Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: Metal Head

  1. #16
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Sorry to bring up an old topic... I've been trying to play through this monster and am up to Stage 2 Mission 3. Anyone know how many stages total are in this? Not sure if it's worth continuing. I'd like to beat it, but the levels and objectives are a bit confusing.
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

  2. #17
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I could never beat this game, it was much too hard, I think I made it to the third stage before the game really started to own me. It's not too bad when given what the 32X was capable of, but I much prefered titles like Shadow Squadron when it came to playing games that could show of the 32X's power.

    For those who are curious, T-Mek is just as hard for me, though I'd say I enjoyed T-Mek a little more.

  3. #18
    The Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outskirts of B.F.E.
    Posts
    4,080
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    There are six stages, with each stage having 2 sections, and a boss fight. I've beaten it, and while it's not a shining example of the 32X library, I'd hardly say it deserves a 2. The graphics are good for the 32X, but the game's hampered by a rough frame rate, jerky and stiff animation, and nasty pop up. The music is actually pretty nice, and the controls aren't nearly as problematic as the reviewer states them to be. It's the frame rate that makes thing harder, mostly when you're holding down the speed button to chase down an enemy (it's hard to make only minor aim adjustments when speeding).

    The controls are quite simple. A= strafe, B= fire, C= speed, X= left side view, Y= weapon switch, Z= right side view. All your main buttons are right next to, or right above, your thumb. If you hold down X+Z together, you get an overhead view. However, the X/Z thing isn't needed, as you can just hold up or down, and then hit start to switch between four different views (normal, waist camera, behind the Mech, bird's eye).

    Is it a great game? No. It has too many rough spots to be that. Is it a good game? Close, but not quite. I'd give it about a 6.5. It can be fun once you get the hang of it, but the frame rate, pop up, and animation really hinder it.


    Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

  4. #19
    ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Muskegon, MI
    Posts
    1,518
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    6.5 is a little steep, IMO. If you look at the Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.php), there is an explanation for each number, and 6.5 puts it above average.

    It's not an average game. It would take thought, but I would either score it as a 4 and explain why I did or even explain what the 4 means in the manifest, or give it a 5.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

    Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

  5. #20
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    6.5 is a little steep, IMO. If you look at the Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.php), there is an explanation for each number, and 6.5 puts it above average.

    It's not an average game. It would take thought, but I would either score it as a 4 and explain why I did or even explain what the 4 means in the manifest, or give it a 5.
    A "5" is what I would give it as well, I thought it was pretty fun, but the gameplay was pretty sluggish for what I expected. I'd say Gungriffon for the Sega Saturn was a great example of how to do these type of games (for consoles).

  6. #21
    The Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outskirts of B.F.E.
    Posts
    4,080
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    6.5 is a little steep, IMO. If you look at the Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.php), there is an explanation for each number, and 6.5 puts it above average.

    It's not an average game. It would take thought, but I would either score it as a 4 and explain why I did or even explain what the 4 means in the manifest, or give it a 5.
    I've read that page before, and I understand what each score means. On the scale, my 6.5 would be rounded down to a 6... a score I stand by. It is a decent game, despite it's graphical issues, that's worth while if you can find it cheap. It's no MechWarrior 2 (console version) or Gun Griffon, but the graphics themselves, the challenge level, the audio, and the reasonably well laid out control scheme on a six button controller do the game enough justice to help overcome some (key word there) of the issues, and thus, bring it just above average in my opinion. To be honest, the issue that bugs me the most is the "turning while speeding" issue I mentioned, and that makes up more of the deduction than the frame rate (which isn't as bad as I remembered now that I've played it again), the pop up, or the jerky animation.


    Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

  7. #22
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I've read that page before, and I understand what each score means. On the scale, my 6.5 would be rounded down to a 6... a score I stand by. It is a decent game, despite it's graphical issues, that's worth while if you can find it cheap. It's no MechWarrior 2 (console version) or Gun Griffon, but the graphics themselves, the challenge level, the audio, and the reasonably well laid out control scheme on a six button controller do the game enough justice to help overcome some (key word there) of the issues (and thus, bring it just above average). To be honest, the issue that bugs me the most is the "turning while speeding" issue I mentioned.
    I know this is bizarre to bring up, but the way the mech controls in Metal Head sort of reminded me of the machine you pilot in Kileak: The DNA Imperative for the PS1 (or was it the sequel Epidemic?).

