Quantcast

Thread: Finally finished Taz: Escape from Mars decades later

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Default Finally finished Taz: Escape from Mars decades later

As much as I love Sega Genesis/MD, I could count the number of her games I had played on my fingers until around 2006, when high quality emulation became widely available(or at least when it became popular enough that I started doing it). Of those few games I did get to play in Geni's prime, the most memorable that didnt involve blue hedgehogs was Taz: Escape from Mars. After school I would walk to my babysitters house, where me and her daughter would watch cartoons and play Sega. One of the games she had was Taz. I have always remembered it so vividly, possibly because of the giant colorful sprites, possibly because the strange alien enemies terrified me, possibly because it amazed me when I would get decimated by the first boss, only for that ginger girl to take over the controller and effortlessly beat it.

Years later when I was old enough to have a part time job I bought a Genesis, and THE game I knew I had to get first and foremost was Taz. By this time me and my friends had already gotten into playing old hard game, taking down the tough games we never could as kids. So I felt ready, if I could beat Megaman and Castlevania, this looney toons game should be a cakewalk. Well it didnt go down like that. Sure the first boss was easy now, but right after that in the second world the difficulty ramps way up, and what probably threw me off so much was that this was an entirely different kind of difficulty. The slippery controls mean you cant just let platforming skills carry you though tough levels, the game is full of leap of faith jumps where the screen isnt big enough to show you where you are going, and your fun spin attack seems to send you flying into pitfalls more often than actually helping you. On top of all that: 3 lives, 3 continues, 18 tough stages, so you cant just throw yourself at the game until you're good at it. Its kinda like a half baked Battletoads. So basically if you want to be good at this game you have to slowly crawl through each level making sure you resist the constant urge to use your fun spin attack, which is the only thing you can do that doesnt require getting an item. So I gave up, and as the years went by and I finished more and more old games, ironically one that I never did finish was one of the first games I ever played.

Then about two weeks ago, I committed to not playing any other game until I finally finished Taz, and yesterday I finally beat it. Not sure if I got lucky but I beat the last boss in only two lives(ever). Overall a fun game with great visuals and some cool mechanics, but it has some fatal flaws that really hold it back. Maybe now that the curse is lifted Sega will announce a sequel for the all new Sega Jupiter

Awesome, congrats on beating the game And also thanks for sharing your memories of the game here! I have very fond memories of it as well. I remember wanting it after seeing a magazine ad, and probably got it for a birthday or Christmas present. Still have my copy from back in the day. I can't really say I immensely enjoy replaying it, but just seeing the intro cutscene and the box art make me happy My childhood friend made it to the Gossamer boss once, but we never beat the game. Our favorite level was Mexico, even though both Mexico and the Haunted Castle being in this game makes zero sense to me :P

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Great post! I've had a few games elude me for decades and finally taking them down is so, so satisfying. Two that come to mind are black-box Tennis on the NES and Downland on the Tandy CoCo; I don't even want to think about the span of time between when I first played them and when I finally beat them.

I've got a few white whales on the Genesis that I should get around to harpooning.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    ... it amazed me when I would get decimated by the first boss, only for that ginger girl to take over the controller and effortlessly beat it.
    It's bad design. Due to the gates, patterned movements and anemic hit indications, I originally thought it was an endurance test. Years later, one of my (redheaded) friends (who had never played the game before) instantly knew what to do and defeated the boss on his first attempt.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Xhojn's Avatar

Awesome story RvR

This is kind of like me with Quackshot, I borrowed it from a friend at school and then he mysteriously moved to live with his dad. His mum told me at the bus stop and said I could keep the game, never found out what happened to him..... Anyway I could never beat the game back then but when I unboxed my Mega Drive after moving in our current house I decided to finally finish the game. My sister couldn't believe I had finally done it as she couldn't complete it either.

Goldenband, how did you ever manage to beat Downland on the trs-80? I really love that game, one of my favorite games on that system but I've never been able to finish it. Is there an ending once it's finished?
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Goldenband, how did you ever manage to beat Downland on the trs-80? I really love that game, one of my favorite games on that system but I've never been able to finish it. Is there an ending once it's finished?
    Unfortunately, no -- I think there was supposed to be one, but it was cut for space reasons, so it just loops. I came so close as a kid, and finally clearing Chamber 9 as an adult felt awesome.

Thread Information