Quantcast

Thread: Ghosts n' Goblins/Makaimura Series Thread

Default Ghosts n' Goblins/Makaimura Series Thread

I just put Goku Makai Mura Kai/Ultimate Ghost's n' Goblins Kai (Japanese only release) onto my PSP along with Capcom Classics Reloaded which contains the first three games in the series. Anyone else a big fan of these hard but satisfying platformers? I played through the entirety of Ghouls n' Ghosts for Genesis on both difficulties and have always had a fondness for the series even though I havent gotten around to beating any of the others.

So far I am enjoying Goku Makai Mura Kai, as the Ultimate US version with all of the fetch quests and RPG elements didnt sound as fun. Just wish it was translated into English!

Has anyone played the new release, Resurrection? Is it worthwhile?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Have not touched the new one, own nothing it is on, but here's what I have of the series:

Ghosts N Goblins NES
    Ghouls N Ghosts Genesis
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts SNES
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts GBA
    Capcom Generation 2 PS1
    Capcom Generation 2 Saturn
    Capcom Classics Collection Vol 1 PS1
    Both PSP Capcom compilations, forgot which one all 3 games are on
    Ultimate Ghosts N Golins PSP
    Goku Makaimura Kai PSP

Never got a chance to play the first two in arcades till for Ghouls, at a laundromat a few years after it's release, and for Ghosts till years later while on vacation in Texas, Pinballz in Austin had a Ghosts N Goblins cabinet inside, got to stage 5 on a credit. I had practiced Ghosts enough on PS2, PS1, and Saturn to get to stage 5 on loop 1 within the allotted lives. I enjoy the trilogy, just the right amount of challenge, perhaps a bit unfair due to constant enemy respawn, but that's trafition for the series, just like having to do the entire game all over again in loop 2. All have that certain condition to reach the final boss, whether it's the shield/crucifix in the first game, the Psycho Cannon in the second game, or the Goddess Bracelet in the third game, and lord forbid you lose the damned thing by accidentally picking up another weapon (those enemies love carrying pots that drop point statues, AND weapons, but have never seen them drop the elusive 1 Ups in Ghouls or Super Ghouls), thereby ensuring you having to do the entire final stage ALL over again. But alas, I still love the entire series, including the Wonderswan game.

Not played the new one and didn't think much of the 1st game or the Snes game, the PSP game was nice enough. The best for me as always been the MD version of Ghouls N Ghosts. I find that even better than the Aracde, its controls are perfect, the game is so smooth and just so nice to plat and control and the music is fantastic, even better than the Arcade game.

Ghouls N Ghosts on the MD is after Revnege of Shinobi my fav MD game and a game I looked to play every year
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I just put Goku Makai Mura Kai/Ultimate Ghost's n' Goblins Kai (Japanese only release) onto my PSP along with Capcom Classics Reloaded which contains the first three games in the series. Anyone else a big fan of these hard but satisfying platformers? I played through the entirety of Ghouls n' Ghosts for Genesis on both difficulties and have always had a fondness for the series even though I havent gotten around to beating any of the others.

So far I am enjoying Goku Makai Mura Kai, as the Ultimate US version with all of the fetch quests and RPG elements didnt sound as fun. Just wish it was translated into English!

Has anyone played the new release, Resurrection? Is it worthwhile?
    I thought Resurrection was pretty good. Gorgeous art style, solid level design, a few frustrating sections but it wouldn't be a GnG game without those

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Not played the new one and didn't think much of the 1st game or the Snes game, the PSP game was nice enough. The best for me as always been the MD version of Ghouls N Ghosts. I find that even better than the Aracde, its controls are perfect, the game is so smooth and just so nice to plat and control and the music is fantastic, even better than the Arcade game.

Ghouls N Ghosts on the MD is after Revnege of Shinobi my fav MD game and a game I looked to play every year
    I agree... the arcade version was visually stunning for the time but the game plays better on the MD.

Apparently the Wonderswan version was created into a full-blown remake about 7 years ago called "Ghosts n' Demons." Looks quite impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Apparently the Wonderswan version was created into a full-blown remake about 7 years ago called "Ghosts n' Demons." Looks quite impressive!
    Thank you, had no idea that existed. Makes it look like a brand new game.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Played SNES and NES versions. Oh and Demon's Crest which is kinda neat. Then those PS2 games Maximo. Could never fully get into them but I wanted to, PS2 games were pretty alright tho. Not tried the new one. I just find it funny for how ugly it is, kinda surprising it's running on the RE Engine same as DMC5 and recent RE games plus Monster Hunter Rise and yet it looks like that.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Played SNES and NES versions. Oh and Demon's Crest which is kinda neat. Then those PS2 games Maximo. Could never fully get into them but I wanted to, PS2 games were pretty alright tho. Not tried the new one. I just find it funny for how ugly it is, kinda surprising it's running on the RE Engine same as DMC5 and recent RE games plus Monster Hunter Rise and yet it looks like that.
    Really? I had the opposite reaction, I like the art style. Makes me think of a storybook come to life, or a puppet show. I can see where people are going to love it or hate it though.

Arcade Ghouls is the one I enjoy the most, great pace and level design. The original Ghosts is solid but a bit too stiff and strict compared to the sequel. Super was fine but felt less action focused and more padded than Ghouls, more of a static precision platformer than a dynamic action game like Ghouls. Haven't played the PSP games nor Resurrection that much, though the later felt like the hardest game in the series from what I played and somewhat close to Ghouls in terms of gameplay, not a fan of the length though.
    Last edited by Vludi; 09-06-2022 at 06:06 AM.

Outrunner

I may have already posted this, but I was extremely happy how well this turned out.

Attachment 16444

Thread Information