Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samurai Shodown

I always felt this was by far, Takara's best effort. Things got left on the cutting room floor (namely, Earthquake and his stage), but the rest of the game made it in largely unmolested, even the bonus rounds. Nice graphics and animation, 12 total characters, cool backgrounds, some cool gameplay touches (losing weapons, item drops, some animals to use for attacks, etc.)... it's just a well rounded and thought out fighting game that break away from the Street Fighter mold with its weapon-based combat and more methodical pacing. It's not a perfect port obviously, as some small things were altered to save space, but it still looks, plays and feels like the game it was ported from, and the even the sound was handled pretty well. It also helps that the Neo-Geo original was a fantastic game to begin with (unlike some other SNK ports that Takara brought over).

So yeah, great fighter for the Genesis, and it trumps the SNES version to boot... even if it had Earthquake.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Banned by Administrators

Never played the Genesis version, but I do remember it being a big deal when it came home to the consoles. Advertisements, tons of positive reviews in magazines.

What I CAN tell you is, I suffered through the actual NeoGeo version, SS1 was made before SNK "discovered" progressive difficulty, in other words, every single character is tough as nails. I dont know how I beat the game on level-4 difficulty, oh yeah a lotta retries. The last bad guy Amakusa? Was damn near impossible untill you realize you can fool him/her into walking into you everytime for a throw to get a perfect using any character 100% of the time.

The Genesis version's easier, though if you want to see the full endings (extra stuff after the character's ending), you have to beat it without continuing, and on difficulty 4 or harder if I recall.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

If only the PAL-version of the game wasn't that unbearably slow! *groan*

I mean, even the NTSC-version suffers the occasional slowdown, but can you imagine the drag this puts on a Eruopean Mega Drive?
    This is one of those games that justifies both region modding and overclocking your console. Only then does it unfold its full glory.

Here's a clip of the PAL-version, yo you can see what I'm talking about.

/edit: Holy crap, I've just noticed! Look at the end of the clip: Galford friggin' CUTS HANZO IN HALF there! I never realized you could actually do that (and I had seen the match life, however I never really noticed that until now...)
    Last edited by Phantar; 09-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I always felt this was by far, Takara's best effort..
    This game was not programmed by Takara, that's the reason this port is one of the best fighting game ports on the Genesis. It was ported by Saurus, somehow a company directed related to SNK.
    You can check the Japanese version of the rom, it doesn't have the flatulent Takara's logo and no mention at the title screen. Or here (OK, I know it's not so reliable...), here and here.

Takara, indeed, did the SNES port and it's a good explanation to how it sucks compared to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    This is one of those games that justifies both region modding and overclocking your console. Only then does it unfold its full glory.
    For sure! The port is overall very faithful to the original, but you need a little boost to enjoy it in its full glory! *Mainly* when you're fighting with/against Nakoruru.
    Last edited by Barone; 09-06-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Banned by Administrators

I dont like any other Samurai Showdown, actually I dont even like part one that much either. Im just not a fan of the series. (although I did enjoy part one while I did play it)

Good. Gooooooooooood.

We lost Earthquake but we still had an amazing version given our fav console's limitation. Big, detailed characters, good backgrounds and sound and vertiginous sword action (well, Amakusa has a crystal ball, but whatever). The Mega CD version was way prettier and has Earthquake, but it has loading times, which pissed some people out back then (now it's our harsh reality, even on PS5 or XBOX One).

Master of Shinobi

Simultaneously one of the most impressive yet most compromised ports on the system. The work done to maintain the look and the little touches from the arcade version (the ref, etc) were admirable, but there was a big problem if you were familiar with the original game: the moves.

They changed a lot of the moves, I assume so they could reuse animation frames and save ROM space. Take Haohmaru attacking at range: in the arcade version his light attack is a quick slash, his mid attack is a forward stab, and his heavy attack is a deep and powerful slash. In the Mega Drive version his light attack is the same, his medium attack is a slower and stronger version of his light attack, and his heavy attack is a rising slash. Two out of three of his sword attacks are different from the arcade and AFAIK use the close range attacks from the arcade version at all ranges. That's not great.

It's a bit sluggish, but it's a fun game. It's just a bit ironic that you'll probably find it a better game if you are unfamiliar with the original.
    Last edited by Silanda; 06-12-2021 at 09:01 AM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yep, shame about the missing moves. But with SOJ's self imposed 24 meg cap, something had to give.

Aside from that, the port suffers from slowdowns when characters with animal companions fight, the music translation is a bit weedy sounding and playing on real hardware the game has an undisguised row of CRAM dots mid screen to account for the palette change (not that this worries me, but it's just unusual to see). Iirc the game is also slightly letterboxed but that's hardly a real complaint since a lot of fighters were like that on the 16 bits.

The good points: like you say a lot has been done to maintain the look of the arcade. Big sprites, imo good colour use, quite excellent representation of the sound FX, and the unique feel of Samurai Shodown's dramatic hits captured very well.

Going the extra mile with the ref (iirc he's dynamic tiles) was cool to see.

Overall impressive to see running just unfortunate where the corners had to be cut.

Thread Information