Quantcast

Thread: The Exclusion of Popful Mail on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 is offensive

Death Adder's minion

Default The Exclusion of Popful Mail on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 is offensive

Hello,

I am writing this post in an attempt to get the Working Designs translations, of the four Sega CD titles they published, onto the U.S. version of the Sega Genesis Mini 2. If you have been keeping up with the news on this console, Popful Mail, published by Nihon Falcom in Japan was announced at launch for the Japanese console. Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue, published by Game Arts in Japan, have recently also been added to the lineup for the Japanese console.

Now, while I understand the omissions of games like 'Majandojo' and 'Harimanada' from the US release - it would appear that Working Designs, or whoever owns the IP of Working Designs (in this case, I assume it is still Victor Ireland, unless I am mistaken) is actively preventing the re-publication of these exceedingly rare experiences in the U.S. It is at this point to Working Designs' discredit that these games have not been put together into one complete package - and I used to believe that was maybe due to bad blood between Game Arts and Nihon Falcom, but now that does not appear to be the case.

The U.S. console was just announced, and more games have been revealed for the Japanese console than the U.S., but already no inclusion of Popful Mail is a huge red flag that Working Designs does not want to be a part of this project, and does not wish to see these games released in the future.

Also - while Victor used to be an active forum poster on the forum for his new game company - Gaijenworks - he has not been active in quite some time. Please tell me we are going to get remakes of the Working Designs Sega CD (OR SATURN?!?) games someday... If I am mistaken, please let me know how.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Ireland announced way back in 2011 or so that Game Arts bought back the rights to both Lunar games. They'll probably be included in the next batch of announced games for the Genesis Mini 2.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Lighten up, Francis.

If you need to play these games to live just buy a few cdrs and you're good to go.

But judging by your worship of Working Designs you already have them and this is not about the games.

The only discredit Working Designs has ever faced has been genuinely earned by the maniacal Vic Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Desfeek View Post
    Hello,

I am writing this post in an attempt to get the Working Designs translations, of the four Sega CD titles they published, onto the U.S. version of the Sega Genesis Mini 2. If you have been keeping up with the news on this console, Popful Mail, published by Nihon Falcom in Japan was announced at launch for the Japanese console. Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue, published by Game Arts in Japan, have recently also been added to the lineup for the Japanese console.

Now, while I understand the omissions of games like 'Majandojo' and 'Harimanada' from the US release - it would appear that Working Designs, or whoever owns the IP of Working Designs (in this case, I assume it is still Victor Ireland, unless I am mistaken) is actively preventing the re-publication of these exceedingly rare experiences in the U.S. It is at this point to Working Designs' discredit that these games have not been put together into one complete package - and I used to believe that was maybe due to bad blood between Game Arts and Nihon Falcom, but now that does not appear to be the case.

The U.S. console was just announced, and more games have been revealed for the Japanese console than the U.S., but already no inclusion of Popful Mail is a huge red flag that Working Designs does not want to be a part of this project, and does not wish to see these games released in the future.

Also - while Victor used to be an active forum poster on the forum for his new game company - Gaijenworks - he has not been active in quite some time. Please tell me we are going to get remakes of the Working Designs Sega CD (OR SATURN?!?) games someday... If I am mistaken, please let me know how.
    Keep up the good work. Hopefully, if Vic still has a heart and he'll allow The WD translations of Lunar to come to the USA, he knows what a big deal the 1st game for the Mega CD and well also WD itself in the USA. It really put them on the map with amazing coverage in the likes of GameFan . SEGA could just translate the text themself's and just leave the Japanese voices in and just subtitle the cut scenes, but then it could have issues over the Japanese Voice actors for the USA.

Hopfully Vic will come good, unless there issues with the USA voice overs, given money talks.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Offensive...is one way to put it I guess. Perpetually offended world we live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

You're complaining about the game list when we don't even have the full game list yet.

Maybe ſlightly off topic here but what’s even more offenſive was including SNATCHER on že US TurboGrafx-16 mini... Untranſlated. Že only US re-releaſe of ANY verſion of Snatcher is in JAPANESE! Not including Engliſh Snatcher on že US Gen Mini 2 is truly a crime.

Žen again none of žeſe Mini conſoles ever ſeem to deliver what že hardcore fans really want… Luckily, hacking & being able to add new games is an inevitability at žis point.

Sadly, I found že TurboGrafx-16 mini to be ražer bad in terms of input lag. Right now it’s a ſhelf ornament. I heard hackers are working on it žo, ſo maybe žey can make ſome improvements…?
    Last edited by Moirai; 07-23-2022 at 02:26 AM.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

popful mails gameplay changes bother me more than any harmless clinton/BDSM jokes ever would

i love vic & WD but what happened to silhouette mirage - much less exile 2 - is just a shame

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Can Baloo or Bonuskun please ban Moirai already? We're all sick of his AIDS-riddled keyboard posting gibberish all over the boards. Thanks.

Wildside Expert Hairlesswookiee's Avatar

I'm not as upset about this as the OP, but I will say that I'm frustrated (confused?) that this game isn't included in this release. At this point I'd be interested in a WD Collection release like the Konami releases that came out in the last few years.
    Toys: PS5, PS3,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Can Baloo or Bonuskun please ban Moirai already? We're all sick of his AIDS-riddled keyboard posting gibberish all over the boards. Thanks.
    You could always just block him... but it is pretty strange. I have been on a lot of forums over the years and this is the first time I've seen someone use thorn characters as a form of trolling. Wonder if he wrote a script to convert his messages or if he just types this way all the time.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    You could always just block him... but it is pretty strange. I have been on a lot of forums over the years and this is the first time I've seen someone use thorn characters as a form of trolling. Wonder if he wrote a script to convert his messages or if he just types this way all the time.
    Ha! While it's annoying to read, I'm mostly just busting his balls. Mostly. He's been on the boards for years, and just started this nonsense. It's an early English, pre-Shakespeare, post-Battle of Hastings/Norman Invasion. The type that was used around the time of the Guttenberg press, like you'd read in Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales' with the thorn characters. As for why he's doing so? I don't know, attention I guess. And he's certainly gotten plenty of that.

Moirai, it was cute, you've made your point. You've annoyed the whole lot of us, and hurt our eyes. A sentence or two is one thing, but your paragraphs with this old English are ridiculous. Knock it off now, eh? Please and thanks.

Thread Information