Quantcast

Page 2132 of 2149 FirstFirst ... 113216322032208221222128212921302131213221332134213521362142 ... LastLast
Results 31,966 to 31,980 of 32233

Thread: "state something completely random time!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    We gotta create a backlash army. "Save player 1"? How about "Save backwards compatibility from greedy companies"
    You guys are overrating backwards compatibility. It was never good on PS3 when playing PS1 games on it. There was always issues with a game whether it didn't run well or it had graphical or audio glitches. To expect them to simply have it compatible with all systems is like asking Windows to have compatibility with anything 1.0 and up. Never going to happen. It's not as simple as you think. Even PS2 had issues running PS1 games, but as bad compared to PS3. Saying greedy companies is a cop out excuse.

Original Xbox emulation has never been good either. And the support for all Xbox systems BC is garbage.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

BC crowd is a very very small minority. I don't remember where I saw it but it was something like less than 10% who wanted it/used it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    You guys are overrating backwards compatibility. It was never good on PS3 when playing PS1 games on it. There was always issues with a game whether it didn't run well or it had graphical or audio glitches. To expect them to simply have it compatible with all systems is like asking Windows to have compatibility with anything 1.0 and up. Never going to happen. It's not as simple as you think. Even PS2 had issues running PS1 games, but as bad compared to PS3. Saying greedy companies is a cop out excuse.
    PS4 could easily handle PS1 emulation. I'm sure if homebrew coders can knock out a good emu on weaker PC hardware, Sony can do the same, if not better on it, which they did, on their subscription based streaming service.

PS3 emulation is def off the cards for the PS4, I'll be honest, but they could've done PS2 emulation. They managed it on the PS3, and it being wank or not on that is not the point, they pulled it off on weaker hardware - there's no excuse why it's locked away to a streaming service, except for greed.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    BC crowd is a very very small minority. I don't remember where I saw it but it was something like less than 10% who wanted it/used it.
    Take away PS Now and those numbers would rise... a little. Sadly you're right, at the end of the day, Backwards compat is something the majority don't give a fuck about.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Original Xbox emulation has never been good either. And the support for all Xbox systems BC is garbage.
    Riveting tale fine chap(thats a different way of saying "cool story bro"). Doesn't change my thoughts on backwards compatibility whatsoever. By now I've played more PS1 games on PS2 than on a actual PS1. I do not own a OG Xbox and will never own one, the only way I play OG Xbox games is on 360.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Eh... Iím fully aware that most gamers donít really give a crap about BC (which is weird to me, TBH). But without knowing how each system reads data off the game disc ... and ďencodingĒ and stuff (whatever that means), it just doesnít make sense why each new disc-based console canít boot up all the games from every console that game before it.

Itís not going to be an absolute deal-breaker for me on the PS5, but how backwards-compatibility is handled (if at all) will definitely determine how long it takes me to upgrade.

Well there are exceptions. Like believe it or not the PS4 can't do PS1 backwards compatibility because it has no CD support. But if a console is capable of backwards compatibility with another console and the feature isn't there, then the only thing preventing that is greed.

Also just so we're on the same page, PS4 backwards compatibility on PS5 will be more native than PS1 backwards compatibility on PS2. They literally got no excuses this time around.

Though I gotta ask all you. Whats the reason the Xbone can play OG Xbox games but the PS4 can't play PS2 games?

Well there are exceptions. Like believe it or not the PS4 can't do PS1 backwards compatibility because it has no CD support. But if a console is capable of backwards compatibility with another console and the feature isn't there, then the only thing preventing that is greed.

Also just so we're on the same page, PS4 backwards compatibility on PS5 will be more native than PS1 backwards compatibility on PS2. They literally got no excuses this time around.

Though I gotta ask all you. Whats the reason the Xbone can play OG Xbox games but the PS4 can't play PS2 games?
    It's not greed. If it were greed, you'd be seeing more and more PS1 and PS2 games get released on PS4 digitally. You think it's that simple to get 1500 games to work on a modern system? Or 3000 plus games that PS2 had? There's computer games that can only work on a specific operating system due to the hardware they had to use back then.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

There isn't any except greed. You can use the excuse that each PS2 game needs to be tweaked for the emulator, but that only floats if it's a homebrew one done by hobbyists, not a multibillion dollar company with the resources and source code. The only thing Sony adds to their digital PS2 games on PS4 that needs tweaking is adding achievements.

EDIT: The OG Xbox is also a lot harder to emulate, and yet, MS managed to pull that off. No excuse for Sony.

It's not greed. If it were greed, you'd be seeing more and more PS1 and PS2 games get released on PS4 digitally. You think it's that simple to get 1500 games to work on a modern system? Or 3000 plus games that PS2 had? There's computer games that can only work on a specific operating system due to the hardware they had to use back then.
    My computer, which is less powerful than a PS4, can play almost every PS2 game by literally putting the PS2 disc in the DVD tray. They can easily create a PS2 emulator on PS4 that plays 90% of PS2 games. The only reason they aren't doing this is because they are top dog and can get away with selling you the games on PSN instead.

I gotta ask you, is it just a coincidence that Sony hasn't attempted backwards compatibility in any form whatsoever since the early PS3 days?

Modders have found out that PSN PS2 games all use the same emulator, an emulator isn't specifically created for each game:

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

JP: November 22, 1994.

25th Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Sega Saturn packaging was the best in Japan - that gold box art.

The company will weight the benefits (will people purchase it, will they use it, etc..,) of adding such a feature. If the cost benefits point in the right direction it will be added. Nintendo, as an example, most likely had a design in mind which would have been upended by adding disc support. That's not necessarily greed as it is being sensible in terms of whether or not consumers would spend the money on added cost for an added feature. The answer to your last question is simple: MS thought it would be an ace which would help the struggling X1. The thing is taking it both ways from Sony and Nintendo.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

YES! Ikaruga Physical release confirmed for Switch/PS4!
    https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1197937829730537472

Maybe I can finally own this game

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information