Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atari threatens the press

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Default Atari threatens the press

Wow, quite a scandal!
    Atari has threatened several European websites with legal actions about their Alone in the Dark-reviews.

The thing is that Atari did not send out review-copies to those websites, but they still reviewed it before the official release-date. And the game fot mediocre and bad ratings.

Now Atari claims those websites must have used either beta-versions or illegal bit-torrent-downloads of the game for their reviews, and that those reviews were not legit and did not meet the official product-review standards.

In short they demanded the websites to delete the bad reviews or they would sue them.
    Also they cancelled all advertisements on sites with negative reviews.

It is not unusual to get games a few days before the official release dates; many shops get their copies days earlier in order to have the game available everywhere in time; and sometimes they just start selling it too early. The German website 4players.de said they got the game that way; from a befriended game-dealer that sold them their copy earlier.

This is so fucking poor; Atari wants to tell us that those reviewers scored the game so badly because they were not meeting quality-standards; meaning, if you have the wrong opinion you must obviously be unworthy of reviewing a game.
    They are seriously trying to silence the press. I never heard of anything like it before in gaming, and I´m happy the sites did not give in to these methods.

http://kotaku.com/5018149/legal-mess-over-euro-alone-in-the-dark-reviews-[update]

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Sadly, it sounds like bid-ness as usual.

If I were you I'd send in the Elite Hoff Zepplin Fleet, the one that plays the Hoff sung closing theme to "Baywatch" non stop.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

No wonder Alone in the Dark gets such bad reviews these days. It was originally released over 10 years ago. How the hell can they expect reviews with good scores for such an old game, when it doesn't live up to the audiovisual standard of today?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

If Atari didn't like a 3/10 they are really going to hate this:
    Alone in the Dark is tosh.
    That's all I have to say on the subject.

Please Note: I have never played Alone in the Dark and am just out for some controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Watch out Mr Smith, you might GET SUED by Atari!!!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Eh. Alone in the Dark leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth because of the godforsaken Uwe Boll movie.
    This is the internet. It means nothing. Don't believe otherwise.

Okay, that does it! I abolutely LOVED the Original back when it was released (I got the 1992-PC-release still lying around somewhere) but now... Infogrames killed the franchise... then Atari raised a mindless zombie... then Uwe Boll bizarrly mutated that zombie... and now Atari is franchise-raping that resurrected-mutant-zombie...

Can it get ANY uglier??

Oh, and Mr. Smith: As you can see, this isn't a good topic to troll upon Oh, and add another one to the unofficial Mr Smith "tosh"-counter
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

Please Note: I have never played Alone in the Dark and am just out for some controversy.
    No Atari advertising for you!

If sites did indeed use review copies or bit torrents, then Atari as every right to be pissed. If the actual, legit game was used, then they have no control over what the press says. If Atari plans to take away its advertising every time someone gives its games bad reviews, then it soon won't have anyone left with whom to advertise.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Oh, and Mr. Smith: As you can see, this isn't a good topic to troll upon
    Lies! Every topic is a good one to troll upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    If sites did indeed use review copies or bit torrents, then Atari as every right to be pissed. If the actual, legit game was used, then they have no control over what the press says. If Atari plans to take away its advertising every time someone gives its games bad reviews, then it soon won't have anyone left with whom to advertise.
    Of course, if the websites really did use copies I agree. But chances are rather slim; getting a game a few days earlier is not that unusual, and I doubt the websites would have made a fuss about Atari´s threat if they had no proof.

But either way, the unproven accusation alone and the demands by Atari are a poor way of dealing with critics. They can´t go around bashing all websites just because they might have done something illegal.

Banned by Administrators

They're a sinking ship that Atari. Wont be long now

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Metal_Sonic View Post
    They're a sinking ship that Atari. Wont be long now
    it's been sinking since Bushnell left in 1978, but I guess James Cameron is directing so it's going to take about 30 minutes longer than it needs to (seriously, that took a really effin long time for the Titanic to sink). I really can't think of any video game company that still has the same feel they had 10-15 years ago. Nintendo sold out to grandma, Sega just sucks, I haven't been too impressed with Konami or Capcom as of late (excluding viewtiful joe). Square seems to be doing the same thing as always, but that's about it, and even they've come under fire during recent years.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    Of course, if the websites really did use copies I agree. But chances are rather slim; getting a game a few days earlier is not that unusual
    But don't you usually spend a few days with a game before reviewing it? They got the game early enough to write a full review days before the game's release date. Either they did acquire an illicit copy, or they didn't spend enough time on it to give a fair review, or a shop got their copies in extraordinarily early.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

Lol. I missed the fine print first time I saw this

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    No Atari advertising for you!

I dont remember exactly what happened, but I know that Konami didnt want one certain Magazine to do a review of MGS 4, so I believe they paid them off to do a roundtable discussion instead. Someone help me out on this.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Thread Information