Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Year's Secret Santa

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Default This Year's Secret Santa

Hey guys,

I know it is not even September yet, but this has been on my mind lately. One of the reasons I am bringing this up now is because this is the first time I have logged in for like... six months? I also want there to be enough time for a good amount of people to see this and provide their input. I am going to make it a point to log in regularly in case any discussions are going on about this.

Last year, there was an issue where it was really difficult to not only find gifts for people while staying within the expected spend, but also to create a list that would be appropriate for the criteria. I brought it up then, and it will probably be even more of an issue this year, but I wanted to open it up again: do you feel we should increase the amount everyone is expected to spend?

Last year, a few people seemed to think that was a good idea, but I think around half (maybe fewer) of the participants responded. It has been $30 ever since I started, and we are probably due for an increase, but I also want to make sure that everyone can participate in this who wants to.

Feel free to discuss in this thread or to shoot me private messages if you do not feel like talking about it in a public space. This can also be used as a general Secret Santa discussion if you have never participated and/or are interested in participating.

I'm in for another round. You pretty much have to increase the budget because the same amount doesn't get you the same thing anymore. You can easily blow the old budget on a single item that used to be considered a bargain bin. There are no $5, or $10 items anymore regarding video games. There's not even that much that $15 can buy. So yeah, I'm in favor of an increase.

I think I've spent over that "limit" every year.

A number of us go above the price threshold for numerous reasons. Why be cheap? At least that's how I feel.

I realize many people do go above the expected amount, but I just wanted to get everyone's input in regards to a potential increase. Plus, I do not know what everyone's situations are like - especially considering everything costs more these days. Also, if there is an increase, I wanted it to be very obvious so no one will overlook it. What amount seems reasonable to everyone assuming we do go through with an increase?

Hey Bubsy, can you look through your PMs and let me know who did you assign to be my Santa in 2018? That's the only year that for some reason I didn't post anything showing what I got. So I have no recollection of that year.

I'm wondering if a missing game that I've been looking for was a gift I got that year. I wanna get to the bottom of this mystery of remembering that I had something, that I don't seem to have now.

It looks like Blades ran the event that year, but I did verify you were not my recipient. Maybe he can help you investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I think I've spent over that "limit" every year.
    Blades!!! Does your PM box recall who got me in 2018 Secret Santa?

Oh that's right, I ran the 2018 SS. How fun and stressful at the same time!

That would be a wiley and feared miscreant that goes by the name of cleeg.

One step closer to unraveling the mystery.... of the gifts I received in 2018. Whatever they might've been. Now, I must seek out this "cleeg", from the UK as I understand it. Wish me luck in my travels, it's a perilous journey across the Atlantic. I've only got a row-boat to my name, but I think I can make this work.

I must warn you explorer, treacherous land lies ahead. Godspeed, and may you unravel one of this mortal plane's most confusing and enduring mysteries, a riddle so confusing it has confused clergy and scientists alike, The Secret of WarmSignal's Missing Game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

Not been involved previously but happy to get involved this year. I'm UK based for what it's worth.

Spotted dick for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spendle View Post
    Not been involved previously but happy to get involved this year. I'm UK based for what it's worth.
    We'd be glad to have you! We typically try to pair up people who are in the same region to make the gift buying and shipping situation flow more smoothly, and I like the idea of more people from the U.K. participating.

I'm down for another year. This is pretty much the only thing I do on this forum anymore, but I look forward to it.

Thread Information