Quantcast

Thread: Sonic CD, Yay, or Nay, or just Vay!

Default Sonic CD, Yay, or Nay, or just Vay!

Sonic CD

like it?

Don't like it?

or would you just rather talk about Vay (a game I know nothing about)?

I love it, but not more then the Genesis Sonic games!

I bought both of these off ebay recently.

Sonic cd is awesome like every other Sonic game.

I played the first dungeon of Vay to try it out and I think it is really great. I have heard the random battles can drive you insane. I found the music to be nice and the graphics similar to perhaps Final Fantasy 3. The battle system is more like Phantasy Star where you see your characters from behnd facing the enemies. I'm looking forward to finishing it after I finish a few games I am working on.

Nameless One

Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic Game, period.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Sonic CD is pretty good, and I've never spent too much time with VAY. Seems decent tho.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Vay's merciless random battles sap away a lot of its potential for greatness, but it's still a solid RPG.

Sonic CD is awesome, although the levels can get a bit too big for my tastes. It's quite easy to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Vay's merciless random battles sap away a lot of its potential for greatness, but it's still a solid RPG.

Sonic CD is awesome, although the levels can get a bit too big for my tastes. It's quite easy to get lost.
    I CONCUR!

Although, the size of the levels in Sonic CD are enjoyable for me... my favorite thing about Sonic CD though is the look of Metal Sonic. ALL TIME FAV.!!!! He just looks so bad ass, and the racing level is just bomb diggity, and the soundtrack really is soooo good (I actually prefer the US version) the future songs are damn amazing. Although there are parts of the levels that just have this feeling like they weren't planned well... like walls being in totally bizarre places. Doesn't seem like anyone went through as meticulousily as they did with say Sonic3 and Knuckles.

That is why S3+K gets my most gameplay and I hold it above 2. The levels are just SO well planned and put together... it all just moves SO smooth. You can really tell they took their time and planned that thing out a lot!

Anyways... back on topic. I love Sonic CD. Vay really irritated me SO much that I just HAD to beat it so I could get it out of the way. Pain stakingly difficult ONLY because of the rediculous amount of random battles. Just freaking ridiculous... what irritated me most though was the pallette swapped enemies! WTF? You have 650MB of space to fill with game data and music... you can't draw a couple extra sprites? how hard could it really freakin' be? NOT HARD AT ALL! What your artists up and quit last minute?

Also, the set up for stores was awful... you had no option to view what you already had, what you were wearing, what the effect of the new weapon was... jeez. I can't tell you how many times I'd walk into a town and go WOW, that has a COOL name, expensive, and I've been using this ol' sword for like 4 dungeons already... this is a sure deal!

cha ching

drop 10 AP... WTF!

Das war der Hammer.

is Vay worth it?

100th post yay!

Wildside Expert

I just got Sonic CD off ebay and am playing through it again. I'd forgotten just how awesome it was. I never played Vay because I heard the battles were insane. I'd like to give it a shot though.

I'd rather talk about Vay.
    weasels you pansy

uh...

I got vay when I bought my first sega cd, it also came with sewer shark and a few other cds. I soon bought sonic cd.

Vay I enjoyed but yes the vast number of random battles annoyed me to no end. There is a simple way to lvl up and thats to beat these jelly creatures that give tons of xp but they are usually faster than you and run away 99% of the time. They give the most xp in the game though (apart from boss battles). Near the end they give 50k i think. I eventually finished the game after having to fix a scratched cd. Luckily the scratch was during one of the cut scenes so I just burned a copy of it ignoring the read errors. The save file was on the sega cd i fixed myself which caused a lot of problems when i had a 32x hooked up. A lot of the colors/sprites and everything would mess up. If you are high enough level for where you are just run from all the battles if you get sick of them.

Sonic CD I havent had much experance with. I have played a bit of it through the first levels. I saw what I liked though.

I guess I may pass on Vay, unless my friend wants to try it out.

Blasphemy. Vay is one of the better games on the console, if you decide to play it after all we may still be able to save your soul. Repent.
    weasels you pansy

uh...

Dont pass up on it. It is a good game, nothing compared to lunar but its fun none the less. So it is not without flaws but it is still fun.

Thread Information