Quantcast

Page 2236 of 2240 FirstFirst ... 12361736213621862226223222332234223522362237223822392240 LastLast
Results 33,526 to 33,540 of 33596

Thread: "state something completely random time!"

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Fuck stadia!
    Google killed it. Ends in January.

This aged well

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Ferrari F355 Challenge is the worst racing game Sega made. I fricking hate it. Dreamcast or PS2, it fucking sucks. It controls horribly, and is punishingly unforgiving. As in even after going through the training, and putting in the time to damn near master the slipstream and power slide maneuvers, you can still wreck your race by barely grazing the surface just off the track with one wheel. There is zero room for any mistake, no matter how slight and benign. It's ridiculous.

All right, so excruciating controls and gameplay aside, it looks great and sounds awesome like Sega's other racers, right? Right? Fuck no, it doesn't. It looks like crap with the blandest, emptiest backgrounds I've seen from Sega. You'd think that was on purpose to get the game to perform better, but no, there's still flickering and shimmering issues throughout. And don't get me started on the sound. Oh, my freaking gosh, just eff my ear canals with a chainsaw why don't you. It's an 80s hair metal reject doing his best David Lee Roth impression just belting it out throughout. And God help you if you're not perfect and have to play through the same race more than once, because Outrun this is not. There's no way to change the music, you're stuck listening to this asshat. It's absolute punishment.

What the hell, AM2? Why do you hate us so much? They seriously said, "no, we don't need to port Daytona 2 to consoles. The first game was way too successful, so we should give our loyal fans this steaming pile of shit instead." I'm glad this was the last racing game that Suzuki ever directed and that he decided to let Shenmue take over his life instead. As brilliant as many of his earlier racers were, this game should be cast into the depths of Hell.

It's the the CGR seal of approval, so it's on my radar to pick up. Looks pretty good to me.

Does anyone know a fix for getting the "yellow" light on a PS4 controller? Apparently that means that it's not recognized. Got it to work once by pressing the PS button rapidly, but it's doing it again. The hell happened to this thing? It used to work flawlessly every time. Why does this stuff just break on it's own?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    It's the the CGR seal of approval, so it's on my radar to pick up. Looks pretty good to me.

Does anyone know a fix for getting the "yellow" light on a PS4 controller? Apparently that means that it's not recognized. Got it to work once by pressing the PS button rapidly, but it's doing it again. The hell happened to this thing? It used to work flawlessly every time. Why does this stuff just break on it's own?
    Turn on PS4
    Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
    Select your DualShock 4.
    Select “Forget Device”.
    Power off your PS4.
    Plug the DualShock 4 into your PS4’s USB port.
    Turn PS4 On
    Press the PS button.

Also worth trying other USB cables

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Ferrari F355 Challenge is the worst racing game Sega made. I fricking hate it. Dreamcast or PS2, it fucking sucks. It controls horribly, and is punishingly unforgiving. As in even after going through the training, and putting in the time to damn near master the slipstream and power slide maneuvers, you can still wreck your race by barely grazing the surface just off the track with one wheel. There is zero room for any mistake, no matter how slight and benign. It's ridiculous.

All right, so excruciating controls and gameplay aside, it looks great and sounds awesome like Sega's other racers, right? Right? Fuck no, it doesn't. It looks like crap with the blandest, emptiest backgrounds I've seen from Sega. You'd think that was on purpose to get the game to perform better, but no, there's still flickering and shimmering issues throughout. And don't get me started on the sound. Oh, my freaking gosh, just eff my ear canals with a chainsaw why don't you. It's an 80s hair metal reject doing his best David Lee Roth impression just belting it out throughout. And God help you if you're not perfect and have to play through the same race more than once, because Outrun this is not. There's no way to change the music, you're stuck listening to this asshat. It's absolute punishment.

What the hell, AM2? Why do you hate us so much? They seriously said, "no, we don't need to port Daytona 2 to consoles. The first game was way too successful, so we should give our loyal fans this steaming pile of shit instead." I'm glad this was the last racing game that Suzuki ever directed and that he decided to let Shenmue take over his life instead. As brilliant as many of his earlier racers were, this game should be cast into the depths of Hell.
    I'm sorry Suzuki-san but I agree. It's so ridiculously unforgiving, I'd venture it's easier to drive an actual F355 than the sim. Yu's bizarre hardcoded mix tape he probably listened to every day while commuting doesn't help.

