Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lords of Thunder

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I lol'd.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Road Rasher

I like the game quite alot actually, I have the sega cd version which to me is fine set me back about 18 bucks I believe (complete)

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by acdc View Post
    this game is to easy 30 or 40 minutes and the game is over

not worth his price
    The game may be fairly easy to complete, but the same can be said of many SHMUPS - the challenge comes from perfecting your play until you can complete the game on a single credit, which should take hours of practice - hell, i've been trying to 1cc Mushihime-sama for over 6 months now and i'm only just over half way Lords of Thunder might not be as challenging, but to an avid SHMUP player, the $20+ price should be well worth it.

kinda tipsy Nameless One ott0bot's Avatar

I know this is old...but oh well.

I picked up a copy on ebay for 12 bucks and it's mint a few months back. Other than the on abmount of colors displayed I think this version stacks up perfectly to the Duo version. Even though it doesn't have as many on screen colors it still looks nice and colorful. A little bit off slow down here and there is annoying, but not bad. I find the sound effects are way too loud and there is no way to turn them down which is my biggest complaint. This game isn't difficult, but it is fun. I enjoy the shop and the ship selection. The levels are fun and the bosses are fairly unique. I think it's work the price, much better than some other crap shmup imports which fetch even higher prices.

Haven't played the SEGA-CD version, but the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 version is JAWUSUM , also Lords of Thunder sounds so much better than Winds of Thunder

Read my own comment below the review and I still stand to it right now. I felt it was a lot of fun, and I just dig the whole "shopping and chopping" asthetic as it were.

I have watched videos on the Turboduo version, and it does look better so I can't deny that. But I still liked the Sega CD version regardless, as I felt the gameplay fit the bill. However, I liked Dungeon Explorer and The Space Adventure much more when considering Hudson's efforts for the Sega CD, but this is not me detracting what Lords of Thunder has done for me when I say this.

Borrowed a Mega CD from a buddy and finally got a chance to try out this game. I think it's definitely good, with relentless and fast paced action ( similar to Thunder Force, which is great ), with almost no slowdown at all. The soundtrack is definitely the high point of the game, even though the SFX from your weapons is way too loud. Speaking of which, Thunder quickly became my favorite ( and only ) choice; it has great power and good coverage, especially at max level. Water is good, but feels underpowered against stronger enemies and Earth and Fire aren't very useful IMO.

The thing is, Lord of Thunder is way too easy. I had no trouble in 1CCing the game at my second or third try and even on Hard things don't change that much. Bosses are specially easy, with patterns that are easily avoidable and will go down extremely quickly with well timed combinations of elemental bombs + slashing. The last boss is joke and no bombs are required for a quick a clean kill.

I expected a bit more of Lords of Thunder, but it's undoubtedly a very fun game to play; I know a had a very good time with it. It's usually said that the original Winds of Thunder is the superior game, so I'm looking forward to checking it out as soon as possible.

For the record, my best run so far was a 1LC on Hard, scoring 1.769.990.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Borrowed a Mega CD from a buddy and finally got a chance to try out this game. I think it's definitely good, with relentless and fast paced action ( similar to Thunder Force, which is great ), with almost no slowdown at all. The soundtrack is definitely the high point of the game, even though the SFX from your weapons is way too loud. Speaking of which, Thunder quickly became my favorite ( and only ) choice; it has great power and good coverage, especially at max level. Water is good, but feels underpowered against stronger enemies and Earth and Fire aren't very useful IMO.

The thing is, Lord of Thunder is way too easy. I had no trouble in 1CCing the game at my second or third try and even on Hard things don't change that much. Bosses are specially easy, with patterns that are easily avoidable and will go down extremely quickly with well timed combinations of elemental bombs + slashing. The last boss is joke and no bombs are required for a quick a clean kill.

I expected a bit more of Lords of Thunder, but it's undoubtedly a very fun game to play; I know a had a very good time with it. It's usually said that the original Winds of Thunder is the superior game, so I'm looking forward to checking it out as soon as possible.

