Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 2

Wildside Expert Hairlesswookiee's Avatar

Default Resident Evil 2

This came across my recommended list today on YT so after watching it I decided I would share it here to discuss and get some impressions and/or feedback on what any of you think about this.

Toys: PS5, PS3,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

First you should link to the actual dev's video:

Secondly, he's not actually porting Resident Evil 2. He's making his own classic survival horror engine and just using Resident Evil 2 data for testing purposes.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Gigantic loading times and horrible-looking 3d models?

Not that I've ever played a Saturn, that may be expected of it, I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Gigantic loading times and horrible-looking 3d models?

Not that I've ever played a Saturn, that may be expected of it, I wouldn't know.
    The load time at the start is becuase he's loading in all the uncompressed backgrounds. The PS1 version uses it's MDEC chip to decompress the backgrounds quickly, the Saturn doesn't have that luxury and would need a software solution. For right now the dev is simply loading everything into the 4MB RAM with the intent of dealing with that issue later.

The models come straight from the PS1 disc so I'm not sure what you're expecting there.

I mean both the start and in-between loading times. Even the loading times between two scenes (after entering a door) were unacceptably long in that video.

About the 3d models, yeah, seems you're right. I played RE2 on the N64, and the models on that were a lot nicer, but a PS1 longplay matches that.

The door transitions only seem long because there's no door animation to hide and distract you from it. And again its loading uncompressed images into RAM off the disc at the moment. Each room can have up to 16 unique camera angles. Loading all that uncompressed data takes time.

The models are again pulled from the PS1 disc so again I'm not sure what you're expecting or comparing to. They look the same.

Hero of Algol

I shared his post on twitter the other day.
    For an early demo, it looks great.
    And I think the shading actually makes the characters look better in this version; the game is supposed to have a dark atmosphere after all.

I was comparing to the RE2 I know, which is the N64 version. The models here are a significant downgrade. I would have had the same reaction to the PS1 version, just wasn't aware it too was that ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I was comparing to the RE2 I know, which is the N64 version. The models here are a significant downgrade. I would have had the same reaction to the PS1 version, just wasn't aware it too was that ugly.
    Are the models on the N64 version that different? Sure they probably don't suffer from polygon glitching and sorting issues as much and should look more stable. But are they actually more detailed, in that they are using more polys? I don't think so.

If anything, the models on the PS1 look better since the textures on the N64 version are reduced in size, making them more blurry and less detailed in the end.

Look, i really like the N64 version and it is a "miracle" port since they managed to cram so much data, including the FMVs, on a 64MB cart. But let's not pretend this didn't come with some regressions. Textures and backgrounds on the N64 version are lower resolution. Sure, the 3D models are more stable, like in any other N64 port, but this game uses a lot of texture and 2D pre-rendered art which doesn't exactly play that well with N64's strengths in 3D rendering. They could maybe improve the geometry detail in the models but who has time to do that when they can just use the existing models?

At least the 3D models are rendered in higher resolution if you use the expansion pack and anti-aliased, which makes them look cleaner.
    Last edited by Soulis; 06-16-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    Are the models on the N64 version that different? Sure they probably don't suffer from polygon glitching and sorting issues as much and should look more stable. But are they actually more detailed, in that they are using more polys?
    I'm pretty sure the models are the same. The textures are significantly lower quality though on N64.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the models are the same. The textures are significantly lower quality though on N64.
    Yeah, you beat me to it while i was editing my post with more information.

Hero of Algol

You both beat me to say the same thing.

I think it's important to reinforce this though: those are really great results for a homebrew engine and directly imported assets.
    It's not like he's squeezing every bit of what the Saturn can do or has tailored every asset to favor the platform; no.

The fact that it runs smoothly and has apparently no downgrades is awesome given that it's just a demo he put together to showcase his engine and porting RE2 to the Saturn (unlike the first video suggests) is not his final goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    You both beat me to say the same thing.

