Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

Sonic Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

Like ball games? Violence? How about if we combine the two? The Bitmap Bros. did just that with its Speedball series, and Genesis gamers received the second game via Arena. Simple in presentation and gameplay but big on challenge, Brutal Deluxe strived to live up to its namesake despite changes made during the porting process. It's always good to go into a potential purchase informed, so we've lovingly crafted a full review of it with you in mind. Read up and see if this is the violent game of the future for you!
    Last edited by Melf; 09-16-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Very nice review, I'm really into all the futuristic sports games that are out there and I happen to have a copy of Speedball 2 lying around so you've convinced me to give it a shot. Although from your reviews looks like it has quite a few flaws the concept of the game intrigues me.

How does this game compare to Powerball in your opinion?

I havenīt played Powerball much. Personally, I definitely prefer Speedball 2; the gameplay is more gripping and the action more intense in my opinion.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Kinda looks like the Powerball game from the original American Gladiators TV show.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Has anyone played the Xbox Live Arcade version?

Death Adder's minion

I had this on the amiga and it was pretty fun but once your team graduated to the second division it became super hard and i'd pretty much lose after a game or two due to all my players becoming injured. Sports games not based on real sports are pretty rare and this was good violent fun. Don't know how the genesis version was.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vid View Post
    Don't know how the genesis version was.
    You just described it. 2p's amusing for a bit. Would've been fun to see a late Genesis or a Saturn version.

Year of '6502

I've played the Amiga version of Speedball II quite a lot, even ran scientific research on it and once won the German Open Championships. I also own the Megadrive version of the same game but .. sorry, it doesn't cut it for me. Perhaps it is the controllers, I'm a joystick person rather than fiddling with gamepads, but where I find the Amiga version brutal fun, the Megadrive port is merely a painful stab in the side. Possibly I would enjoy it better if I get some kind of stick controller, but I'm not so sure that good Amiga games came out with the same charm on the Megadrive.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

One of my favourite sports games ever and also one of my favourite MD games, I love everything about this game. Great graphics, superb music and brilliant gameplay. 9/10 for me.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Loved Brutal Deluxe back in the day and find myself going back to it to this day. I didn't pick up the 360 version which, sadly is no longer available.

Any fan of the game should try out Deathrow on the original x-box. I always felt it was at the very least a big nod in the direction the The Bitmap Brothers classic if not the spiritual successor.

Great game, Iīve played for hours, very difficult but very fun and addictive.

Its a good version of the game but not as good as the amiga version

Quote Originally Posted by morcar View Post
    Its a good version of the game but not as good as the amiga version
    I agree with this but then again at least at the moment i am unable to think of a game that was better on the MD than the Amiga,because i already owned Speedball 2 on the Amiga i only played the Sega version a few times just to make comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuts View Post
    I agree with this but then again at least at the moment i am unable to think of a game that was better on the MD than the Amiga,because i already owned Speedball 2 on the Amiga i only played the Sega version a few times just to make comparisons.
    Alien 3? Golden Axe?

Also Speedball 2 rulz, shame the MD version lacks the ICE CREAM ICE CREAM sound effect.

Year of '6502

A couple of days ago I played a few rounds of the Amiga version. Today I received an Arcade Power Stick to my MD so I decided to give that version another go.

The first thing I noticed is that the colours are much more washed out, pastel on the Megadrive than the Amiga. Indeed my MD is connected via RF while the Amiga was connected via RGB-Scart. I don't know how advanced the Megadrive palette is, but it struck me Speedball II on the console is like someone splashed water on it and let the sun bleach it a little.

The second thing I noticed is the game appears to play slower than the Amiga version. In particular the first game I played, I won that match 74-8 against the computer, a score I rarely achieve even with my favorite joystick. The second game was tougher, so I lost that one but still the game seems to run a little bit slower. It can make it easier to play, but also less fun even if it doesn't appear sluggish at all.

Of course the sounds and music also differ some. I can't recall the theme music playing in-game on the Amiga version, but I saw there is a configuration setting on the Megadrive version where one probably can switch it on or off during play. In general, the game is a little better (for me) with a decent joystick. Since it mostly uses the A button except in gym mode, I suppose one could connect a regular Atari style joystick to play the game. I've looked at the controller pinouts and how the MD selects different functions so many times I've got cross-eyed and can't recall in which direction compatibility is reasonably safe.
    Anders Carlsson

Thread Information