Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lakers vs. Celtics & The NBA Playoffs

Road Rasher

and when I got this game again this year guess what happened? pretty accurate hah

Mod 1 Segaphile Wildside Expert St Louie Bee's Avatar

Reading the review for the mediocre David Robinson's Supreme Court made me re-read this review. I'll just say this right here, this is my favorite basketball game on the Genny (yes even more than NBA Jam!). The Bulls vs series weren't really that much of an improvement and they didn't have the Magic!

Maybe it was because I played it so much, but did anyone else find this game a little too easy? After awhile I was stealing so much from the computer that I was up at least 20-30 points by half time!

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

Me and my friends used to play Lakers vs. Celtics virtually everyday after school.... then get hyped up and go shoot around/pick-up/21/etc outside til it got dark. Those were the days...

At the time this was THE best you could get. I had Pat Riley's also, but it wasn't much compared to this game. Before that it was all about Double Dribble on the NES. We used to think that Lakers vs. Celtics was so realistic, that if you squinted your eyes... it looked like a real televised game. Sports games have come a real long way. It's a trip when you check out the evolution from back in the day to today's 2k11.

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

This game is the reason i bought a genesis. I will never forget how impressive the graphics were when i first saw them...i love the music especially the half time show....this is probably my most memorable genny game ever

[/url]

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I surprisingly don't have a lot of experience with this game, though I do know that it was the best looking Genesis basketball game for a few years and that it probably was the best one available at the time. It sure plays slow as all get out, though.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

197-174.

In arcade mode.

This is what I call sports game. Without any shadow of sarcasm. On this post, I'm going to express myself, like, quite a lot.

You know, over time I acquired some, uh, classic tastes on gaming. Several months ago, I was trying my luck with Konami's PES'22 demo on the PS5, and I think I reached a point of no return (and I've been an ISS/PES consumer for years): the more sporting games turn into simulations, the less I enjoy them. I feel pressed to master controls I don't understand, to create tactics almost like a professional coach instead of using just my fav formationů I think EA on soccer and 2K on basketball understand this stance on their "serious" sports franchises (Playgrounds is out of the question), and we can toggle their games to get more arcadey.

This game, much like 2K nowadays, combines arcade friendlies with simulation on tournament mode (can't be toggled). And these arcade friendlies are an absolutely mad and funny mess! No exclusions, nor timeouts. Just running, scoring, fouling (the ref is pretty soft on the CPU team, BTW). The toughest part here is learning to defend: I spent several minutes trying to figure how to control my players, until I noticed their socks changing colours.
    Not that this game hasn't its share of shortcomings: sometimes it gets painfully slow and controls are kind of laggy, but on a 1990 third party game on the MD/GEN, I guess it was fair for the day. All-in-all, a type of game I kind of miss: 5 vs 5 and doing whatever you please.

On a more technical level, graphics are more than correct: there's only one court, but several players are recognizable (check James Worthy's glasses. Stylish stuff) and move well enough (again, for such an early game). Sound-wise is pretty bad and tiresome, though.

On a sidenote: You guys know what sports game I'm enjoying the most nowadays? Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Heroes. Yes siree: a freakin' action RPG dressed as a sports game. Go figure.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^I love these capsule reviews! Tried to give you rep but, you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^I love these capsule reviews! Tried to give you rep but, you know the rest.

Thread Information