Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skeleton Krew

Hero of Algol

The reviewer was wrong about the sound track.
    This is one of those games that if you use regular TV speakers it sounds boring but when plug some good stereo on your Genesis/Mega Drive it sound amazing.
    The techno-creepy soundtrack is perfectly suited for this game. Sadly, using regular speakers you'll never here some minimalistic sounds and the bassy moments intentionally put in the soundtrack. You just need a good hi-fi stereo with a good sub-woofer to appreciate the true glory of its creepy compositions.

The graphics are really outstanding. Very impressive and very rare slowdowns even in the 2-player mode, really amazing job by Core (expected!).

For the controls, I recommend the Quickshot's Chimera 3.
    Well, the Chimera has only 3 buttons but its design and very good stick are the best ones for isometric and top-down view games. No exception here, a very smooth playing using a Chimera.

With the proper controls and sound system, this game deserves a 8 with no doubt. Very underrated and overlooked.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I remember enjoying this game immensely when it came out.
    Playing it again today, it's not as fresh anymore. The controls and pacing feel a little awkward and the game gets monotonous quick. I guess I've experienced a lot better games since then.

Banned by Administrators

its like the old version of PROJECT OVERKILL?

Hero of Algol

Thank you for your suggestion, holy crap!
    I have a fully modded PSone here, I'll burn a backup copy and give it a try! Looks wonderful...
    I love isometric action games.

Its not too bad but agree it does get quite mindless and boring after a while and it was not easy to get hold of here in uk at least in my opinion, i only ever remember owning a single copy once and i used to trade games.

Hero of Algol

That's a bit strange, since Core Design was a European company and Mega Drive was the #1 there.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Skeleton Krew is another similar game I've been on the lookout for. That also has a CD32 version, music sounds better on MD though from what I've heard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Skeleton Krew is dope, I love it.
    The MD's music is really awesome IMO, the way it rocks a subwoofer is mind-blowing. Just listen to this masterpiece (real hardware recording): www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUioJ_3lDdg
    I ended up playing this game the other day just to feel the awesomeness of its soundtrack once again and it blew my mind how refined/fine-tuned the sounds are in each track; they really dominate the room, it's phenomenal.
    I set my stereo to make strong use of the subwoofer and let the MD rock it to no end. The window of my room was shaking at some parts of the music, lol.

It's insane how good the YM2612 can sound in the right hands and when outputting to proper equipment.

On a side note about CD32 vs MD versions: the CD32 one slowdowns a lot more and has less animation in the stages. The MD version also delivers more details overall while looking comparatively washed out here and there.
    Last edited by Barone; 02-05-2016 at 05:01 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yep, I've listen to the OST at length and the sound is pretty phenomenal, I'm looking to pick up a cart of this soon once my current PS1 phase has subsided.

Prices for the Genesis version are getting steep, how does the PAL version perform on NTSC hardware, does it run too fast or something?

Outrunner

What I remember about this game was, when game was released, the developer said this was their last 16bit game. I felt sad about that...

Another nice Amiga port: an isometric shooter with Giger-like aestethics by those good Core lads and ladies. My memories of it are a bit misty at best, but I liked it back in the day. Its ending is fairly curious, too.

Thread Information