    I don't think it's a bad game though, don't get me wrong there, but I do feel there are better games out there. I would like to get back to Metal Head and beat it, alongside Star Wars Arcade.

  8. #23
    The Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outskirts of B.F.E.
    Posts
    4,080
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.

    And just so you guys know, I wasn't intending to sound confrontational in defense of my 6-ish score. I realize it comes across as such a bit looking back at it, but it wasn't intended to be


    Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

  9. #24
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.

    And just so you guys know, I wasn't intending to sound confrontational in defense of my 6-ish score. I realize it comes across as such a bit looking back at it, but it wasn't intended to be
    That's a good strategy, I'll remember to keep that in mind!

  10. #25
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.

    And just so you guys know, I wasn't intending to sound confrontational in defense of my 6-ish score. I realize it comes across as such a bit looking back at it, but it wasn't intended to be
    Precisely the way I play it. Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7! I think the score people give directly reflects how well they adapted to the strategy needed to advance in the game.

    Metal Head is at or near the top of my list of favorite 32X games. Sorry if others disagree, but there's no accounting for taste.

  11. #26
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Precisely the way I play it. Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7! I think the score people give directly reflects how well they adapted to the strategy needed to advance in the game.

    Metal Head is at or near the top of my list of favorite 32X games. Sorry if others disagree, but there's no accounting for taste.
    Nothing wrong with that, I know I felt bad for slamming Cobra Command for the Sega CD and finding out there's people that loved that game. I don't mind the tastes of others, I do try to enjoy games that I paid the money for, and luckily, I only paid $6 for Metal Head, so investing my time in it doesn't feel like such a hassle.

    For the record though, this list is the most I've ever paid for video games:

    1. Towers II - Atari Jaguar $200
    2. Radiant Silvergun - Sega Saturn $170
    3. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Sega Saturn $160
    4. Keio Flying Squadron - Sega CD $130
    5. Snatcher - Sega CD $91
    6. The Space Adventure - Sega CD $90

  12. #27
    The Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outskirts of B.F.E.
    Posts
    4,080
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7!
    Oh I wasn't apologizing for my score. I was apologizing for the less than friendly sounding start to my response to The Sports Guy's comments.

    Again, sorry about that TSG. It really wasn't meant in the snotty way it comes across.


    Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

  13. #28
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    For the record though, this list is the most I've ever paid for video games:

    1. Towers II - Atari Jaguar $200
    2. Radiant Silvergun - Sega Saturn $170
    3. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Sega Saturn $160
    4. Keio Flying Squadron - Sega CD $130
    5. Snatcher - Sega CD $91
    6. The Space Adventure - Sega CD $90
    Wow! I've never paid more than $50 for a game.

    I've gotten most of my "retro" games at close-out sales and the like, so I figure I've paid an average of $5 a game for 90% of my libraries. I even got the 32X version of Night Trap on sale for $3. I paid $2 each for all but one of my SEGA CDs. My 32X carts range from $7 for Zaxxon to $40 for the more mainstream titles I bought when I first got my 32X, like Doom and Metal Head. I don't think I have anything particularly rare, though.

  14. #29
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    The key in Metal Head, is to remember the straffing button. Hang back, and use your guns while you dodge side to side as the enemies fire. Also, try and come up behind the enemies by watching their patrol patterns (for the ones that patrol anyway), and use the speed button to race up behind them for the kill. You'll take out a lot of the tougher enemies with ease doing this.
    Thanks! I'll have to recheck the manual and utilize all 6 buttons during play

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Precisely the way I play it. Don't apologize for the 6-ish score - I'd give it a 7! I think the score people give directly reflects how well they adapted to the strategy needed to advance in the game.
    The first couple times I played Metal Head I hated it. The first 3 missions feature the most boring levels and the least amount of variety. I was surprised as I played on how cool the levels got. Additionally, without the speed button, the game is terrible slow and boring.

    Anyway, nice to see some discussion on this often forgetting game!
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

  15. #30
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgenthe View Post
    Additionally, without the speed button, the game is terrible slow and boring.
    Yes, so use that button as much as humanly possible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread of Metal
    By Drixxel in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  2. Games like Metal Slug?
    By Genesis Knight in forum Genesis Does!
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
  3. Reviews Discussion: Patterns & Styles
    By ary incorparated in forum Site & Forum Feedback
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
  4. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
    By Genesis Knight in forum Sonic's Bazaar
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •