Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Street Fighter II

Default Super Street Fighter II

With all the news on the Internet about the upcoming Street Fighter IV and the release of Street Fighter II HD Remix for Xbox Live Arcade and the PS Network, it appears that Capcom's signature franchise is about the take the world by storm, again. Lord knows there's been no shortage of games in the series over the years, and the Genesis partook in all the fighting goodness too, with two separate releases that are still highly playable to this day. Staff writer Vince Thornburg stepped into the arena with the second game, Super Street Fighter II, which weighs in at forty megs, making it the largest Genesis cart ever made. Bruised, bloody, but victorious, he came back with a full review. Hadoken!
    Last edited by Melf; 09-03-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Bugger me Super Street Fighter 2 is awesome game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

"They pretty much just upgraded a look, fixed some sounds, added four characters, made some changes to the endings, but pretty much had the rest of the cast remain as they were before. If you were to do this today, youd be lambasted before the game even hit stores. But Capcom released it, figuring, why mess with perfection?"

I seem to recall Capcom being lambasted because of their refusal to make a proper sequel to SF2. The press didn't (certainly not EGM, those SF2 whores) but reading letters to the magazine revealed that some were growing tired of what was being done with SF2.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Ral Julia...

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I own this game on cartridge, yet ive never played it. maybe it doesnt work? I know i used to have the little LCD tiger handheld game thing when i was little.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

I disagree a lot with this review. The sound is utter, utter tosh compared to the prequel (which I haven't played much, but heard on VGM). The graphics are pretty bad as well. The AI doesn't improve on the higher difficulty settings - instead, they just do more damage (totally unfair). I also read that it wasn't a great success - people were tired of SFII upgrades and new Super Street Fighter II Turbo was already on the way (or so they thought), so many carts never left the shelves. Still, it was very well written as always.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

As an upgrade from Championship Edition, Super was in no way shape or form worth the money. It is, however, an improvement on Championship Edition and the pinnacle of Mega Drive fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

It's awesome when you take a break from these newer fighting games and get back to a classic SSFII (MD or SNES, whatever).
    That's when you realize the power of the 16-bit era.
    MD version was superior due to just one defining feature: the 6-button control pad.

This is Aarzak Claus bringing you some goodies:

"Super Street Fighter II" Comparison (SNES, Genesis, Game Boy Advance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3d-4qIASuw

Game Pilgrimage's "Super Street Fighter II" Comparison (CPS2, SNES, Genesis):

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/ssfii.htm

"Street Fighter II Champion Edition/Turbo" Comparison (PCE, SNES, Genesis):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM2p2suJqK8

Game Pilgrimage's: "Street Fighter II SCE/Turbo" Comparison (CPS1, SNES, Genesis):

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/SFIIT.htm

"Street Fighter II Turbo" (actually a hack of the unreleased, unfinished Genesis CE port from early 1993) Gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Cssq-m1TA

With that out of the way, my two cents on tha Genesis SSFII port:

While the differences in graphics and sound samples (NOT sound quality) between the 16-Bit ports of SCE/Turbo were almost negligable, the difference is much more apparent between the 16-Bit ports of SSFII. 40 MEGA POWER Vs. 32 MEGA POWER, slightly more parallax on the SNES, MUCH better color and color choices on the SNES, pretty close-to-CPS2-music on SNES, horrific, sub-SCE-resembling-Master System FM music on the Genesis, missing voice samples and animation on the SNES..............

The fact that SSFIIT had already been out by the time these ports were released in summer 1994, coupled with the fact that many were waiting for a Super Turbo port or tired of SFII altogether, resulted in these ports bombing in sales. If anything it sold more on Genesis, with the convenience of the 6-Button Pad and there only having been one previous SF2 title. In Japan the Super Fami SSFII apparently sold 1-2 million copies though.

EGM gave both ports near-average scores, particularly the Genny port which they gave two 6.0's to and highlighted that it didn't look/sound as good as the SNES port. In response/anger, Capcom pulled all of their ads from EGM for awhile.

Nice SSF2 comparison, though it doesn't show the options screens and obviosly you cant tell which game controls the best. I think the SNES version has a slight edge over MD and the GBA version is pretty disappointing. I used to own it.

On Genesis:

Special Champion Edition > SSFII.

No no no.

SSFII never rubbed me right. The sound was just horrendous (especially on the Super Nintendo version) and the new characters just didn't appeal to me.

Though for what it's worth I think it's still a great great game, I just prefer Championship Edition to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    On Genesis:

Special Champion Edition > SSFII.
    IAWTA.

SSFII just seemed, no it was too ambitious for the Genesis hardware, while the SNES' superior color palette and sound suite helped it squeak by with a decent conversion. No shadow/hilight was gonna work wonders for this port!

According to Game Pilgrimage's comparison of the ports, the reason for the horrendously tinny music and sfx in the Genesis port is because Capcom tried to compose the music/sfx with digitized samples...........on an analog, FM synth-based sound suite. Even the CPS1's sound suite, superior to the Genny's (in most respects) struggled to do digitized sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    the SNES' superior color palette and sound suite helped it squeak by with a decent conversion.
    #1 - The Genesis sound suite is closer to the CPS2 arcade hardware than the SNES is.

#2 - It sounds to me like the SNES version of Super Street Fighter 2 went overboard with the reverb. Reverb = bad (in almost all cases).

#3 - The arcade itself sounded like ass.

CPS2 has sample-based "Q-Sound" hardware, not the Yamaha FM-based sound hardware that the first revision of the CPS1 had. (CPS1 was also retrofitted with "Q-Sound" hardware late in its life, notably used in "The Punisher"). Ironically, SCE sounded closer to the CPS1 SF2's due to similar sound suites while SNES Turbo didn't, but it was the exact opposite for SSFII as the SPC700 and "Q-Sound" suites are both sample-based, making it possible for the SNES SSFII to sound closer to the coin-op.

Thread Information