Quantcast

Page 2179 of 2185 FirstFirst ... 11791679207921292169217521762177217821792180218121822183 ... LastLast
Results 32,671 to 32,685 of 32768

Thread: "state something completely random time!"

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Doom 64 fucking rocks! Just wanted to share that.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I just started playing it for the first time ever. It's fine. Its level design is a mess at times. Tho it is nice to go back to these 90s FPS games. Simple and fun. Good pick up and play.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I just started playing it for the first time ever. It's fine. Its level design is a mess at times. Tho it is nice to go back to these 90s FPS games. Simple and fun. Good pick up and play.
    I actually think it's up there with the original Doom and Doom II for both gameplay and atmosphere, and that's extremely high praise coming from me cos I regard the first two Doom games as masterpieces. I have no idea why this didn't get the credit it deserved back on the N64. The only thing I can think of is that it maybe got pushed aside and forgotten due to all the hype for Goldeneye.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I also dig Doom 64, picked it up on steam a while back. I still prefer Doom 1 and 2, but it is definitely a solid title. And something that I find is missing from most modern fps games is the puzzle solving and maze level design. I'm not saying Doom 64 is stellar at this, but it's there. And Duke 3D excels at it. I find that having to keep your head on a swivel and blast bad guys while also utilizing another part of your brain to solve puzzles and navigate a labyrinth is what keeps me coming back to the 90s FPS games. I will say that the 2016 Doom brought back this component to the gameplay and I loved it. Still need to check out Eternal.

Yeah came out in 1997. Banner year for N64 FPS games. Goldeneye. Turok. Doom 64. Duke Nukem 64. I think Turok had more hype then than Doom. At least going with friends at school. Nonstop talks about it. Sure enough, I fell in love with those first 2 Turok games.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I have no idea why this didn't get the credit it deserved back on the N64.
    Because it came out when Quake II was already a thing, DOOM64 would have done better around.. 1995. but N64 wasn't out yet.
    maybe it should have been a PC release, might have done better on there.

ACHTUNG! MD angeschaltet! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One eukara's Avatar

Doom64 always was a bit out of place and quite a disappointment on the N64 to me for a few reasons (at the time, I have NOT played the re-release):
    1) No innovations - harsh but true. This was not a port but an opportunity for something fresh. Duke3D was really hot at the time and teased environment interactions everyone was inspired by, Doom64 did nothing new. I feel for the team because they originally wanted to do something more ambitious under the title 'The Absolution'.
    2) No multiplayer whatsoever. There was no cooperative (those 3 extra controller ports were looking lonely) no deathmatch mode either. Supposedly either due to cartridge space. I can't get behind that theory because the original just played DM on the SP maps. No idea what would have cost extra cart-space. Code is cheap, just not assets. Allegedly there was a dislike for split screen DM in the team - but again that would have not affected coop at all. They probably didn't think of it or (most likely) it got rushed.

I can't understate the lack of MP on an N64 game, those never did well at hangouts.

Back then people liked Doom not just because it was fun, but because it really changed the game and set an example in game-engine technology. It's quite easy to see why Doom64 doesn't fit into that. Nowadays a lot of people get into it and revisit the older games without that perspective. Objectively, Doom64 had less content than even Doom II overall (which is kinda sad for a 1997 release, in my opinion anyway) and I think was judged appropriately for the time. In 1995 it would have also competed with another really, really good Doom clone that I think totally kicks its ass: Dark Forces!

I'm sure they've tweaked the re-release though. I remember the original being WAY dark.

Quote Originally Posted by eukara View Post
    Doom64 always was a bit out of place and quite a disappointment on the N64 to me for a few reasons (at the time, I have NOT played the re-release):
    1) No innovations - harsh but true. This was not a port but an opportunity for something fresh. Duke3D was really hot at the time and teased environment interactions everyone was inspired by, Doom64 did nothing new. I feel for the team because they originally wanted to do something more ambitious under the title 'The Absolution'.
    2) No multiplayer whatsoever. There was no cooperative (those 3 extra controller ports were looking lonely) no deathmatch mode either. Supposedly either due to cartridge space. I can't get behind that theory because the original just played DM on the SP maps. No idea what would have cost extra cart-space. Code is cheap, just not assets. Allegedly there was a dislike for split screen DM in the team - but again that would have not affected coop at all. They probably didn't think of it or (most likely) it got rushed.

