Quantcast

Thread: Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32x Region Bypass Tool

Default Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32x Region Bypass Tool

This program will try and patch your Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega CD, or 32x ROM so that it will work in any region. Also has a checksum fixing button to try and fix the checksum after patching.

Searches for 4 different types of region checks in the ROM, as well as changing the region letters in the ROM header.

The program does things differently than what you might expect. If it finds a region check in the ROM, the region that is selected in the tool will actually be the region of the console that the ROM will see when it does a region check. In other words, it usually doesn't change the region of the ROM, it changes the region of the console.

There are lots of different ways to do region checks, so this tool won't work on every game, but it seems to have pretty good compatibility so far.

As far as Sega CD goes, it will find and patch Sega CD region checks in the ROM, but have only tested it on Sonic CD so far. I patched Sonic CD (USA) to European (PAL/50hz) and played it on Gens emulator with the country set to USA. The game played slower which shows that it does use region checks in the ROM to determine the region. It looks like there are 73 region checks, which means one for each of the 73 levels in the game. Still need to do a lot more testing with Sega CD region checks, since I don't know a lot about how the Sega CD bios fits into it. I read somewhere that there is a special Sega CD bios that will work in any region, so will have to look into that.

Can get it here with a full description: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1687/

Will have it on my site soon.

Master of Shinobi

you must spread... oh dammit. You should release a Tony H suite, given the multiple tools you have coded up to now.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Great tool, thank you for your work

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony H again."

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Just finished a large update for the region bypass tool (version 1.1).

Added more new types of region checks and improved old ones, improved checksum routine bypassing and shows ROM addresses for them, added option to automatically fix checksum after it patches ROM, added button to put 32x ROMs into a sort of developerís mode so the game will skip the checksum process (makes the game boot faster and it will ignore any changes made to the ROM), and a few other improvements.

Partial list of games that will now work with version 1.1: Street Fighter 2 CE, Super Street Fighter 2, Megaman Wily Wars, Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Thunder Force 4, Lightening Force, Streets of Rage 2, Contra Hard Corps, Golden Axe, TinHead, Smurfs 1, Smurfs 2, TinTin in Tibet, and many more.

Added 3 new types of region checks, and improved one of the previous region checks.

It can now bypass almost 100% of Capcom checksum check routines, as well as lots of other types of checksum checks.

Still won't work on 100% of the games out there, but getting better.

Have to give credit to Chilly Willy for the info I used for the "32X dev mode" button. He had posted something about it years ago, and I decided to add it to this update.

As usual, you can download the new version from my site (The Code Hut), or from RHDN with a full description of the updates: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1687/

Updated to version 1.1a to fix a small bug where 32x and some Sega CD ROMs were incorrectly named when saving a new ROM. Also added some info about Sega CD, and added info about getting Streets of Rage 2 (US) to show the Bare Knuckle title screen and show Japanese language. Links for the updated version are the same as above.

Thread Information