Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Worlds giving you GAME OVER immediately? Fix inside.

Default Forgotten Worlds giving you GAME OVER immediately? Fix inside.

Forgotten Worlds was programmed back when the Genesis/Mega Drive first came out. The 6-button controller wasn't invented until many years later. So when they programmed Forgotten Worlds, they had no way of testing it with a 6 button controller from the future. Most games work fine, but not Forgotten Worlds. Instead it will give you the Game Over screen when you start the game which really insults your skills. Switching the difficulty to EASY won't make the Game Over screen appear any later.

However there is a simple fix that will make YOUR copy of Forgotten Worlds work perfectly. There are two ways to accomplish this and I have detailed both methods in this FAQ.

Method #1 - Use a 3 button controller. Forgotten Worlds was designed for this and won't spaz out.

Method # 2 - Find the MODE button on your 6-button controller and hold it down before you turn the power on to your Genesis/Mega Drive. While still holding it down, turn your Genesis/Mega Drive on. At any time after the Genesis/Mega Drive is fully on (LED on the system is lit, etc), let go of the MODE button. Forgotten Worlds now works fine and won't go into retard mode. Why is this? It's because the MODE button switches a 6-button controller to 3-button mode if it is held down when power is first applied. Many games need this.

Other games that require a 3-button controller or the MODE button method:

Ms. Pac Man
    Beast Wrestler
    Sunset Riders
    Golden Axe 2
    Exile
    John Madden Football

More to come as I remember them. I think maybe Road Rash needs it, too.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-16-2008 at 04:43 AM.

We need a sticky for games that conflict with 6-button mode. Add on Sunset Riders.

Road Rasher

Add Golden Axe 2 to the list. Another World is incompatible too, apparently, but I've never had a problem with using 6-button controllers with my copy.

Keep posting games you have confirmed require a 3 button controller to work properly and I'll update the first post and eventually make another thread with the list... or something.

Some games may seem to work OK with a 6-button controller, but they'll be a bit goofy when you're trying to enter your name or select something from a menu. It's like the onscreen cursor advances further than you want it to or moves too fast. If this is the case, try 3 button mode and see if it improves. If it does, list that game here, please.

I didn't list Another World because #1) I've never even heard of it and #2) it doesn't seem confirmed if you have no probs.

Another World = Out of This World.

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

I've never had said problem with Out of This World and a 6 button controller...

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

I have Sunset Riders, it works fine with the 6-button controller... is there some minor issue I haven't noticed?

Golden Axe II does need you to hold the M button for the controls to work properly, though. Without holding M the controls are pretty much completely broken.

Thanks for the tip, bin trying to clean the Forgotten Worlds cartridge a couple of times to manny, thought the game was broken forever.
    now i don't have to get a new copy after all ^o^

i also played sunset riders with a 6-button controller without any problems at all. i didn't have any problems playing exile either, and beat the game without a hiccup. are these problems relevant only to model 1 systems?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I bought several copies of FW over the years until I figured this out on my own. Although at least one cart really was broken.

I still sometimes forget and get pissed when the "game over" screen appears. Then I remember.

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

On the opposite note, I think Jurassic Park Rampage edition is incompatible with the 3 button controller. Whenever I use a 3 button on Ramage the game "pauses" every time I press A B or C and it has been this way with every copy of the cartridge I've had...

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Ive never understood why in Mortal kombat 2 for the 32x the default controls are set to the activator when you start it up. You have to switch it to 6 button mode. Its madness.

I used to be scared as hell of the "Forgotten Worlds" "Game Over" screen. It's that scary-sounding, completely FM synth music.

Default FORGOTTEN WORLDS

It's strange but a friend and I just played Forgotten Worlds 2-player a couple of weeks ago with him being player one and using an official Sega 6 button controller [old style] and me using a 3 button controller. Never had to touch the mode button.

Thread Information