Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is physical media dying out? Or will we see a resurgence?

Wii Is physical media dying out? Or will we see a resurgence?

I think the modern copyright holders arent seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to these things. So much media is getting harder to experience because of rights battles, which leaves piracy and the internet as the only alternatives in a lot of cases.

Even Blu-Ray is extremely difficult to play back on PCs. There is software I use for Linux but play too new of a Blu-Ray and the drive's entire ability to play back anything is lost. All in an attempt to stop piracy. Its like a sociological experiment gone wrong.

EDIT: Created a new thread because I think its an interesting topic in and of itself, not to derail a prior topic.
    Last edited by Baloo; 09-11-2022 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think the modern copyright holders arent seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to these things. So much media is getting harder to experience because of rights battles, which leaves piracy and the internet as the only alternatives in a lot of cases.

Even Blu-Ray is extremely difficult to play back on PCs. There is software I use for Linux but play too new of a Blu-Ray and the drive's entire ability to play back anything is lost. All in an attempt to stop piracy. Its like a sociological experiment gone wrong.
    The problem for Linux is that it's a licensing issue so it likely won't get official Blu-Ray support until the patents expire, at which point I expect optical media to be obsolete anyway. Your best bet is to download a key database and decrypt the discs yourself. I put all my movies on my NAS anyway, more convenient than looking for a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    The problem for Linux is that it's a licensing issue so it likely won't get official Blu-Ray support until the patents expire, at which point I expect optical media to be obsolete anyway. Your best bet is to download a key database and decrypt the discs yourself. I put all my movies on my NAS anyway, more convenient than looking for a disc.
    I am not convinced physical media will ever be obsolete, especially considering no one even seems to care about movie quality, with DVD sales outpacing Blu-Ray sales in 2021.

https://itigic.com/dvd-sales-surpass...format-market/

And now with many movies being bounced around streaming services and delisted entirely, it is far easier to buy or rent the physical copy to watch something in a lot of respects. I have probably bought about 10-12 Blu-Rays and DVDs in the last year, including:

Summer Wars
    The Cardinal
    Sherlock (BBC) Seasons 1 and 3 (still looking for 2 on Blu-Ray...)
    Metropolitan, Barcelona, and Last Days of Disco Criterion 3-pack by Whit Stillman
    My Cousin Vinny
    8 1/2 - Criterion Collection Release
    Brooklyn (starring Soerse Ronan)
    Kiki's Delivery Service (2003 Original Theatrical Cut Disney Version)
    Macross Plus Volumes 1 + 2
    Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0
    Dinner Rush starring Danny Aiello

Plenty of movies that havent or never will hit streaming services for various reasons.

Master of Shinobi

I am not convinced physical media will ever be obsolete, especially considering no one even seems to care about movie quality, with DVD sales outpacing Blu-Ray sales in 2021.

https://itigic.com/dvd-sales-surpass...format-market/

And now with many movies being bounced around streaming services and delisted entirely, it is far easier to buy or rent the physical copy to watch something in a lot of respects. I have probably bought about 10-12 Blu-Rays and DVDs in the last year, including:

Summer Wars
    The Cardinal
    Sherlock (BBC) Seasons 1 and 3 (still looking for 2 on Blu-Ray...)
    Metropolitan, Barcelona, and Last Days of Disco Criterion 3-pack by Whit Stillman
    My Cousin Vinny
    8 1/2 - Criterion Collection Release
    Brooklyn (starring Soerse Ronan)
    Kiki's Delivery Service (2003 Original Theatrical Cut Disney Version)
    Macross Plus Volumes 1 + 2
    Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0
    Dinner Rush starring Danny Aiello

Plenty of movies that havent or never will hit streaming services for various reasons.
    I interpret your article a bit differently - it's not that DVD is suddenly seeing a resurgence, but that Blu-Ray sales are crashing while streaming services have grown tremendously over the past 8 years or so. I don't think optical will disappear during my lifetime but it's never going to be the main way people watch movies ever again. Price alone guaranteed its demise, for the cost of one movie you can get an entire month or two on any streaming platform.

Physical media will never be obsolete because, unlike digital media in which you are at the mercy of the service, physical is always ready to go and always there ready to use. Digital has far too many cons outweighing any supposed pro

There are tons of used media stores where I live...I think the average unsophisticated consumer is already used to calling up or going to a store and looking for a movie to watch since the Blockbuster days. Who thinks streaming services are even an enjoyable experience since Netflix lost all of its content?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

People still buy records in 2022 and I had a launch edition of a game come with a CD OST, it will stick around just may not be the main source anymore but older music formats sticking around and so many companies like LRG and even Play Asia doing it shows there is still a demand and Asia LOVES physical media more than digital. The US prefers digital. So Asia at least is keeping consoles physical for a while longer.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I've only ever been able to play one BluRay on my PC's drive. Lethal Weapon 2. After that, it refuses to read any BD. They still work on the BluRay players I got for like ten bucks each at thrift stores, but if I shall be denied the ability to watch movies I purchased, through the means I see fit, then it's yar har, fiddle dee dee.
    Better that way, anyway. I prefer to watch movies in group streams.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

