Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Head

Road Rasher

Sorry to bring up an old topic... I've been trying to play through this monster and am up to Stage 2 Mission 3. Anyone know how many stages total are in this? Not sure if it's worth continuing. I'd like to beat it, but the levels and objectives are a bit confusing.
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

I could never beat this game, it was much too hard, I think I made it to the third stage before the game really started to own me. It's not too bad when given what the 32X was capable of, but I much prefered titles like Shadow Squadron when it came to playing games that could show of the 32X's power.

For those who are curious, T-Mek is just as hard for me, though I'd say I enjoyed T-Mek a little more.

There are six stages, with each stage having 2 sections, and a boss fight. I've beaten it, and while it's not a shining example of the 32X library, I'd hardly say it deserves a 2. The graphics are good for the 32X, but the game's hampered by a rough frame rate, jerky and stiff animation, and nasty pop up. The music is actually pretty nice, and the controls aren't nearly as problematic as the reviewer states them to be. It's the frame rate that makes thing harder, mostly when you're holding down the speed button to chase down an enemy (it's hard to make only minor aim adjustments when speeding).

The controls are quite simple. A= strafe, B= fire, C= speed, X= left side view, Y= weapon switch, Z= right side view. All your main buttons are right next to, or right above, your thumb. If you hold down X+Z together, you get an overhead view. However, the X/Z thing isn't needed, as you can just hold up or down, and then hit start to switch between four different views (normal, waist camera, behind the Mech, bird's eye).

Is it a great game? No. It has too many rough spots to be that. Is it a good game? Close, but not quite. I'd give it about a 6.5. It can be fun once you get the hang of it, but the frame rate, pop up, and animation really hinder it.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

6.5 is a little steep, IMO. If you look at the Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.php), there is an explanation for each number, and 6.5 puts it above average.

It's not an average game. It would take thought, but I would either score it as a 4 and explain why I did or even explain what the 4 means in the manifest, or give it a 5.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    6.5 is a little steep, IMO. If you look at the Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.php), there is an explanation for each number, and 6.5 puts it above average.

It's not an average game. It would take thought, but I would either score it as a 4 and explain why I did or even explain what the 4 means in the manifest, or give it a 5.
    A "5" is what I would give it as well, I thought it was pretty fun, but the gameplay was pretty sluggish for what I expected. I'd say Gungriffon for the Sega Saturn was a great example of how to do these type of games (for consoles).

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post

I've read that page before, and I understand what each score means. On the scale, my 6.5 would be rounded down to a 6... a score I stand by. It is a decent game, despite it's graphical issues, that's worth while if you can find it cheap. It's no MechWarrior 2 (console version) or Gun Griffon, but the graphics themselves, the challenge level, the audio, and the reasonably well laid out control scheme on a six button controller do the game enough justice to help overcome some (key word there) of the issues, and thus, bring it just above average in my opinion. To be honest, the issue that bugs me the most is the "turning while speeding" issue I mentioned, and that makes up more of the deduction than the frame rate (which isn't as bad as I remembered now that I've played it again), the pop up, or the jerky animation.

Done:

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I've read that page before, and I understand what each score means. On the scale, my 6.5 would be rounded down to a 6... a score I stand by. It is a decent game, despite it's graphical issues, that's worth while if you can find it cheap. It's no MechWarrior 2 (console version) or Gun Griffon, but the graphics themselves, the challenge level, the audio, and the reasonably well laid out control scheme on a six button controller do the game enough justice to help overcome some (key word there) of the issues (and thus, bring it just above average). To be honest, the issue that bugs me the most is the "turning while speeding" issue I mentioned.
    I know this is bizarre to bring up, but the way the mech controls in Metal Head sort of reminded me of the machine you pilot in Kileak: The DNA Imperative for the PS1 (or was it the sequel Epidemic?).

I don't think it's a bad game though, don't get me wrong there, but I do feel there are better games out there. I would like to get back to Metal Head and beat it, alongside Star Wars Arcade.

The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.

And just so you guys know, I wasn't intending to sound confrontational in defense of my 6-ish score. I realize it comes across as such a bit looking back at it, but it wasn't intended to be

Done:

The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.

And just so you guys know, I wasn't intending to sound confrontational in defense of my 6-ish score. I realize it comes across as such a bit looking back at it, but it wasn't intended to be
    That's a good strategy, I'll remember to keep that in mind!

Precisely the way I play it. Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7! I think the score people give directly reflects how well they adapted to the strategy needed to advance in the game.

Metal Head is at or near the top of my list of favorite 32X games. Sorry if others disagree, but there's no accounting for taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Precisely the way I play it. Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7! I think the score people give directly reflects how well they adapted to the strategy needed to advance in the game.

Metal Head is at or near the top of my list of favorite 32X games. Sorry if others disagree, but there's no accounting for taste.
    Nothing wrong with that, I know I felt bad for slamming Cobra Command for the Sega CD and finding out there's people that loved that game. I don't mind the tastes of others, I do try to enjoy games that I paid the money for, and luckily, I only paid $6 for Metal Head, so investing my time in it doesn't feel like such a hassle.

For the record though, this list is the most I've ever paid for video games:

1. Towers II - Atari Jaguar $200
    2. Radiant Silvergun - Sega Saturn $170
    3. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Sega Saturn $160
    4. Keio Flying Squadron - Sega CD $130
    5. Snatcher - Sega CD $91
    6. The Space Adventure - Sega CD $90

Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7!
    Oh I wasn't apologizing for my score. I was apologizing for the less than friendly sounding start to my response to The Sports Guy's comments.

Again, sorry about that TSG. It really wasn't meant in the snotty way it comes across.

Done:

Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    For the record though, this list is the most I've ever paid for video games:

1. Towers II - Atari Jaguar $200
    2. Radiant Silvergun - Sega Saturn $170
    3. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Sega Saturn $160
    4. Keio Flying Squadron - Sega CD $130
    5. Snatcher - Sega CD $91
    6. The Space Adventure - Sega CD $90
    Wow! I've never paid more than $50 for a game.

I've gotten most of my "retro" games at close-out sales and the like, so I figure I've paid an average of $5 a game for 90% of my libraries. I even got the 32X version of Night Trap on sale for $3. I paid $2 each for all but one of my SEGA CDs. My 32X carts range from $7 for Zaxxon to $40 for the more mainstream titles I bought when I first got my 32X, like Doom and Metal Head. I don't think I have anything particularly rare, though.

Road Rasher

Thanks! I'll have to recheck the manual and utilize all 6 buttons during play

The first couple times I played Metal Head I hated it. The first 3 missions feature the most boring levels and the least amount of variety. I was surprised as I played on how cool the levels got. Additionally, without the speed button, the game is terrible slow and boring.

Anyway, nice to see some discussion on this often forgetting game!
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by kgenthe View Post
    Additionally, without the speed button, the game is terrible slow and boring.
    Yes, so use that button as much as humanly possible.

Thread Information