Quantcast

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 136

Thread: Resident Evil 2

  1. #121
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    691
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Why did Exhumed on the PS have some environment detail cut to the Saturn version?
    according to him (Treks) it was to increase the frame rate, I disagree because the PS1 version continues to have frame rate issues despite being faster and having an average of 40 frames it deeps so low as 14fps, the Saturn maintains an average of 24fps but the game is complete, large stages. Exhumed uses a sprite engine and this is not the playstation's strong point if the ps1 tries to run the game in the same configuration as the Saturn they would not be able to maintain the same frame rate as the Saturn, as the Traveller's Tales dev says about Sonic R on ps1 and another dev about Radiant SilverGun on ps1. both devs maintain that the ps1 couldn't even maintain 10fps. Why is the PS1 weak? no, just because those kinds of games don't favor Sony console's architecture at all. So I wonder if the Sega Saturn is limited in its 2mb of main ram to 1MB of slow memory and 1MB of fast memory, to the point of being private at 512mb for some cases just like it was speculated for RE2 . how the almighty PS needed to make cuts for this game? I think we're having the same conversation if RE2 had never been released for N64, I'd be saying it's possible and other users would be denying it using technical jargon

    See big cuts PowerSalve/Exhumed

    https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw?t=849
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 08-11-2022 at 01:53 PM.

  2. #122
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    according to him (Treks) it was to increase the frame rate, I disagree because the PS1 version continues to have frame rate issues despite being faster and having an average of 40 frames it deeps so low as 14fps, the Saturn maintains an average of 24fps but the game is complete, large stages.
    If anything that would add more credit to them making those changes to improve performance. Saturn's average maybe 24ps but what's it's low point in those huge rooms? From what I remember the digital foundry episode showed it chugging pretty hard at those points. If PS1 is still dipping to 14fps with those changes, then it makes even more sense they'd change the levels around a bit to try and improve performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Exhumed uses a sprite engine and iso is not the playstation's strong point
    This is a common misconception. The only benefit Saturn has for Sprites is that it can natively draw quads, and that's debateable when we get into the nitty gritty of the PS1. PS1's GPU completely smokes VDP1 in fillrate and as a result it can draw a lot more sprites on screen than VDP1 could ever hope to. Saturn's 2D Strength isn't in VDP1 and sprites, it's in VDP2 and backgrounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    if the ps1 tries to run the game in the same configuration as the Saturn they would not be able to maintain the same frame rate as the Saturn, as the Travllers Tales dev says about Sonic R on ps1 and another dev about Radiant SilverGun on ps1. both devs maintain that the ps1 couldn't even maintain 10fps. Why is the PS1 weak? no, just because those kinds of games don't favor Sony console's architecture at all
    Sonic R and Radiant Silvergun make heavy use of VDP2. So yes PS1 would struggle with that. Powerslave/Exhumed however doesn't use VDP2 that heavily. So it makes more sense that the changes in that game are more to help with rendering performance and game design changes/improvements rather than a hardware difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    So I wonder if the Sega Saturn is limited in its 2mb of main ram to 1MB of slow memory and 1MB of fast memory, to the point of being private at 512mb for some cases just like it was speculated for RE2
    What on earth are you trying to say here?

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    See big cuts PowerSalve/Exhumed

    https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw?t=849
    Looking at the video again it's very obvious that it was done to reduce rendering complexity. The changes are done to mask parts of the levels off to reduce what's visible and thus reduce what needs to be rendered. Notice how the PS1 version of those same areas are running significantly faster and smoother than their Saturn counterparts. It's simply the PS1 version came later so they refined the levels to try and get better performance. You can see these same techniques later make their ways into other lobotomy titles like Quake and Duke Nukem 3D.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 08-11-2022 at 11:43 PM.

  3. #123
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    After reading on it seems he wasn't. Wow.

  4. #124
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Damnů what a schooling Trekkies gave us, thanks a lot man. I know close to nothing about coding, but was already aware of the memory setup of the Saturn compared to PlayStation and quickly understood the issues they are running into with this RE2 port

    But I feel sorry for him having to repeat himself over and over and over to try to put it as simple as posible so that everyone can understandů suuuuuuch patience

  5. #125
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    7,048
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    And you missed the point that we were talking about THIS homebrew project, not Capcom's attempts in the 90s.
    If you just kept to that talk fine, but you did not.

    We have the Famitsu sales data that shows those games sold at least a a couple 100k copies each. X-Men vs street Fighter sold over 200,000 copies,
    I wasn't trying to catch you out and remember CVG saying X-Men had sold over 170,000 copies
    I just wanted cold hard facts on the number of actual 4 MEG Cart sold, because if you listen to some it sold over 300,000 which seemed way off the mark. It would still 'At a guess' being a tiny percentage of Saturn Hardware sales in Japan, much like with the Netlink.


    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    it was to increase the frame rate
    I thought it was because the Build engine on the PS, couldn't handle the number of polygons to the Slave Driver engine on the Saturn.

    as the Traveller's Tales dev says about Sonic R on ps1 and another dev about Radiant SilverGun on ps1. both devs maintain that the ps1 couldn't even maintain 10fps. Why is the PS1 weak?
    I would say some of the TT interview, is just pandering to the Saturn userbase of SSM, just a little. All I ever read on RSG on the Saturn was just Treasure just gave up after 6 or 8 weeks of work because it wasn't coming to their expectations, but I'm sure if Treasure were offered a ton of cash for the port, it would have happened, but the game didn't do that great in the Arcades, not so great on the Saturn and I doubt it would have done any better on the PS given the market for that style of game and so I would guess Treasure just thought it's not worth their time and money to push on.