The PS2 version is damn near impossible because the gas and brake controls are not analog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Turn on PS4
    Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
    Select your DualShock 4.
    Select “Forget Device”.
    Power off your PS4.
    Plug the DualShock 4 into your PS4’s USB port.
    Turn PS4 On
    Press the PS button.

Also worth trying other USB cables
    I tried basically that same settings, except it said "disconnect" rather than "forget device". It came back a bit later, and still same issue. Even when it works, it doesn't work. It presses buttons by itself and some buttons don't even work. I think I just fully bricked it a minute ago. I tried changing settings from USB to Bluetooth, now it doesn't even stay yellow when I plug it just goes immediately off and can't get it to do a damn thing.

I haven't tried a different cable yet, but I suspect that the battery is fucked. Cuz like, I doesn't do ANYTHING when it's not plugged in, no buttons, no lights, no holding down button combos. No signs of life, and it was left plugged in for a while now so it should have juice. Makes me think it's not simply a connection issue, it doesn't seem to have power at all on it's own. Unless the connection issue is somehow preventing it from getting a charge, which would be an odd problem. Could be the case, when I had it syncing it was staying on without any cable plugged in like normal. The second I reboot the system and it's just brick without the cable. So fucking weird.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 10-02-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Ooh, an original episode. Love seeing Dave. They're playing the DC version, so perhaps that one is better than the PS2. While I played the DC version years ago, I don't really recall much about it. I'm sure I didn't enjoy it much, but it didn't leave a big impression on me one way or the other. I recently bought the PS2 version and put a lot of frustrating time into it. It's worth noting that looking over the wikipedia page, several reviewers gave the DC version better scores than the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I'm sorry Suzuki-san but I agree. It's so ridiculously unforgiving, I'd venture it's easier to drive an actual F355 than the sim. Yu's bizarre hardcoded mix tape he probably listened to every day while commuting doesn't help.

The PS2 version is damn near impossible because the gas and brake controls are not analog too.
    This may be the biggest source of frustration.

It's worth noting that looking over the wikipedia page, several reviewers gave the DC version better scores than the PS2.
    I have both and they're identical. The only changes IIRC on PS2 are some texture downgrades, added effects like shadows and tire smoke, little less slowdown, and the aforementioned loss of analog gas/brake controls. I think I recall that the PS2 version gained support for the PS2 official wheel, which did have analog gas/brake.

Okay, WTF. I know by all accounts that Hi-Octane on Saturn is considered a bad game, fair enough, but I wish that I'd known it was also a BROKEN game! I go to start the game and only the top half of the menu screen renders, then I just try to start a race anyway and the game freezes. Power the system off and back on and... same?! Quality assurance team = non-existent. This is Bullfrog shit. You can't even play it! At least Big Rigs was a functional experience.

Because I live in most sub-par area of the US that you could probably imagine having the misfortune of living at, I recently experienced what was without any doubt the shittiest attempt at an arcade grand opening, on the planet. So I remember as a kid, this mall had a decent sized arcade once upon a time. Think it's been closed for the better part of 20 years now? So some local schmuck gets the idea of opening up an arcade in this dying mall, and it's "coming soon" for like 6 months. Then one day, it's just... kinda open? Holy crap, this thing is pathetic.

Firstly, the store footprint that he opened up in is like an 18x90, so it's like narrow hallway almost. For any real arcade, this would never work spatially. So you walk in, there's a counter with an empty nacho warmer, empty popcorn machine, and drink machine. No one actually manning the counter, or anywhere to be seen in the place. There's like, no ticket system, no coins, no trinkets or prizes. There are a handful of awful attempts at video game characters drawn awkwardly on one small section of the wall, while the entire rest of the store is just blank. No graphics, no colors, no style whatsoever. Just an LED strip running along the edges of the walls. ALL the arcade machines from one end to the other, are just these shitty miniature 4 ft home-made cabinets, made of press-board with crappy LCD screens running fucking EMULATORS. They don't even have any graphics or marquees of any sort, they're all just blank white little cabinets. The screens are tiny, look like Vaseline is smeared across them, and the games are running like you'd expect a shitty Chinese clone console would run a retro game. It all comes together making this horrendous collage of sounds. No pinball machines, no other types of games or machines to speak of....

