Quantcast

Page 147 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 2216

Thread: General Game Comment Thread. What are YOU Playing Today?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

After the FF7 demo, I thought to add OG FF7 to my wish list on eShop but wanted to wait for a sale. Today was that say. 50% off. I have tried the game before and knew of the major points and I kinda always scoffed. Seeing the hype then seeing the game and thought..eh really? Not to mention I always loved FFIX so much more as it's my fave in the series. That all said. I'm taking a new approach.

I just want to forget all of that. Go into it with the mindset of someone playing it in 1997 as a fan of RPGs. Not compare it to anything. Forget fan hype. Just play it for what it is. I have been turned before on games/series I have had strong opinions on. Maybe this will be the time I really like this game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Dragon Warrior (NES)

I was all in on this one as I have never actually sat down and played it for real. At this point, I have put in countless hours, but still feel as though I haven't leveled up enough to make a serious run at the final castle. I've collected all of the parts I needed, and traded them to an old man for a rainbow bridge which connects to the island the final castle is on.

But I noticed that as soon as I cross over there, the random battles kick my tuchus enough to wear I'm burning through health spells just to stay alive. So I've cooled off on it for now. I want to say I'm level 15 right now, and I think to seriously have a chance to beat the game, my guy will need to be level 20.

And let me tell you, grinding is a major component of this game. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I've had to wander around certain areas to rack up experience points in fights, and to get to level 20, well, that's just daunting at this point. I'm not saying never, but I'm taking a break.

Battletoads (Genesis)

I think this version is superior to the NES game in a lot of areas. I've read many complaints over the years about it looking like an 8-bit game, and being just a mere facelift over the NES game. But I think the game looks pretty good, definitley a big step over the NES game, and if anything, it plays better. The controls are nice and tight. But something that is about the same as the NES version is the legendary difficulty.

I hadn't played the game in years, and man, was I in for a ride awakening. I got to the snake level (6 or 7) when I finally threw in the towel with frustration. Wow. I checked the manual, and there are either 12 or 13 levels, so I still have a heck of a long way to go. I'll be coming back to it, because I think the game is great, and there were earlier levels that had me stumped until I figured out how to get through them, so surely I just need to spend more time on that dang snake level.

Also, one of the big complaints that's in the review thread of this game here on S-16 is that the jump and attack buttons are reversed from the NES version which is A jump, B attack. Well, my copy of the game used C for jump and B for attack which is the same configuration as the NES version. I know that there is a later cardboard variant of this game, but mine is the earlier clamshell release. So perhaps the later variant switched the buttons? I don't know. But I found it odd that so many guys complained about that here.

SimCity 2000 (DOS Box)

For whatever reason, I decided to play some SC2K for the first time in possibly decades. I put so much time into this game on my family PC when I was around 12 or so, but honestly, I can't recall if I've played it since. Well, one thing's for sure. I'm rusty as heck at it.

It took me 3 or 4 tries before I finally made a city that actually made money annually. I basically just ruled like a bastard. Coal power plant, cut police, fire, hospital, education budgets to almost nothing, and added sales tax, income tax and parking fines. And after some lean early years, Holtsville blossomed into a bustling metropolis.

At that point, I upped the budgets and added public services to make the city nicer and encourage growth. Eventually, the Navy set up a base on my ocean front, and wouldn't you know it, within a couple years of that, a massive monster attacked my fair city and sent a good portion of it into chaos and wreckage. Mayor Holt kept a stiff upper lip in those tough times, however, and we rebuilt and are now stronger than ever. And the people gave their mayor a glowing 69% approval rating.

Such a fun game, a real escape and time sinker as well. I had a lot of fun with it yesterday afternoon. My daughters were fascinated by the game, and watched some of the action, so I named a stadium and museum after them. And their mother is naturally the warden of the penitentiary. ;p

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Trials of Mana remake demo, So far this seems pretty darn good. Voice acting is hit and miss tho. Combat feels good. The game looks alright tho nothing impressive. Simple geometry but colorful and clean. Music remixing sounds good. You can turn it to the SNES original if you want. A massive improvement over the horrible Secret of Mana remake. I think demo save data carries over. One minor issue is the difference between items on the ground and lanterns in towns is tricky. I'm not color blind but for those who are that might be an issue.

Kingdom Hearts III

Played Until Dawn on PS4, really liked it. I moved on to the first game in the Dark Pictures Anthology, Man of Medan. Liking it so far

Sakura Wars PS4

Crisis Core.

This game is weird mechanically.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is taking away quite a bit of my Rocket League time. I spend more time playing dress-up than hunting Dark Falz baddies which surprised me. So happy it finally came out in the West. It's much better than I anticipated, especially after PSU failed to grab me.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Was playing Witcher 3, but not being able to keep my hard-won playing cards into NG+ took some of the wind out of my sails. Eh, I already got the good ending in the main campaign and each of the DLC campaigns, so I may just leave it at that. Not touching DooM Eternal until Bethetic gets their act together. Not too keen on playing any of my older games for the time being, be they PC or console, as the novelty has worn off of everything.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Jaguar Doom. This version actually looks and plays really good. The only issue is, no in-game soundtrack. Which is a shame because the songs exist between levels, and the Jaguar renditions are... interesting. Some better than others.

I hadn't fired up the Sega CD in a while, and I recently picked up what appeared to be a nice looking CIB copy of Surgical Strike. But when I went to play it, it kept glitching out during the opening sequence and wouldn't play. The disc has a few very light marks on it, but nothing bad. The disc looks great, so I don't get it. Very disappointing. So, I figured since I had the Sega CD going anyway, I should play something, and saw Jaguar XJ220 sitting there on the shelf. Giddyup.

Man, this is a fun racer, and the music is freaking awesome. Some of it has that early 90s Orbital-esque trance techno sound, and some of it is sort of a jazz-rock-electronic fusion. Love the music. The racing is pretty dang good too, albeit tough. There are many sharp turns which require you to brake hard and/or flutter the accelerator to get through without hitting the wall. This challenge is compounded when you're traversing the curves through traffic. What ticks me off sometimes though is that I have to slow down immensely on some turns while my computer rival goes sailing through it at a much higher speed. Regardless, the game is tons of fun, has a lot of character and excellent music, so it's all right with me. An unheralded gem on the SCD, and one of the better racers of the 16-bit era.

Edit: just ordered a disc only copy of Surgical Strike on ebay for less than 10 bucks shipped. Seller says tested and works. Hopefully the next time I post in this thread, it's about how much fun I had playing it.
    Last edited by profholt82; 06-03-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Maneater

I'm not sure why. Maybe it just looked fun and actually it is kinda fun but it is like playing jaws on Amity Island.

Its no good, I've tried to get into the PC-Engine version of Wonder Boy in Monsterland but my god this frikkin' version of the game frustrates the hell out of me, and it seems by default that means I'd have problems with the original arcade game as well as apparently this port was very accurate to the original.

I always knew that the SMS version had a bigger screen and all, I did not realise they had re-balanced the game to the extent that they had though, the SMS game is a little on the hard side, though not totally unreasonable, but its nothing compared to the PC-Engine version which basically needs to be played perfectly from start to finish as far as I can see.

Can someone comment on the best way to play the first Zelda? I've heard the original cartridge had accompanying documentation that was necessary to being able to finish the game. Is that true?

I don't have an NES. How is the hardware these days?

Thread Information