In my opinion, we buying what is on the shelf we are consumers and we do not produce anything, the thing on this earth that is closest to a concept of gods are the oligopolies, if physical media is dying is because there is no one to do it. so everything exists or ceases to exist according to their will, and not everything moves forward if they want to regress us to the cartridge we go back to the cartridge there is nothing to do about that.
    things can go forward or regress, many people think not but it's an illusion, past situations can come back in a snap of the fingers of those who produce.

the only way to have our wishes respected as a gaming community is if we unite in co-op and make our games, our movies happen all according to our will. The other option is to wait for industry something that may or may not happen, almost always doesn't. The industry mostly operates in this combination: distributing junk products and maximizing profits based on the worst quality. Always giving us products we didn't ask for.

But in a way, nowadays, where we have social media, press and lawsuits against companies with this combination, it is possible to maneuver the will of these companies, to enforce our will. Even a new console is possible, But it is necessary to show dissatisfaction nonconformity imo.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 09-12-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    In my opinion, we buying what is on the shelf we are consumers and we do not produce anything, the thing on this earth that is closest to a concept of gods are the oligopolies, if physical media is dying is because there is no one to do it. so everything exists or ceases to exist according to their will, and not everything moves forward if they want to regress us to the cartridge we go back to the cartridge there is nothing to do about that.
    things can go forward or regress, many people think not but it's an illusion, past situations can come back in a snap of the fingers of those who produce.

the only way to have our wishes respected as a gaming community is if we unite in co-op and make our games, our movies happen all according to our will. The other option is to wait for industry something that may or may not happen, almost always doesn't. The industry mostly operates in this combination: distributing junk products and maximizing profits based on the worst quality. Always giving us products we didn't ask for.

But in a way, nowadays, where we have social media, press and lawsuits against companies with this combination, it is possible to maneuver the will of these companies, to enforce our will. Even a new console is possible, But it is necessary to show dissatisfaction nonconformity imo.
    This is why New Coke worked out...right?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Cocaine is a helluva drug

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Physical media will never be obsolete because, unlike digital media in which you are at the mercy of the service, physical is always ready to go and always there ready to use. Digital has far too many cons outweighing any supposed pro
    That was the old physical media... today you still need an Internet connection, servers, firmware updates etc. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I've only ever been able to play one BluRay on my PC's drive. Lethal Weapon 2. After that, it refuses to read any BD. They still work on the BluRay players I got for like ten bucks each at thrift stores, but if I shall be denied the ability to watch movies I purchased, through the means I see fit, then it's yar har, fiddle dee dee.
    Better that way, anyway. I prefer to watch movies in group streams.
    This is what I'm talking about. You have to upgrade your firmware to be able to play new and old Blu-Ray discs on the same device, which isn't always easy to do. If you buy a game on physical media it's even worse as it will need to download updates. If you're dependent on an Internet connection anyway you might as well be streaming.

There are tons of used media stores where I live...I think the average unsophisticated consumer is already used to calling up or going to a store and looking for a movie to watch since the Blockbuster days. Who thinks streaming services are even an enjoyable experience since Netflix lost all of its content?
    Apparently millions, since at least here in the U.S. there are more people using streaming video than cable TV. Blockbuster video died almost a decade ago. On the rare occasion I can't find a movie online it's never even occurred to me to visit a store to look for it.

Again I don't think physical media is ever going to 100% disappear because there's still plenty of people who like it, but its heyday is long over.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Streaming services are much bigger than Netflix. You have multiple providers fighting it out to get your business, including Disney +, HBO Max, Paramount Plus, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Roku, Peacock, ESPN + and list goes on. It's sad to say, but I believe the days of going to a theater to watch movie are counting down pretty fast. Best Buy is slowly shutting down physical media for movies, and the last time I checked it out, it was pretty much on racks that looked very much like something on clearance.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Streaming services are much bigger than Netflix. You have multiple providers fighting it out to get your business, including Disney +, HBO Max, Paramount Plus, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Roku, Peacock, ESPN + and list goes on. It's sad to say, but I believe the days of going to a theater to watch movie are counting down pretty fast. Best Buy is slowly shutting down physical media for movies, and the last time I checked it out, it was pretty much on racks that looked very much like something on clearance.
    Movie theaters were already in decline and Covid put the final nail in their coffin. Not only are fewer people going to theaters, but Hollywood released fewer films and many of them ended up on streaming services right away. I expect theaters to try to some gimmicks to get people back, maybe 3D will make another comeback. In a lot of ways it's like the death of arcades, the home experience got so good there's no point in going out.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

There will always be boutique shops pressing optical discs and vinyl in the future.

I see mass media going entirely digital with physical coming in the form of flash drives. Those without good internet might be travelling to kiosks to copy their media.

Thread Information