I think it's important to reinforce this though: those are really great results for a homebrew engine and directly imported assets.
    It's not like he's squeezing every bit of what the Saturn can do or has tailored every asset to favor the platform; no.

The fact that it runs smoothly and has apparently no downgrades is awesome given that it's just a demo he put together to showcase his engine and porting RE2 to the Saturn (unlike the first video suggests) is not his final goal.
    Well he is using both CPUs and was at one point using the DSP to help with transformations, and he has been tinkering with quite a few different optimizations for a while. Now though he's looking to instead have the DSP handle lighting. The main issue he has is RAM. The game was very much tailored around the PS1 so it used the MDEC to decompress backgrounds, and really worked around having 2MB of unified memory instead of 2 1MB banks. So for now he's using the 4MB RAM cart to try and work around that issue until he can come up with a better solution.

He said typically the zombie models are about ~350 Polygons and the player model is about ~450 polygons. During crowded scenes with 6 zombies and the player he's at about ~1500 polygons per frame which he said drops it to about 20fps.

Hero of Algol

Well he is using both CPUs and was at one point using the DSP to help with transformations, and he has been tinkering with quite a few different optimizations for a while.
    Thanks for the info, I clearly didn't know that. I assume this is not a software renderer, but keep in mind that Vic still found some extra performance improvements in the last release of D32XR.
    Obviously better talk to him for proper details, but one thing was to reorder the mov instructions so that they are aligned on longword boundaries; this helps to make the most out of the SH2s. IDK if this other developer has paid attention to that already.

Now though he's looking to instead have the DSP handle lighting. The main issue he has is RAM. The game was very much tailored around the PS1 so it used the MDEC to decompress backgrounds, and really worked around having 2MB of unified memory instead of 2 1MB banks. So for now he's using the 4MB RAM cart to try and work around that issue until he can come up with a better solution.
    I also wasn't aware of the MDEC usage, ha! That's a clever thing.
    I know this is not desired since most people don't own it, but do you know if it's possible to use those Saturn VCD cards to the same extent?

The unified memory thing I had seen been discussed by former PS1/Sat developers as an advantage for the PS1, yes. That's why sometimes you don't know exactly what you'll get with the Saturn, 'cause even the RAM structure is more complicated.

He said typically the zombie models are about ~350 Polygons and the player model is about ~450 polygons. During crowded scenes with 6 zombies and the player he's at about ~1500 polygons per frame which he said drops it to about 20fps.
    Well, hopefully, he's "just" 2 or 3 ms per frame away from maintaining 30 fps.

Thanks for the info, I clearly didn't know that. I assume this is not a software renderer, but keep in mind that Vic still found some extra performance improvements in the last release of D32XR.
    Obviously better talk to him for proper details, but one thing was to reorder the mov instructions so that they are aligned on longword boundaries; this helps to make the most out of the SH2s. IDK if this other developer has paid attention to that already.
    Not entirely sure, but I do know people have found modern GCC versions actually help a bit and produce smaller binaries that generally perform better on Saturn. Not sure what all Vic was using for 32X stuff.

I also wasn't aware of the MDEC usage, ha! That's a clever thing.
    I know this is not desired since most people don't own it, but do you know if it's possible to use those Saturn VCD cards to the same extent?
    The VCD card can decompress static JPEG images up to 704x480 resolution. But using that would really be cheating. Plus if the Saturn can do software based DCT FMV codecs at 10-15fps, I'd imagine you could probably come up with a software implementation that could decompress them fast enough for going between camera angles. While they may not be fast enough to do 30fps FMV, they'd probably be fast enough to handle decompressing a static background image in under a second. Plus there's other compression schemes you could use. It's just not high on his list of priorities.

Also for kicks and giggles, I encoded all of Leon's FMVs in Cinepak if anyone's curious as to how Saturn would potentially hold up against the other ports of the time in this area:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/amanh.../Leon.zip/file
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 06-16-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Thread Information