Quantcast

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Opinion on the Satiator?

  1. #1
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Opinion on the Satiator?

    Hey guys, I just heard about this thing and it sounds pretty awesome, but I read a review saying its not perfect and perhaps not worth the price tag. What have been your experiences? Is it user friendly? Any issues? Any missing features?

  2. #2
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    105

    Default

    Ive only heard that it cant do in-game disc switching, and that a few games, including Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter do not work. The menu is plain, but there is a mod called Satiator Rings menu apparently that looks a little bit nicer. Also the KOF 95 you'll have issues with if you dont have an Action Replay 4-in-1 that can simulate the ROM cart.

    Otherwise nothing super serious it sounds like.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  3. #3
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    The disc switching isn't really an issue either as every Saturn game saves before asking you to switch the disc. There was a list floating around of games that were apparently broken and didn't save, but people have dug into and found that the games listed in that list do in fact save before you swap the disc.

    The other issues are minor and being worked on. There are other ODEs like MODE that try to claim they have 100% compatibility, but that honestly hasn't been thoroughly tested and I can definitely vouch for the fact that issues specific to that ODE have popped up in testing quite a few different translation patches. Really when it comes to Saturn ODES I'd say get the Satiator if you want a simple plug and play solution, get the Fenrir if you want a cheaper solution.

  4. #4
    End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    10,181
    Rep Power
    141

    Default

    Here’s a site that has a game compatible list.

    https://github.com/satiator/compatibility/issues
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  5. #5
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,125
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    The disc switching isn't really an issue either as every Saturn game saves before asking you to switch the disc.*
    That's not true. I got screwed over bitd when it came time to swap discs mid-dungeon in Tengai Makyo The Apocalypse IV. The game froze because the ST-Key wasn't enough. I guess the Saturn does another region check during a disc swap.

    The nearest save points are a hike to and from towns and the dungeon.

    I went back to the local import store I bought the game from, explained the problem and asked if I could copy my game save to their demo region modified Saturn, play through the disc swap to the next save point (which I had no idea how far away it was) and then copy the save file back onto my cart.

    Thankfully they were happy to help and I kept that save file until I got my Saturn region modded... which later fucked me over when trying to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

    I uploaded that save file to Sega's Netlink sharing site so that anyone else interested in playing the game wouldn't have any issues.


    This is why I waited until I could afford a MODE with SSD and an sdcard disc tray. I never have to do anything again, every game is already inside but it's easy to add hacks and homebrew.

    It defeats the whole point of paying very much for a device like this if there are compatibility and convenience issues. I wouldn't recommend anything else unless it's <$50.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  6. #6
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That's not true. I got screwed over bitd when it came time to swap discs mid-dungeon in Tengai Makyo The Apocalypse IV. The game froze because the ST-Key wasn't enough. I guess the Saturn does another region check during a disc swap.
    Then that game is violating Sega's standards for publishing. It was listed in Sega's standards guide that a game spanning multiple discs must save to allow the user to continue to the next disc or it wouldn't pass QA for publishing. Looking at a playthrough it looks like that game is the one game that doesn't kick back to the CD Player when you open the disc tray, though I'm curious if the game still attempts to save behind the scenes and your ST Key maybe screwed something else up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    This is why I waited until I could afford a MODE with SSD and an sdcard disc tray. I never have to do anything again, every game is already inside but it's easy to add hacks and homebrew.

    It defeats the whole point of paying very much for a device like this if there are compatibility and convenience issues. I wouldn't recommend anything else unless it's <$50.
    I wouldn't really use an SSD with MODE in the Saturn. The Power Supply isn't really designed to power something like that. If you don't want Satiator then I'd go with Fenrir over MODE. It's cheaper and can be installed along side the CD player allowing you to still use discs if you want. In my experience I've encountered a lot of evidence of sloppy code in how MODE handles things on the Saturn, and it makes me question the overall quality of the product and wonder what other things they've cut corners on.

  7. #7
    Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    2,294
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    literally the only thing i've thrown at this satiator so far that it had issues with was in the hunt (i wanna say this one's known for trouble
    .almost certainly the disc image i have that's at fault here, is my guess)

    it's plug & play, lets me use my discs too & gets updated. exactly what i wanted, wish my PSIO & GDEMU were this easy

    need to install rings though - is it true they made a segata sanshiro skin, anyone have a link for that?


  8. #8
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Thanks for the input guys. I would probably go Fenrir or MODE if Saturn was just a curiosity and I just had some random Saturn from Ebay, but because I actually own the old Saturn me and my bros played as kids at my Grandmas house I think I have to respect its integrity and not remove the disk drive, which still works fairly well. So paying big bucks for Satiator it is.

  9. #9
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I would probably go Fenrir or MODE if Saturn was just a curiosity and I just had some random Saturn from Ebay, but because I actually own the old Saturn me and my bros played as kids at my Grandmas house I think I have to respect its integrity and not remove the disk drive, which still works fairly well. So paying big bucks for Satiator it is.
    For what it's worth, Fenrir can be installed alongside the Disc Drive now. Currently it's only for 20-pin models, but I believe a 21-pin version is in the works.

  10. #10
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,540
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    literally the only thing i've thrown at this satiator so far that it had issues with was in the hunt (i wanna say this one's known for trouble
    .almost certainly the disc image i have that's at fault here, is my guess)
    If you are playing the Japanese version, that one doesn't work on some consoles even as an original disc. I don't remember if the specifics were ever found out, particularly because the "fixed" revision of the game has yet to be dumped.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •