to make this version better then Sega CD and Arcade

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Dunno about that, he's not Hidecade and so far he seems more capable with the graphical stuff than replicating the gameplay. I imagine that the game is hard to program considering all the subtleties in enemy behavior, rank, rng, item drops and combat.
    Still hope they can match/improve the SCD port, the best possible outcome would be a slightly worse looking Sharp x68000 port.
    Last edited by Vludi; 06-30-2022 at 05:08 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

It is the version that should have appeared at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by masteries View Post
    I'm glad it's coming tho now I don't have to buy a silly Sega CD which failed in my eyes

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Dunno about that, he's not Hidecade and so far he seems more capable with the graphical stuff than replicating the gameplay. I imagine that the game is hard to program considering all the subtleties in enemy behavior, rank, rng and combat.
    Still hope they can match/improve the SCD port, the best possible outcome would be a slightly worse looking Sharp x68000 port.

I think it's good to be realistic about our expectations, but I also think that, if you were to pick a 90's arcade game to convert to a 4th gen console, a CPS-1 game being ported to the Genesis/MD is about as ideal as it can get, and the game being Final Fight, one of the best known, well-documented arcade games of the 90's, with a goal of getting it running on hardware that is so damn close to the coin-op, is pretty much the best place to start. Not only that, the console already has a damn fine port available, so there's lots of material to draw from.

I'm pretty happy this port is being worked on, and I hope the devs are successful with this project. So far, it's looking, sounding, and moving great.

Edit: I noticed that I accidentally clicked the Mod Edit Post button, rather than the Reply with Quote button. My apologies. It wasn't my intention to make it appear as if I was editing your post.

Quote Originally Posted by masteries View Post
    There's no way such a high-quality port could have been made back then. It's just like the aMaru's Ghouls & Ghosts improvement hack, there's no way the game could have been that good back then, given the constraints of the time.

Master of Shinobi

Interestingly, the original arcade game does not have shadows when characters are off the ground, but he added them in this port. So he's trying to improve on the game in subtle ways.
    You guys are so observant. I would never have picked up on those details.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I think it's good to be realistic about our expectations, but I also think that, if you were to pick a 90's arcade game to convert to a 4th gen console, a CPS-1 game being ported to the Genesis/MD is about as ideal as it can get, and the game being Final Fight, one of the best known, well-documented arcade games of the 90's, with a goal of getting it running on hardware that is so damn close to the coin-op, is pretty much the best place to start. Not only that, the console already has a damn fine port available, so there's lots of material to draw from.

I'm pretty happy this port is being worked on, and I hope the devs are successful with this project. So far, it's looking, sounding, and moving great.
    I agree. Final Fight was revolutionary when it came out. I remember when it was new in the arcades, everyone wanted to play it, the graphics were considered very realistic back then. I didn't see the SNES port until a couple years later, at the time I thought "wow this is just like the arcade" except 1 player. Without the benefit of seeing the games side by side it was hard to tell how much was missing. So if a port like Final Fight Ultimate had come out back in the day, people would have had their minds blown. Nobody would have cared that the colors are a little different or if enemy patterns aren't exactly the same.

The one issue this is going to have, and it's true for every 4th gen console, is that there's no way to match the sprite capabilities of the CPS1. Arcade Final Fight can have ten enemies on the screen at once. What's the realistic limit here, maybe 4 or 5 in two player mode?

There's no way such a high-quality port could have been made back then. It's just like the aMaru's Ghouls & Ghosts improvement hack, there's no way the game could have been that good back then, given the constraints of the time.
    Right, also ROM sizes limited so much of what could be done back then. Final Fight arcade is over 50 mbit, in 1990 a game that size probably would have cost $150 or more.

Thread Information