Quantcast

Thread: "state something completely random time!"

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Pfff I have the big pc box AND the Steam version AND the PS2 game.

I just thought it would be nice of them to actually release it as a patch.exe for those who like to run games on their legacy hardware.

Banned by Administrators

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

^That's the best explanation I've seen.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

If anyone remembers from a few weeks back, I said I was getting the SG Propad. Well, I've bought it through two different sellers, and both times I've waiting weeks for nothing to arrive, and been refunded on both (not at the same time - the first got refunded, then I bought another thru a different seller, and 2 weeks later, refunded again due to nothing showing up). Yet all other items from Ebay and Amazon bought in the same period came with no issue.

Not sure if there's some kind of scam going on (lol) or my postman has taken a liking to Genesis controllers, but I'm slightly amused/annoyed by it. Makes me want the pad even more now.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I wish I had the vocabulary to express my feelings about Shadow of the Beast, but I honestly feel like that's like trying to explain your dreams to other people. It's a totally visceral reaction that can't fully be communicated properly.

There's something completely unworldly about that game that I can't quite put my finger on, and it isn't something that I've seen replicated by any other game or movie. I think it's actually an amalgam of many things: the weird-ass cover artwork, the trippy (but fantastic) music, and that friggin' dirigible in the background. The best I can do is compare it to is being 8 years old and listening to my cousin's metal albums (I think it was Iron Maiden or Dio).

Does that make sense to anyone? Probably not, it's Shadow of the Beast.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Yes. It's mystical.

Judged purely as a game, however... I think it's crap.

Jackal, I'm watching your Mario128 video. I think you already talked about this, but what is this? A fan remake of Mario 64 using PS4 tech?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    or my postman has taken a liking to Genesis controllers

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Does that make sense to anyone?
    It totally makes sense to me, reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend years ago about the differences between European and American comics.
    To me the average American comic is very straight and to the point while European comics are much more.. fantasy like and twirl between reality or something.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Jackal, I'm watching your Mario128 video. I think you already talked about this, but what is this? A fan remake of Mario 64 using PS4 tech?
    It's a tech demo remake of Mario 64, in the Unity engine, yes. It's not 1:1 to the original; controls are delayed, and the deadzones needed to be adjusted to move around properly, but it's still pretty impressive.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 07-13-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

storm comics don t tell me they never crossed the big bleu sea
    damn the hardcovers first edition a really hard to get
    even the prices are expensive

Raging in the Streets

I wish I had the vocabulary to express my feelings about Shadow of the Beast, but I honestly feel like that's like trying to explain your dreams to other people. It's a totally visceral reaction that can't fully be communicated properly.

There's something completely unworldly about that game that I can't quite put my finger on, and it isn't something that I've seen replicated by any other game or movie. I think it's actually an amalgam of many things: the weird-ass cover artwork, the trippy (but fantastic) music, and that friggin' dirigible in the background. The best I can do is compare it to is being 8 years old and listening to my cousin's metal albums (I think it was Iron Maiden or Dio).

Does that make sense to anyone? Probably not, it's Shadow of the Beast.
    Shadow of the Beast has such a great atmosphere, tons of parallax scrolling, great music, everything just looks and feels so awesome. In fact even the title screen (Amiga version, fuck any other version) looks so cool with that music that just sounds great.

Until you go into the treehouse thing and the second level pretty much, then the music is pretty average, the graphics are nothing special and the gameplay is just boring as fuck to get through.

Doesn't help that the game is so hard (not because it's even hard, just because it gives you so little life to play with before a Game Over) that it feels so utterly unrewarding and tiresome to play.

I think the best way to sum it up, when it was released in 1989 reviewers basically shit their pants about how much of a technical feat it was (and thats a bad sign, when a review focuses on how special a game looks and sounds instead of how it actually plays) and when it was re-released as a budget title only 2 years later? 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by acdc View Post
    storm comics don t tell me they never crossed the big bleu sea
    I read them all and still don't know what the fuck happened, then again I merely read them for Roodhaar titties!

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    It's a tech demo remake of Mario 64, in the Unity engine, yes. It's not 1:1 to the original; controls are delayed, and the deadzones needed to be adjusted to move around properly, but it's still pretty impressive.
    You can definitely tell it's a little buggy, but it's quite pretty to look at. I'd love to see what these guys would do with the rest of the game.

Thread Information