Quantcast

Thread: Is Panzer Dragoon overrated?

Default Is Panzer Dragoon overrated?

I went back and played through Panzer Dragoon the Remake, which I know is pretty on par with the original as far as controls and gameplay goes. I have a copy of the Windows 95 version that I play on Linux as well. But the Remake seems to really shows the flaws in the original game. The backgrounds are sparse, it's hard to tell what is an enemy and what isn't, and the game is extremely easy. I get it's a Saturn launch title, but it feels like a more uniquely-themed and less fun Space Harrier as far as rail shooters go. I got Sharpshooter on my first full playthrough of the game. Didn't die until the 6th level, and the Final Boss felt really underwhelming. The soundtrack and character designs are awesome, but the plot is nonexistant and really only makes sense in the context of playing through Panzer Dragoon Saga.

So I'll ask the question: Is Panzer Dragoon Saga being so good the only reason we really give Panzer Dragoon a second-look 25 years later?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

No. It's just a good game. Still plays well. Music is still one of the best OSTs. I enjoyed the remake a lot, more so on PS5. The only downside to the remake is you can't shoot quite as fast. PD is just a feel-good game. Doesn't have to be the most challenging. In its own way Pilotwings 64 is easy but a relaxing game to just chill. PD is a chill and atmospheric rail shooter. I think the environments show a wasteland of ruins of society and are the point. Panzer Dragoon is just meant to intake the sweeping beauty of it and go along for the ride.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I really love the music and world design. I'm not really a fan of rail shooters in general though. I'm also too young to remember when this game was new, and can only really look at it with a more modern view. I've played both the first and second game, as well as the RPG.

So I'll ask the question: Is Panzer Dragoon Saga being so good the only reason we really give Panzer Dragoon a second-look 25 years later?
    I think Panzer Dragoon is a decent game. I haven't really payed attention to reviews. It didn't really blow my mind as far as gameplay. I haven't the original in a few years, and might have to re-play it to really judge.

What I did like is the in-game world though, and Panzer Dragoon Saga really expanded that, and made it explorable. In that sense, I would agree that I have a higher opinion of the original games after playing the RPG.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I don't find že original game to be eaſy at all... Eſpecially že USA releaſe—which is even harder, if I remember correctly. Wizard Mode ſhould've been on by default. Is it overrated? Nah. If anyžing it's underrated. It's not a perfect game, but it's really unique from a ſtory & overall ęsžetic perſpective. I would like to ſee že original Saturn game officially released again. Že ſeries often has an iſolated & ſparſe feel, party owing to že Saturn's limitations. I like že extravagance yet minimaliſm of že whole 32-bit ſeries

Wildside Expert Hairlesswookiee's Avatar

I don't think it's overrated per se, but I think for a game released in the mid 90s it's great. It plays well and IMO has good visuals. Gameplay is fun and easy to pick up and just jump into.
    Toys: PS5, PS3,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

It's not really over rated but Zwei is way better in every way imo. After playing Zwei i never went back to the first game.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Is Panzer Dragoon on Saturn overrated? I would say no. No it is not. I'd especially not compare it to PD Saga. For those of us not into lengthy RPGs, I will not play PDS again, but I'll replay the original and Zwei over and over.

Great story, mood and music, and the 360 degree shooting action. It has enough challenge. It was an amazing experience in those early-3D days, but even today it is a lot of fun IMO.

The remake however is too faithful in gameplay. I'd rather play the original any day. I can't put my finger on the reason why the remake just doesn't light my fire. Hey, whatever happened to the Zwei remake they promised?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Is Panzer Dragoon on Saturn overrated? I would say no. No it is not. I'd especially not compare it to PD Saga. For those of us not into lengthy RPGs, I will not play PDS again, but I'll replay the original and Zwei over and over.

Great story, mood and music, and the 360 degree shooting action. It has enough challenge. It was an amazing experience in those early-3D days, but even today it is a lot of fun IMO.

The remake however is too faithful in gameplay. I'd rather play the original any day. I can't put my finger on the reason why the remake just doesn't light my fire. Hey, whatever happened to the Zwei remake they promised?
    A small team who just remade HOTD and working on Front Mission Remakes. Probably just took on too much at once.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

I always žouȝt žat že Panzer Dragoon ſeries really needed an arcade verſion. Imagine an entry tailor-fit to že Model 2 hardware!

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

No, Panzer Dragoon was awesome when it came out and it's still pretty awesome. The remake leaves a lot to be desired, since they broke the rapid fire mechanic of the game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

It was a good game for a 1995 32-bit game.

But really, it is Zwei that is the winner here. Love that game.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Zwei is the best of the bunch, but really it's PDS that's really overrated. I wish I had bought it at $50 so I could have sold it at $600 or whatever dumb bucks it's going for today. People lose their mind over a shooting RPG, but it was such an underwhelming experience to me.

I dont think any game is worth over $70 frankly with inflation prices, certainly not $1000. But I enjoyed PDS way more than PD and Zwei.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox is just as good as any of the 3 Saturn titles. I love how the devs took some role-playing elements from PDS and incorporated them into the shooter gameplay. And the graphics are awesome, stunningly beautiful back in the day.

PD was also stunning when it was new. Which is funny to think about, as it is visually much weaker than any of the others - great designs, but rather low-poly and a low frame rate. But I don't remember thinking about this, or noticing it, until Zwei was released and it was a lot more visually solid and impressive. Man, the Saturn was a cool architecture in many ways and when properly programmed, very impressive results. But all the magazines tended to comment about was how "Saturn can't do light sourcing like PlayStation can", blah blah blah.

I think it was Game Players magazine who were really blown away with Zwei, and I can remember reading their review excitedly as the writer gave reasons why it was impressive a and the improvements of the engine compared to PD. Too bad Game Players had the blurriest and worst screen shots of all the 90s mags!

Thread Information