Quantcast

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Super Street Fighter II

During the 16 bit war I thought the genesis versions of sf II were inferior to the snes ports it was not until the late 90s I played a sf game on the genesis ssf II I could not believe how good it looked on the genesis I did not discover the greatness of the six button controller until about three years ago with the six button pad ssf II is the definitive 16 bit SF game I wish I could use it on the newer systems.

I don't really know why but I love Champion Edition more. Maybe because I hated all of the new challengers and I liked classic stage and character portrait graphics more.

This is coming to Wii Virtual Console with online play. Should be good.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

Super Street Fighter II is probably my most played genesis game in my collection. I actually perfected my Guile / Vega fighting styles through that game and actively pitied people who bought the obsolete Street Fighter II: Championship Edition. I must say though, SFII champ edition was more true to the "old school" playing style of SF but I'd rather have the whole sha-bang of Super Street Fighter II. Also, the Boss characters moves and animation where more refined in SSFII
    Last edited by TheEdge; 11-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Road Rasher

I've always wondered how this game used a 40 Megabit cartridge when the supposed limit is 32 Megabits. Does Super Street Fighter II have some sort of special chip(s) or is there hardware inside the cartridge that allows for this?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I've always wondered how this game used a 40 Megabit cartridge when the supposed limit is 32 Megabits. Does Super Street Fighter II have some sort of special chip(s) or is there hardware inside the cartridge that allows for this?
    Bank switching. It was common on Atari 2600.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Road Rasher

Changes from previous versions of Street Fighter II (The World Warrior, Champion Edition, Turbo: Hyper Fighting) to Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

Graphics

New HUD (Heads up display)

Updated character artwork (miniature character portraits, main VS screen portraits, and defeated character portraits have been re-drawn)

8 new endings (Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and M. Bison now have their own ending screen artwork, rather than a slightly modified version of the same end screen with the faces changed around showing the playerís character at the top. They also have new text accompanying their ending sequences. Cammy White, Dee Jay, Fei Long, and T. Hawk add four more endings)

Re-colored stages (character stages and bonus game stages)

New introduction sequence

4 new stages added

92 new costume colors added (the original 12 from SFII, the 12 ones added in Champion Edition, and the 12 costume colors included in Hyper Fighting are also available, making for a total of 128 selectable costume colors)

Ryuís Hadouken, Chun Liís Kikoken, Sagatís Tiger Shots, and Guileís Sonic Boom animations have been updated graphically.

Updated map/country location screen and character select screen

Audio

Updated music and sound effects

The announcer voice and various character voices have been re-done

Each character has their own K.O. scream, rather than all of the male characters having the same one in previous versions of Street Fighter II

Animal noises and crowd noise can now be heard after winning a match

The four boss characters now have their own ending music instead of having the same ending theme like in previous editions

Game play

4 new characters added (Cammy White, Dee Jay, Fei Long, and T. Hawk)

4 new countries added (England, Hong Kong, Jamaica, and Mexico, although England was available in the original Street Fighter)

Additional command moves for various characters

Information about special attacks

Ryuís Fire Hadouken added, ground Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku spins fewer times, mid-air Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku altered

Kenís fierce punch Shoryuken lights characters on fire, aerial Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku altered

Chun Liís Kikoken command motion changed and no longer goes full screen as it did in SFII Turbo: Hyper Fighting, can no longer perform the Spinning Bird Kick in mid-air

Blankaís Backstep Rolling Attack added, Vertical Rolling Attack can no longer hit on the way down since Blanka flips out at the end of the move in mid-air

E. Hondaís Sumo Smash always knocks down

Zangiefís Flying Powerbomb added, Atomic Suplex added

Balrogís Buffalo Headbutt added

Vegaís Sky High Claw added

M. Bisonís Devil Reverse added

Hardware

CPS-2 (upgraded version of CPS-1 hardware which was used in previous versions of Street Fighter II)

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Josh, do you prefer overall Sf2's audio or Ssf2's?
    I personally can't stand Guile's new voice, as well as the announcer's.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Josh, do you prefer overall Sf2's audio or Ssf2's?
    I personally can't stand Guile's new voice, as well as the announcer's.
    I prefer the music in the CPS-1 versions of SFII over Super SFII. I also like the announcer's voice and Guile's voice in the CPS-1 versions more. I like the sound effects in Super Street Fighter II more than SFII: The World Warrior, Champion Edition, and Turbo: Hyper Fighting. Overall, I'd say the audio in SFII: WW, CE, and HF is better than Super SFII.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Bank switching.
    How does bank switching work for this game? Could Super Street Fighter II have been ported to the Sega Genesis using a 32 Megabit cart (and if so, what would it most likely be missing) or was a 40 Megabit cart required for it to be ported over?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

The one reason it uses 40 Mbit is the incredible amount of PCM samples. If you cut back on ROM size the first thing you'd loose would be these.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    (and if so, what would it most likely be missing)
    No 40mbit cart was not required, if they had gone with a 32M cart most likely they would have cut.

1. All announcing voices, no RYU WINS here or YOU LOSE!
    2. Not sure if the lose portraits were animated, but if they are then these would have been reduced to 1 frame.
    3. Ken & Ryu would not have had their own stance sprites, instead they would have shared as much of the same sprites as they could.
    4. Ken & Ryu would also not have had their own win sprite. (see 3)
    5. no bigass Ryu intro
    6. Backgrounds would have lost some detail, no bicycles on Chun-Li's stage for example.

This is all pretty much from mind, so don't get angry if i mentioned something that never made it to the Genny version.

In the end you'd pretty much get the Snes version but with less colors.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Side by side longplay comparison between the arcade and Genesis port:

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

It really was a great port, and it sounded pretty good too, all things considered. Better since Stef's work of course. I'd sum it up as 'not too shabby.'
    Last edited by cleeg; 04-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I think most Capcom ports ported by Capcom themselves were really well done for the Genesis. Some people on this board like to shit on their effort due to audio updates of Steph and color improvements of Pyron but considering the limitations the Genesis ports were already really well done.

About SSF2 the only thing that really disappointments me is the music having no sampled percussion it would have went along way in giving some much needed punch. Also the music is mixed at a lower volume level compared to most Genesis games or something because I always have to turn it up compared to other games. Something I find to be a huge upgrade over SF2CE and SSF2 on the Snes are the sound effects for hit impacts they sound great and make it feel like you're delivering punishment to you're opponent. I really like the updated color palette of SSF2 Genesis (yes Pyron was able to improve it further) Also the game play with 4 new characters and additional moves for existing characters make this the definitive Street Fighter experience for me on Genesis.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Thread Information