Nobody is in there, not the owner, no employees, nobody dares to go in there. It's so half-assed and shitty, there's negative curiosity. People are scared of it. It's like a museum piece of epic failure, though he obviously spent a pretty penny to get a nice lighted sign on his store front, which ironically looks really legit. Shame that the actual "arcade" is like a practical joke. Nobody will ever spend more than a minute and thirty seconds of sheer confusion and brief terror in that place.

It would have been better had he just set up some CRTs and some retro consoles in there, instead. As it is, it feels like a con job. I searched up some images for "worst arcade ever" and I swear, nobody can touch this place for that title.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 10-04-2022 at 07:33 PM.

No photos?

empty nacho warmer, empty popcorn machine, and drink machine
    That's the true crime.

It's gotten to the point that games are trying to emulate the arcade experience of years past.

In order for a retro arcade being successful it needs to mimic the feel and the sounds of a 70's or 80's establishment rather than being a half-assed attempt.

No photos?

Awesome set-up, huh? Fun is clearly in the air, the public cannot get enough.

There actually are two real cabinets there, but the rifle shooting one was out of order. So really, just one.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 10-05-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Master of Shinobi

It's gotten to the point that games are trying to emulate the arcade experience of years past.

That game actually looks really fun. Going to have to check that out.

Awesome set-up, huh? Fun is clearly in the air, the public cannot get enough.

There actually are two real cabinets there, but the rifle shooting one was out of order. So really, just one.
    Well you were right about the sign. That's the only cool thing about it.
    If I'm going to an arcade these days it's only for the social experience.
    It's better when a venue has a bar/restaurant, or stuff where you can compete against friends like the basketball arcade machines or mini golf or something. In that small space it's definitely a challenge but putting in a few old consoles and CRTs along with couches for people to sit on could have made it look a lot better.

I'm not going to the mall the play games I already have at home, plus those cabs make me think they are probably running pirated copies of the games.
    I don't even care if someone pirates old games for personal use but doing it as part of a business is super unethical.

Arcades are about finished in my area anyway. Last two I went to in 2021, at one place an employee told me to put on a mask, at the other there was a big "no guns" sign on the door. I guess they don't want me as a customer?

Well, fake cabs aside, I remember being in plenty of dark, dingy arcades in the 80s/early 90s. Especially the ones in strip malls. Filthy, full of smoke, sticky floors. Sure, there were some that were kept up well, usually the mall chains like Red Barron, but most arcades didn't exactly have very good reputations. They were known as hangouts for punks and greasers. There was always thick cigarette smoke, guys often had beer in paper sacks, and it wasn't uncommon for fights to break out. Seriously, there was usually a gang of bullies hanging around, shaking kids down for quarters, tilting guys' pinball games, etc. Most arcades back then were like Lord of the Flies, where teen thugs ruled. You just had to deal with it. I had a lot of big jock buddies though, so I was usually left alone, but I definitely saw my share of kids getting shaken down for cash. This was commonplace.

But honestly, arcade cabs were everywhere, so you didn't really need to go to an arcade to play games. Carryouts, restaurants, laundromats, bowling alleys, all the movie theaters, from the big cineplex to the rinky dink ones with 2nd run dollar movies. So while sure, I enjoyed going to the arcade, heck there was one in town that I often rode my bike to that wasn't too bad, I'm full able of removing my nostalgia glasses and recalling that they weren't exactly children's wonderlands.

So trip down memory lane complete, I wonder if that fella will make enough each month to afford rent and electricity for that place. I'd imagine the mall has decent rates since it isn't a very popular one, but still. It probably won't last very long. It looks like he's set the cabs up with arcade 1up marquees. So those are better than nothing at least. But yeah, kind of a janky look to everything.

Thread Information