I can't understate the lack of MP on an N64 game, those never did well at hangouts.

Back then people liked Doom not just because it was fun, but because it really changed the game and set an example in game-engine technology. It's quite easy to see why Doom64 doesn't fit into that. Nowadays a lot of people get into it and revisit the older games without that perspective. Objectively, Doom64 had less content than even Doom II overall (which is kinda sad for a 1997 release, in my opinion anyway) and I think was judged appropriately for the time. In 1995 it would have also competed with another really, really good Doom clone that I think totally kicks its ass: Dark Forces!

I'm sure they've tweaked the re-release though. I remember the original being WAY dark.
    As a single player experience, which is personally how I always enjoy my FPS, Doom 64 is superb and has atmosphere by the shovel load. I've been hooked on it for the past three days now and have to finish it. I haven't felt that way about a game for quite awhile. I can't speak for the differences between the original N64 release and this superb re-release by Night Dive Studios, because I never got the chance to play Doom 64 back in the day (I literally didn't know a single person who owned a N64!). Perhaps back in '97 the lack of multiplayer put people off, or maybe people didn't think the graphics represented a big enough leap forward, but the irony is that I would argue that out of all the big name FPS that came out that year on the N64, Doom 64 is the one that has aged the least in terms of how it looks and plays. The likes of Goldeneye and Turok now suffer from that badly aged early 3D rendering, which looked impressive at the time, but looks very old hat now. Doom 64, alongside the original Doom games, does not have that problem as they were essentially 2D games using graphical trickery to present a 3D world. The graphics look clean, crisp and smooth. The gameplay has not aged at all either, it's classic Doom through and through. Solve puzzles, blast demons and survive long enough to find the exit. Some game concepts never get old and, for me at least, Doom is a perfect example of a timeless game.

I agree, Doom is great. I have a over a decade old UV-burned poster hanging right above my head, too. Just wanted to provide my perspective as to why the game never appealed to me when I had the chance to play it. I see it time and time again that new players to some older games bring a new perspective and sometimes appreciation to games like that. Which is fantastic, because you're enjoying something others possibly couldn't back then.
    That said, I do want to add that Doom64 has gotten the reputation in some parts of the Doom community as 'the real Doom 3' - a term I personally disagree with. There's been plenty of praise by people who simply want more Doom, more of the same. I don't think it is justified for the non Doom lover.

Quote Originally Posted by eukara View Post
    I agree, Doom is great. I have a over a decade old UV-burned poster hanging right above my head, too. Just wanted to provide my perspective as to why the game never appealed to me when I had the chance to play it. I see it time and time again that new players to some older games bring a new perspective and sometimes appreciation to games like that. Which is fantastic, because you're enjoying something others possibly couldn't back then.
    That said, I do want to add that Doom64 has gotten the reputation in some parts of the Doom community as 'the real Doom 3' - a term I personally disagree with. There's been plenty of praise by people who simply want more Doom, more of the same. I don't think it is justified for the non Doom lover.
    Ah you raise an excellent point, very well made. I admit that I'm one of those old school fans who just wants more Doom, more of the same, and when I get it, like for example with this re-release of Doom 64, I'm more than happy. I completely agree that more of the same does nothing to bring new fans into the fold and that, unless you're already a big Doom fan going in, games like Doom 64 will not convert you. The real Doom 3 tried to go in a different direction, and while I respect that and regard it as a very good survival horror game in it's own right, it just ain't Doom and didn't play like Doom. This is why Doom (2016) is so highly regarded, it's the fast blasting visceral gameplay of classic Doom brought into the 21st century.

It's certainly quiet around the forum lately. I hope everyone is alright.

Weather is unbearable where I live right now. Can't wait for summer to end.

How Burning Rangers would look on Dreamcast. Fanmade made in Unity
    https://twitter.com/andreasscholl09/...78565123248128

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It's certainly quiet around the forum lately. I hope everyone is alright.
    I'm alright, but the heat is killing me. apparently we're gonna get at least two more days of that so.. maybe Friday I'll be able to function again.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 08-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Thread Information