Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caliber .50

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

three mystic words: Action Fifty Two.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Caliber .50 is definitely not a very pretty game. But overall I would say that this ugly ducking played okay. After spending some time with this game, I don't think this game is meant to be a run'n gun shooter. Rather the player is forced to play a more tactical game. What makes Rambo III a true run 'n gun is the ability to fire in the direction you are facing. In this game, however, you are forced to use the 2 face buttons in order to control which direction you shoot which the directional pad controls your character. The controls are a little reminiscent of Forgotten Worlds' controls. As noted in the review, this game also has respawning enemies which can be a bit of a headache if you decide to backtrack. But in all honesty, you rarely if ever have to do that once you figure out the layout and the quickest way to the exit. It's an relatively easy game to play & I had no issue with the controls. But admittedly this game doesn't offer much of a challenge compared to the other games in the genre. One thing that some players might find irritating is the amount of slowdown that occurs when you encounter a high volume of enemies/projectiles that appear on screen.

Even though the visuals are not spectacular and the gameplay is comparably inferior, I enjoyed playing it: it's one of those games that I welcome when I've had a rough day at work and simply want to plod through a game without shedding any blood, sweat or tears!

ADDENDUM: The link in the opening post appears to be broken. The URL Address to the said review can be found at: http://www.sega-16.com/2008/01/caliber-50/

Cheers!
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 03-15-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

It's nice to play as Guile in an action game.

Maybe it's not very nice. But it's fully playable. If you pass the first two screens, it gets a little bizarre and therefore funny. The transition from level to level adds a surreal touch to the whole question, linking scenarios that have little to do with each other, like it was a nightmare. No way deserves a three out of ten. Rather a six.
    Last edited by Falucho; 03-29-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I finally found this game. At least my Mentrix collection is complete. Hooray for obscure collecting goals...

Why 3/10?
    This game have good playability and a good fun factor!
    The Graphics are really poor adapted to the Genesis if we compare to the Original Arcade Game

The Music Rocks!
    In overall, a Fun game to play!
    6/10
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 08-25-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Yeah, I just finished playing this. 3 is an absurd score for this game. As far as I'm concerned. Mentrix was 3 for 3 on the Genesis. I likes all 3 of their games. (Wardner, Championship Bowling, Caliber .50) I played this game on normal and hard with both control set ups. It's not the best run-n-gun on the system, but a 3 is just pushing it. I'd give this at least a 6. I was having a good time till 3 giant monkeys killed me. I'm glad I found it.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

After the latest Metal Jesus video, I gave it a try, and found it surprisingly fun. John didn't exactly put it over as a spectacular game. So I have to agree more with page 2 of this thread, than page 1.

I think all the Genesis/MS Menrtix games are really good. Cal.50 is probably the worst of the bunch, but it's still fun. Wardner and Championship bowling are really fun though. I love Championship Bowling too much.

Thread Information