Quantcast

Thread: Vigilante

Master System Vigilante

Irem's brawling hit came home to the Master System without much of a downgrade, and it even supported the console's neat FM sound feature. An addition well worth tracking down and adding to any library, Vigilante remains a great example of how Sega's 8-bit machine could deliver arcade hits. Read the full review for more details.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Xhojn's Avatar

This sounds like a cool game and will need to give it a try!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Very solid beat em up for the SMS. Going back to it nowadays, I think it plays a bit better than Double Dragon. Although the option of 2-player action in DD sets it apart. I've only ever played the Vigilante cart on my SMS and haven't tried it on the Mega SG. I'll have to do that now since that console gives you the option to access the FM sound in SMS games. I've never heard that soundtrack in this game before, and I'm intrigued.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I had, uh, a rather different take back in 2013:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Vigilante (Sega Master System)

It's games like this that make me wonder how the Master System ever hoped to compete with the NES. I could overlook the poor presentation (annoying music, garish colors) if the gameplay was interesting and the controls were crisp; instead, we get the worst parts of Kung Fu and Double Dragon, plus pathetic/buggy boss fights. As for the challenge level, within 75 minutes of putting Vigilante in my SMS for the first time, I was able to 1LC the whole game -- and yet I never got the damned thing to jumpkick consistently, or even semi-consistently. 2/10.
    That said, I played it on TurboGrafx-16 later on and didn't like that version either, so it's possible that this is a solid port of a game I don't like at all.

Outrunner

Well, when you review a game you don't like it, because you don't like it, this is where you get zeroes and that crap. Really, it tells nothing about the game, but yourself. And a review, the main point is the game, not the reviewer, isn't it? Oh well...

Thread Information