Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elemental Master

Sonic Elemental Master

Shooter fans love Techno Soft. Fewer companies have produced more quality games in the genre than it has, and the Genesis was especially blessed by its talents. Everyone knows of the Thunder Force series, of course, but there's also another vertical shooter that unfortunately doesn't get as much love. Well, we're here to change that with a full review of Techno Soft's other classic, Elemental Master. Read it and find why your Genesis library is still one game short of complete.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

This is an awesome game, which I should beat sometime. It deserves the 9 it got.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I remember how the mags were labeling this as "Thunder Force 4" before this game came out in Japan. Morons. I guess if it is by TechnoSoft it can ONLY be Thunderforce. The game itself is pretty good, the music is very good and the graphics are grainy and average. This game just needs 8 MEGA POWER or more to get rid of the tons of repetitive tiles that are in this game and maybe sprinkle in a bit more color as well. I remember that the game keeps going and going and going. And I always thought that the chick kind of looked like Christina Applegate.

I had a discussion lately with a buddy about which one is better: Elemental Master or Twinkle Tale. For me EM destroys TT. A very good title that - as stated by Melf - makes every MD collection fall short if it's not there.

I remember I used to play the Jap version, so I didn't even know the character's name! Now I'll do it again with the western cart.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

LOL @ US Cover ! It's so awful, I can't believe it. o_O

...on the other hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised: Every US cover is god awful.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I remember how the mags were labeling this as "Thunder Force 4" before this game came out in Japan. Morons.
    Blame that on Ed Semrad. On today's Player One podcast (Episode 88), the 3 hosts (who use to work at EGM during the Ed Semard days btw) mentioned how Ed liked to wrongly label games for the magazine. For example, Ed calling Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on one EGM cover Super Castlevania V.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    I had a discussion lately with a buddy about which one is better: Elemental Master or Twinkle Tale. For me EM destroys TT. A very good title that - as stated by Melf - makes every MD collection fall short if it's not there.
    Yeah, Twinkle Tale is good game, but the somewhat glitchy scrolling and pace of the game make it less fun for me. I will say that Twinkle Tale does have better bosses than Elemental Master, at least in appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser
    Don't you just love the Van Damme model on that cover? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post

...on the other hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised: Every US cover is god awful.
    Normally I'd agree, but this is one of a few times I think the US cover art is better. The Japanese game's cover is so washed out and bleh looking.

An Cailín Deas. :) Road Rasher probablee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but this is one of a few times I think the US cover art is better. The Japanese game's cover is so washed out and bleh looking.
    Both the US and Japanese boxes look bad! Is there no justice!?

The JP boxart wins because of the mega awsome "World of Technology - Tecno Soft" logo. Anyone here should immediately produce a high quality black T-shirt with the logo on and send it to me, size S-L will do.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I have the us version with Van Damn! Fun game I need to play more often

An Cailín Deas. :) Road Rasher probablee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The JP boxart wins because of the mega awsome "World of Technology - Tecno Soft" logo. Anyone here should immediately produce a high quality black T-shirt with the logo on and send it to me, size S-L will do.
    (S-L? That's a very broad description... )

I could do it for about €20, I'd need a bigger scan of the logo or summat to make it detailed and nice on the t-shirt. Black, then?

S-L is Small, Medium or Large. Preferably Medium, because Small shirts are impossible to get off when you are sweaty on your back - it is like it is glued onto me. And Large shirts tend to look like a dress on me and there is so much stuff to put down in the pants then.

Here is a white bigger version, but since I dislike white clothes (I only wear them during summer when I have to) it is not an option. I'll buy the game and scan it soon .
    Last edited by Zebbe; 07-02-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Wildside Expert

Great game with the exception of the last stage where all bosses reappear, even the ones you faced 5 minutes ago (!), a true trial of endurance and patience and the ultimate proof that you have indeed mastered the game.

Thread Information