Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Wrestlemania

Sonic Super Wrestlemania

WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER? Hulkamania's runnin' wild on your Genesis in Flying Edge's Super Wrestlemania! Itching for some wrasslin' action from the good ol' days? We've got you covered with a full review of a game from the height of the pre-"attitude" era of the WWF, back before the World Wildlife Fund stole the abbreviation! Read on and remember to say your prayers and eat your vitamins!
    Last edited by Melf; 10-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.

"WWF Super Wrestlemania" by Acclaim/Sculptured Software. First-ever wrestling video game to sell a million copies (both SNES and Genesis versions combined), mostly due to copies being given away to those who ordered Wrestlemania 8 & 9..........for free. Acclaim overproduced the HELL out of this game, like they did with most of their mostly crappy softs.

Okay.........so I lied about that. Only because I have a horrible, kinda traumatic Genesis-related story to tell about this HORRIBLE wrestling game.......

Back around 1996, I was (figuratively) bouncing around all of my Genesis-owning friend's houses with my copy of "Mortal Kombat 3" in tow, shilling it every chance I got. It cost $70, it was a 32 MEGA POWER cart, it was a late '95 Genesis release that came in a CLAMSHELL case and most importantly it was a great conversion of the coin-op, so damn right I was glad to have it!

This one time, that same year, I went with an older cousin to visit a Genesis-owning friend of his. He mostly had crappy, common games so we were all mostly playing my l33t softs that I brought over, including MK3. I noticed that my cousin's friend was especially fixated and in awe of my MK3 cart, holding it and viewing it for more times than I felt comfortable........letting him do so. (The cart, not me.) Occasionally I noticed him playing with the cart's loose label (my copy's label had a difficult time remaining on from the very beginning......chalk it up to Acclaim's crappy packaging) but didn't pay much mind to it. We stayed a few hours, and then I took all of my softs and we left.

Later on, when we got to my cousin's house (also a Genesis owner), I looked at my MK3 cart and noticed it looked kind of weird. The cart looked a bit dirtier and had some scuffs. On a whim, I decided to try it out on the Genesis. I see a copyright screen come up and it does mention "Sculptured Software" (who developed both Super WM and MK3)......but it wasn't MK3's copyright screen, it was that of "WWF Super Wrestlemania", a random cart I remember seeing at the house we were just at. First figuring that I discovered some hidden game inside the cart (think "Sonic 3D Blast"'s hidden level select, achieved by nudging the cart during gameplay). Seconds later, THIS horrid title screen with its horrible music came up:

http://sega-16.com/review_images/1000/1.gif

I officially began freaking out; this was NOT my copy of MK3, it was fuggin' WWF SUPER WRESTLEMANIA. I checked the cart some more and it finally dawned on me.......... that bastard friend of my cousin's switched the labels on MY MK3 cart and HIS Super WM cart! No wonder I saw him trying to peel off my label. Me and my cousin were livid, and immediately stormed back to his friend's house where my cousin told the punk off and threathened him if he didn't return my MK3 cart. His friend look surprised and got caught completely off guard, not expecting the heist to be revealed so quickly.

I soon got my MK3 cart back, but not too long after I got tired of keeping its peeling label off so I chucked the label. Around two years or so later, mid-late 1998ish, I simply left my MK3 cart inside a black bag on top of a heap of garbage on some ghetto street............inside a Genesis 2 w/Sega CD 2 attached to it also inside the bag. And then I simply walked away, and that was the end of my beloved copy of MK3, and the Sega wares I had dumped due to not being able to sell them anywhere.

Since that incident, I've had a STRONG disdain for the Genesis "Super Wrestlemania", but actually got the superior (which really isn't saying much) SNES versions years later. All in all, your best bets for Acc-Lame's 16-Bit wrestling games are the 32X version of "WWF RAW" (best version of that game, most advanced version of the engine) and "WWF Rage in the Cage" for the Sega CD (combines the rosters of both SNES and Genesis versions of "WWF Royal Rumble" plus additional exclusive wrestlers, exclusive crappy cage match option, no tag-team matches).
    Last edited by Aarzak; 02-08-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Smee Lesko is the coolest name ever.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

OHHHH YYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!!

I can't believe Macho Man made a rap album.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

This is visually so much worse than the SNES-version....but it has the Ultimate Warrior, who was my favourite wrestler before I learned that he talks like an all-American Nazi.

People like "wrastlin" over in Germany?

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Germany was the second-most important market for the WWF in the early 90“s, so you can say Rasslin“ was popular. The WWF visited Germany about 2 or 3 times a year for tours through all major cities.
    But just as videogames, it got a problem because of the violence. The shows were no longer allowed to be shown before 10 in the evening, when most kiddies had to sleep. And because of that, and the bad reputation it had, it became harder and harder to get commercials into the shows, resulting in Wrestling to be shifted even further into the night with time slots beginning in 11 if they were lucky, sometimes even 2 in the morning. There at least telephone-sex-commercials could be sold, but the big times were over.
    Now Smackdown has one hour weekly on free TV on a 10 o“clock-slot, and more stuff on Pay TV. But since it“s only 1 hour, and the big events are missing completely, it“s no big deal anymore; very different to the US, were the buisiness has grown and grown.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Oh boy! This game was drawn in the knockout final at our last tournament and man was it awesome. While the game itself is utter tosh with choppy graphics, annoying sound and generally unresponsive gameplay (how the bloody hell it got rated a seven is beyond me) it was a mixture of hilarity and awesome watching the two finalists duel - the highlight of the game being one of the players hurled out the ring, which received an enormous cheer from the spectators. Competitive Mega Drive 2-players are awesome. WWF Super Wrestlemania is tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Nameless One

There's no way this should be rated a 7 when the writer often admits that the game is weaker than WWF Royal Rumble (that game also got a 7).

Which one of you is Smee?

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Ive never played this game, but i have played royal rumble and it looks almost the same. I swear, the only good rasslin game i have ever played was WCW nitro. I know im going to get crap for that. I guess WCW/NWO world tour for N64 was okay as well.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Nameless One

I'm Smee.

Anyway, I thought people would think I rated it high. Truth is, I didn't review RR - Vince did, and he did a great review - but in my opinion, RR deserves an 8. But I don't really think the final score matters, I covered a lot in the review. If it's that important to you, just visualize it with a lower score, I just happen to have really enjoyed it.

Oh, and trekbone, Nitro? Dear god, that's one of the worst wrestling games ever. If you liked World Tour, you should give WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF WrestleMania 2000, and WWF No Mercy for the N64 a try. All made by Aki, all regarded highly as amazing games.
    Last edited by Lesko900; 02-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesko900
    I'm Smee.

Anyway, I thought people would think I rated it high. Truth is, I didn't review RR - Vince did, and he did a great review - but in my opinion, RR deserves an 8. But I don't really think the final score matters, I covered a lot in the review. If it's that important to you, just visualize it with a lower score, I just happen to have really enjoyed it.

Oh, and trekbone, Nitro? Dear god, that's one of the worst wrestling games ever. If you liked World Tour, you should give WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF WrestleMania 2000, and WWF No Mercy for the N64 a try. All made by Aki, all regarded highly as amazing games.
    I like him!

Oddly enough, I had originally put an 8 years ago by had it recently changed to 7.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    But just as videogames, it got a problem because of the violence.
    I don't really think WWE stuff to be that violent.

But then I watched stuff like "Robobop" when I was 8.

Makes me think of the golden years of the "R" rating...circa 1980 to around 1995. Back when "R" really meant excessive violence or the obligatory naked/topless women.

We'll be getting a middle finger in a PG movie soon enough.

Thread Information