    When you have a game that's made with a decent team and decent budget and developed from the ground up for a console, it tends to lose out with being porting to systems even ones with the better spec on paper, for a number of reasons and I really feel RSG was made as a big FUCK YOU to developers around the world and to show what the Saturn could do, when asked.



    Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I'm just imagining TA has a full Card Catalog of all the old magazines and quotes and searches through it daily for topics such as this.
    Better than your mag's and sticky socks under the bed :P
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  6. #126
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    If you just kept to that talk fine, but you did not.
    No, I kept reiterating that I was talking about this homebrew project and the memory issue with trying to put RE2 on the Saturn because of how much more advanced the 2nd game is in comparison to the first. YOU are the one who kept trying to bring it back to Capcom and the 90s due to a simple off-hand remark.


    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I wasn't trying to catch you out and remember CVG saying X-Men had sold over 170,000 copies
    I just wanted cold hard facts on the number of actual 4 MEG Cart sold, because if you listen to some it sold over 300,000 which seemed way off the mark. It would still 'At a guess' being a tiny percentage of Saturn Hardware sales in Japan, much like with the Netlink.
    So what? I don't care about the market of the 90s in this discussion. The simple fact of the matter is Resident Evil 2 doesn't fit in Saturn's memory setup due to the lack of hardware based DCT compression and the way the memory is laid out. The easiest and most direct way to address that is to just use the RAM cart.

  7. #127
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    6,062
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Unlike you TA, I don't live in 1995. I'm in 1999 and we got DVD brother.

    Life?!...What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

    Remake Geist Force!


  8. #128
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    7,048
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    No, I kept reiterating that I was talking about this homebrew project and the memory issue with try

    You said this

    why Capcom was reportedly using it back in the 90s when they were looking into porting it
    All I did was simply point out that wasn't correct and it was press talk. So let's leave it.

    So what? I don't care about the market of the 90s in this discussion.
    Well then, stop saying RE2 Saturn port was cancelled due to RAM issues and stop talking of the 1990's Capcom's planned RE2 Saturn port, full stop



    Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Unlike you TA, I don't live in 1995. I'm in 1999 and we got DVD brother.
    RE2 was 1997/8, but never mind, enjoy 1999 and remember 'its thinking'
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 08-14-2022 at 03:59 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  9. #129
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    6,062
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    My profile bro

    Life?!...What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

    Remake Geist Force!


  10. #130
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    You said this
    As an offhand remark when discussing the overall Memory issue of porting Resident Evil 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    All I did was simply point out that wasn't correct and it was press talk. So let's leave it.
    No, you've been derailing this thread by trying to turn the discussion into something else and put words in my mouth like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well then, stop saying RE2 Saturn port was cancelled due to RAM issues
    I NEVER said this. Not once in this entire thread did I make this statement. Which this is the major problem with you. You completely fail at reading and communicating in English at a basic fundamental level. You think people say things when they don't, you then derail discussions as you take these perceived statements personally and have these insane discussions arguing with people about a point they never even made. You're basically arguing with a voice in your head. It ends up just destroying good discussions on this forum, and driving good people away from the community. It's why you're infamous across not just the retro Sega community, but other communities as well as the village idiot. You should have been banned years ago for this behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    stop talking of the 1990's Capcom's planned RE2 Saturn port, full stop
    I've been trying to, you're the one that keeps bringing it back to Capcom.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 08-14-2022 at 01:04 PM.

  11. #131
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    7,048
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    Right, just talk only of the RE 2 on the Saturn 2022.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  12. #132
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Power
    81

    Yuck

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That's code for you can't remember the interview with Capcom
    Fucking Jesus H. Christ. I had gotten a few PMs on this but the one I got today after reading this thread put a nail in it. You just can't stay on topic even when fucking asked to.

    You're going to take a two week time out. Go play some games or some shit instead of being here. The only reason I didn't perma-ban you was of your tenure here so when you get back if you decide to, Shut the fuck up when people ask you to focus on the discussion at hand.
    05/05/15

  13. #133
    Road Rasher Iced Snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Fucking Jesus H. Christ. I had gotten a few PMs on this but the one I got today after reading this thread put a nail in it. You just can't stay on topic even when fucking asked to.

    You're going to take a two week time out. Go play some games or some shit instead of being here. The only reason I didn't perma-ban you was of your tenure here so when you get back if you decide to, Shut the fuck up when people ask you to focus on the discussion at hand.
    Wow, that response was a bit overboard. Its not like TA killed your cat or anything.

  14. #134
    AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,219
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Don't give him ideas.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

  15. #135
    Wildside Expert Hairlesswookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Fucking Jesus H. Christ. I had gotten a few PMs on this but the one I got today after reading this thread put a nail in it. You just can't stay on topic even when fucking asked to.

    You're going to take a two week time out. Go play some games or some shit instead of being here. The only reason I didn't perma-ban you was of your tenure here so when you get back if you decide to, Shut the fuck up when people ask you to focus on the discussion at hand.
    That seems excessive for derailing the thread. I'm not going back through the thread, but did any moderators ask/warn him about this or just another user? Not that I condone everything, but the continued discussion...on topic or not... led to a lot of great technical information that was thoroughly explained to people like me that are not exactly knowledgable of the inner workings.
    Toys: PS5, PS3,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

    Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •