Quantcast

Thread: The Best Arcade Games You Can't Play At Home

Default The Best Arcade Games You Can't Play At Home

I happened to stop in a modern arcade today for the first time in a while since COVID hit, and got to take a spin on a few games like the original Sega Rally Championship, Star Wars Trilogy and Luigi's Mansion Arcade (and a bunch of UFO Catchers and Redemption games), all of which are fantastic experiences you cannot get at home. But it made me want to make a thread. What do you deem the best arcade games you can't play at home, and why? Here are a list of some of my favorites:

Time Crisis II - Nothing beats those blocky textures and the GunCon with the kickback. In my opinion the best light gun game ever made.

Star Wars Trilogy - SEGA never ported this amazing lightgun rail shooter game from the late-90s over to consoles, and I still regret it. Its still a moneymaker 20 years later though and frequently seen in arcades.

Daytona USA - Yeah, the home port is good, but 12 person lineups in the arcade? That's where it's at.

Tron - The unique joystick and multiple stages always made this one a blast to play.

After Burner II - Nothing beats this shaking cab experience!

Star Wars (1980) - The original Atari Vectrex graphics game is an unbelievable sitdown experience. It did get a port in Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike for Gamecube.

Outrunners - A wonderful arcade game with a great soundtrack, it is a shame it was only ever ported to the Genesis in a lackluster fashion.

Derby Owner's Club - Rarely seen today, this horse racing game was a huge hit in the mid-2000s for SEGA. The fact that it has never gotten a home port is absolutely criminal.
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-27-2022 at 03:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I really don't know what Star Wars Trilogy game you played, but the SEGA one wasn't a Lightgun game and Daytona USA was only ever 8 players in the Arcade's

But that's nitpicking Some of mine would be ...

Jurassic Park: The Lost World Still the best lightgun game I ever played and was gutted SEGA never brought it home to DC.

Revenge Of Death Adder The best game in the Golden Axe series for me and amazing fun in multi player. Why SEGA never brought it the Saturn with Multi Tap support is beyond me.

Nebulas Ray - Awesome shooter with stunning graphics.

Xexex Another awesome shooter and the game 1st level background was memorising, gutted Konami never looked to bring it to the Saturn.

Virtual Cop 3 Another ace lightgun game from SEGA and the 3rd stage was bloody awesome, gutted SEGA never looked to port it to the XBox

Lets Go Jungle I'm still amazed at how well the graphics in this game hold up, awesome fun and just can't work out when SEGA never looked to bring this to Playstation VR
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

There were releases of the TRON arcade games available for the box 360 via digital download. Yeah, itís not quite the same as having that cool trigger stick, along-side that rotary controller, but the twin analogs get the job done.

I've only played this uber-expensive arcade game once and it cost me about $5 to play. It's the on-rails multiplayer light gun shooter Galaxian 3.

Last edited by gamevet; 07-27-2022 at 10:12 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Despite not playing it.

Just going to say Planet Harriers
    Scud Race
    Magical Truck Adventure

Any Naomi game without a console port.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    There were releases of the TRON arcade games available for the box 360 via digital download. Yeah, itís not quite the same as having that cool trigger stick, along-side that rotary controller, but the twin analogs get the job done.

I've only played this uber-expensive arcade game once and it cost me about $5 to play. It's the on-rails multiplayer light gun shooter Galaxian 3.
    I played the 20-odd player version at Paramount's Great America in 94, when it was said to be the biggest Arcade ride in the world. An amazing experience, can't remember how much it cost mind.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Daytona USA 2 (Model 3)

Scud Race (Model 3)

Sega Rally 2 (Model 3, home ports suck)

Star Wars Racer Arcade (Hikaru)

Thread Information