Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuji Naka removes Naoto Oshima from pic celebrating NiGHTS anniversary

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Default Yuji Naka removes Naoto Oshima from pic celebrating NiGHTS anniversary

https://mobile.twitter.com/nakayuji/...5Es1_&ref_url=

i understand Balan Wonderworld ended up a mess, but this feels lazy/petty even by naka's standards

*edit wasn't aware that since the balan fallout, anytime he & oshima are tagged together (fan art etc) he's been asking fans to untag naoto...i know he's been like this forever but it really is on display these days

LOL.

What is Iizuka wearing??

Master of Shinobi

Just ask him about his Ferraris every time he does this.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Naka is such a cunt lol

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Is there any actual documentation of this feud or is it just more speculation? I'm not saying Naka can't be a dick, but it could also be something else. For all we know it could be that Ohshima doesn't want to be tagged in Naka's tweets or have pictures of himself shared. Or it could be that it was done to the picture years ago when Ohshima left Sonic Team back in 2000 if there was a on bad terms.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Is there any actual documentation of this feud or is it just more speculation? I'm not saying Naka can't be a dick, but it could also be something else. For all we know it could be that Ohshima doesn't want to be tagged in Naka's tweets or have pictures of himself shared. Or it could be that it was done to the picture years ago when Ohshima left Sonic Team back in 2000 if there was a on bad terms.
    Cliffs:

Naka directed Balan Wonderworld while working at Square Enix. Ohshima's company Arzest handled development.
    Naka was upset with the quality of the work Arzest was doing on the game and complained about it to Arzest.
    Naka was suddenly removed from the project six months before release without explanation.
    He sued Square Enix to find out the cause of his removal.
    It turned out that Ohshima had gone behind Naka's back and complained to higher-ups at SE without apparently saying anything to Naka.
    Naka felt betrayed and has been making it known on Twitter for the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Cliffs:

Naka directed Balan Wonderworld while working at Square Enix. Ohshima's company Arzest handled development.
    Naka was upset with the quality of the work Arzest was doing on the game and complained about it to Arzest.
    Naka was suddenly removed from the project six months before release without explanation.
    He sued Square Enix to find out the cause of his removal.
    It turned out that Ohshima had gone behind Naka's back and complained to higher-ups at SE without apparently saying anything to Naka.
    Naka felt betrayed and has been making it known on Twitter for the past few months.
    Ah, I knew about some of that but assumed it was all Square Enix. Well while it's not the most professional behavior I honestly can't blame the guy.

Master of Shinobi

More of Naka's comments here: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...in-this-state/

Even with another six months development time I don't see how Balan was ever going to be a good game. There's way too much emphasis on the gimmicky costumes and not enough on having good gameplay or level design. It plays like something from the year 2000 (at best). They needed to go back to the design document not just fix bugs at the end.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    More of Naka's comments here: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...in-this-state/

Even with another six months development time I don't see how Balan was ever going to be a good game. There's way too much emphasis on the gimmicky costumes and not enough on having good gameplay or level design. It plays like something from the year 2000 (at best). They needed to go back to the design document not just fix bugs at the end.

Naka said that the "1 ring invincibility" gimmick in Sonic 1 was added two weeks before going gold.
    Imagine how many things can be changed in 6 months...

Balan isn't bad, I enjoyed the game and I especially appreciated the fact that it plays like a 2000 game (probably that is what Naka was trying to achieve).

Unfortunately it's a sad situazion, you can't blame Naka if he feels betrayed by his old pal.
    If what Naka said it's true, Ohshima shouldn't have acted behind his back and should've accepted the criticism toward Arzest work and improve.

Also today Oshima announced that is now the president of Arzest...
    Draw you own conclusion.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Naka said that the "1 ring invincibility" gimmick in Sonic 1 was added two weeks before going gold.
    Imagine how many things can be changed in 6 months...

Balan isn't bad, I enjoyed the game and I especially appreciated the fact that it plays like a 2000 game (probably that is what Naka was trying to achieve).

Unfortunately it's a sad situazion, you can't blame Naka if he feels betrayed by his old pal.
    If what Naka said it's true, Ohshima shouldn't have acted behind his back and should've accepted the criticism toward Arzest work and improve.

Also today Oshima announced that is now the president of Arzest...
    Draw you own conclusion.
    Yes I was surprised to see that part about Sonic being changed at the last minute. What would you change in Balan though? Or do you think it's fine as it is? For me there's just so much wrong it would need a major overhaul. For example why is there only one action button? That aspect alone makes it feel like a mobile port. The game itself plays like a poor man's Mario Odyssey, like that Elastiplant in Ch.1 looks just like Uproot from the Wooded Kingdom, except it's far less useful. I think they should have cut most of those costumes, focus on making a few that have unique movesets, then design the levels around those mechanics.

I agree though if Naka's story is true then he got stabbed in the back by a friend of 30 years, that is the ultimate betrayal. Of course there are two sides to every story and I've heard Naka is not an easy person to work with, so who knows. I'm inclined to believe him here though because Naka at least acknowledges how poorly Balan turned out, while Ohshima and Fujimoto seem to think everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Yes I was surprised to see that part about Sonic being changed at the last minute. What would you change in Balan though? Or do you think it's fine as it is? For me there's just so much wrong it would need a major overhaul. For example why is there only one action button? That aspect alone makes it feel like a mobile port. The game itself plays like a poor man's Mario Odyssey, like that Elastiplant in Ch.1 looks just like Uproot from the Wooded Kingdom, except it's far less useful. I think they should have cut most of those costumes, focus on making a few that have unique movesets, then design the levels around those mechanics.

I agree though if Naka's story is true then he got stabbed in the back by a friend of 30 years, that is the ultimate betrayal. Of course there are two sides to every story and I've heard Naka is not an easy person to work with, so who knows. I'm inclined to believe him here though because Naka at least acknowledges how poorly Balan turned out, while Ohshima and Fujimoto seem to think everything is fine.

I don't think it needs a major overhaul, the game has already a very good graphics, good character style, beautiful music and the gameplay works and it's nice expecially while exploring the various stages. It's more about many little changes needed in various parts.

For example they should've focused on less costumes (maybe 60 instead of 80) and expand further their mechanics used in the levels (they already did this, especially when you replay stages with new unlocked costume or in 2P mode where players can really experiment to combine costume abilities in interesting ways).
    I don't have issue with the one button action, nor with the costumes with no jump ability (levels has ramps to accomodate this), but maybe adding a simple button to remove the current equipped costume and return to the basic character with jump ability, could've already made a lot of difference for example.

I'm reading the various tweets, and it seems Naka still haven't seen the final version of Balan that was released.

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1545117864834650112

About Naka, I think he is the kind of person that is costantly misunderstood due to his nature and the way he talks.
    When you think about his famous quarrels with Peter Moore or Yu Suzuki, I don't think Naka had ill intentions, or at least the various interviews gives me that impressions.
    Even about the famous thing about Sonic Xtreme, yesterday Naka explained that he didn't shared the nights engine simply because his engine was in Assembly while Xtreme team were working with C language.
    It's really different from other interviews that depicts a person who was ready to sabotage an entire project only for his ego.

Maybe the fact that he was a difficult person to work with, helped to create the aura of a despicable mean person.
    Erasing an old photo is also easily seen as a petty act, but when you think that you were betrayed by an old friend you know for 30 years...

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1545784834160615424

Naka talked about Geist Force too:

"I have never heard of or seen a game called Geist Force. They are also terrible liars. I had no right to cancel the project in the first place. Some people say really terrible things."

I never heard his name and that game mentioned in the same sentence until now. My understanding was Stolar canned it. May he RIP but I will never be over that game's cancelation. I remain bitter about it.

Remake Geist Force!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I never heard his name and that game mentioned in the same sentence until now. My understanding was Stolar canned it. May he RIP but I will never be over that game's cancelation. I remain bitter about it.
    Geist Force cancelled itself. It was stuck in development hell (aka Sonic X-treme all over again). It had been in development for years at that point and had been delayed several times. The team was inexperienced. The main programmer was quoted in 2000 as saying political infighting and lack of focus in the team caused it to fail.

Last year, the game's producer (i.e. the guy most responsible for the project) said in an interview that one of his staff overheard Yuji Naka say that they were going to fire all of the programmers and use the Geist Force tech in the next Sonic game. This caused all of the programmers to quit.

It's just more classic 'pass the buck' stuff from the person in charge. Blame your failure on a rumor about someone who can't defend himself. The truth is that after years of development (I think it even started as a Saturn title), the game was nowhere near finished.

Such a shame. It looked so amazing to me in 1998. The visuals, UI, and physics were one of the key games shown off that made me fall in love with DC, and more than ever up to that point and since have I bought into the idea of the future of gaming. It seemed as sleek and futuristic looking to me as the console itself.

Remake Geist Force!

Thread Information