Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakers vs. Celtics & The NBA Playoffs

Default Lakers vs. Celtics & The NBA Playoffs

The NBA Finals start tonight at 8:30 EST on ABC, and what better way to kick off another meeting between the legendary Lakers and Celtics than with a review of the game that was centered around their rivalry? Electronic set the gaming world on fire with its incredible Lakers vs. Celtics & the NBA Playoffs for MS-DOS, and the Genesis port was the proverbial "bigger, badder, better" in all areas. Take control of Magic and sweep Boston or guide Bird and the Celtics to yet another championship. Heck, why not take Barkely's '76ers and finally give him that ring? The choice is yours, and our full review has all the details on what you need to start these Finals right!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Three points for working in current events for a review selection. While I couldn't care less for these teams then and now, this game is undoubtedly a big reason why the Genesis took off so well in the U.S. I knew lots of people who were floored by the level of detail -- not just in the recognizable faces and jersey numbers, but also the squeaks, sirens, and other authentic sound effects which blew the pants off of Pat Riley Basketball. Really, Pat Riley was just Double Dribble with more colors; Lakers vs. Celtics was such a huge jump forward for sports games -- no 16-bit game really did basketball significantly better than EA did right out the gate with this game.

"Pat Riley Basketball" was one of the most successful. highest-selling pre-Sonic games on the Genesis you ninny!!! At $20 a pop (compared to $50 for "Lakers Vs. Celtics"), this puppy sold like hotcaeks back in 1990!!!

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Great review. I am an NBA fiend

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I think a 7 is about right for this game. It is certainly not a classic, but it is a good game. No NBA game really looked spectacular on the genesis, but I think this one was a fun game.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

NBA Jammer Nameless One ButtonMasher's Avatar

I picked this game up for a buck a few weeks back. I had a feeling the teams may meet in the finals this year, and they did. I've actually only played it once but it seems like a great game considering how early it was released. Lots of legendary players in it, not many games had Bird, Magic, and Jordan all in the same game. I've only played it the one time, but don't remember seeing a stats screen saying who scored the points for your team. Was this feature missing for the game or did I just skip over it?
    "You cannot stop me with just a paramecium!"

Basketball games don't count as real Genesis games, exactly like all wrestling, boxing, baseball, football and golf games + any non-Elitserien hockey game.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

You are horrendously wrong. I am extremely offended.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    "Pat Riley Basketball" was one of the most successful. highest-selling pre-Sonic games on the Genesis you ninny!!! At $20 a pop (compared to $50 for "Lakers Vs. Celtics"), this puppy sold like hotcaeks back in 1990!!!
    You were three-years-old in 1990. I'm basing my post from the various sales figures posted at the time in video game magazines, various basketball articles of the same time, and anecdotal evidence as well. EA's Lakers vs. Celtics and its yearly updates were the basketball game until NBA Live.

Yeah, Pat Riley Basketball sucks! At least Tommy Fuckin' Lasorda Baseball was playable as a very early sports title.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Quote Originally Posted by trekbone87 View Post
    You are horrendously wrong. I am extremely offended.
    I'm just jokin' with ya . I just think it is a tad bit superfluos with nine Madden games on the same console, etc.

Yeah, I know you were just jokin with me. I just like the sports games a lot better than most other titles. Feel free to make fun of that fact lol.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Haha, we complete each other in taste, and that is good... I'll come up with something funny someday ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    You were three-years-old in 1990. I'm basing my post from the various sales figures posted at the time in video game magazines, various basketball articles of the same time, and anecdotal evidence as well. EA's Lakers vs. Celtics and its yearly updates were the basketball game until NBA Live.

Doesn't mind that I'm not able to go back and do proper research. Usenet archives are a GOLDMINE.

And "Pat Riley Baske..........CANT.STOP.SNICKERING............... LMFAO! Sorry,I couldn't help it. PRB's extreme suckiness is an inside joke that I've created...........that's between me and no one else.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    yes they were and I have very fond memories of playing this, I was nearly crying when I got this as a christmas present in 96 from my local school at the time, the crying was because I was so emotional and I couldn't speak because I hugged the teachers all so much, it was a very lovely present from them and when I got home and played it for the first time I was not disappointed, EA always did the best basketball games on the system, and by the way the less said about pat riley basketball the better, great coach, lousy game

Thread Information