For the record, my best run so far was a 1LC on Hard, scoring 1.769.990.
    I must be terrible, because I can't get very far at all. Then again, I don't have much shmup experience.

PCE version is substantially harder and better because of it. SCD version is too generous with gems.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    The thing is, Lord of Thunder is way too easy. I had no trouble in 1CCing the game at my second or third try and even on Hard things don't change that much.
    The fun is in beefing up the score.
    How perfectly can we play?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    PCE version is substantially harder and better because of it. SCD version is too generous with gems.
    Yeah, but the Sega CD has no gem capping at 10.000 like the PCE CD version.
    So you have more potential for scoring there.

I'm warming up to trying the Sega CD port.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    The fun is in beefing up the score.

Yeah, but the Sega CD has no gem capping at 10.000 like the PCE CD version.
    So you have more potential for scoring there.

I'm warming up to trying the Sega CD port.
    Ha, somehow I knew that you would be drawed into this topic

You're right, the MCD version doesn't cap at 10.000 gems, but on the flip side they aren't multiplied by a 100 at the end of the game like the - Awesome - original. So, if you finish the game with said 10.000 gems, they will only add that same number to your score( EDIT: My mistake. Your remaining gems are multiplied by 10 after you beat the last boss ). Which is a real shame.

I've been playing Winds of Thunder for like a week now. I need more time, but I would really like to make a post pointing some more subtitle differences between the two versions.
    Two things are worth noticing: 1) Unlike the original, on the MCD version when your character is hit, he enters into a 'stun' animation, where you can't attack, followed by a short period of invincibility. I've seen people complaining about this change, but I consider it a benefit, since it prevents you from getting mobbed, quickly losing your firepower and health.
    2) At maximum level, the speed of the 'Flamethrower' of the Fire Armor ( MCD ) is considerably bigger than the one in Winds of Thunder, making it even more devastating at close range and keeping enemies from below/above toasted ( I personally like mine well-done, preferably magic-tenderized ).

That's why it's important to be attitude for gains!
    Last edited by Bottino; 02-22-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Okay, let’s make lemonade.

First of all, I won’t go into cosmetic details; Lords of Thunder is originally a PC Engine\Turbo Duo game and go into such details at this point would result into simple truism.

The Mega CD port is easier due to a number or reasons:
    - It has less enemies in most tight spots.
    - The game is more generous with Gems; the best example is in stage 2 ( Auzal, the ‘Water Stage’ ), in the part with the bubbles. After destroyed, they give much more gems, so much that the game’s slowdown a bit. Speaking of such stage, there’s an effect after this part in the original where the water is drained away. Such effect is absent from the Mega CD version.
    - Like I mentioned before, when hit in the MCD version, your character enters into a stun animation, followed by a short period of invincibility; In the original, your character simply flashes. The stun animation is an advantage, since it prevents you from getting mobbed or hit multiples times by the same foe.
    - Overall, enemies take fewer hits to die. This is especially true for weaker foes. That’s one reason why Water and Thunder are so effective in the MCD version.
    - In the last stage (PCE), destroying the torches on the ground at the beginning of stage produces debris which can hurt you. This is absent from the MCD version.
    - There’s an mid boss ( Lambada/ Last stage ), which has been made significantly easier ( shoots only one projectile at a time and at a slower speed ) in the MCD version. He’s a tough bastard in the original, especially since you always fight him in close quarters.
    - The distance in which your character activates his sword seems a little bigger in the MCD version.

However, there are enemies and certain parts which are tougher in the MCD version:

- There’s a huge beast which shoots V pattern bullets and has an archer on his back which is easily dealt in the original, as I just fly above and introduce him my Flamethrower or Earth Bombs. He doesn’t seem to like that in the MCD version, as he traces your position with his arm and tries to sucker punch you.
    - The mid boss from Helado, shoots twice more exploding bullets ( 4 against 2 ) in the MCD version.
    - The part with spikes and iron balls at about halfway of the last stage has been made significantly harder, since there is less space to maneuver between them.
    - The Lambada boss will go into his “ball” mode sooner than in the original ( you can – and should – kill him before he does that ).
    - The MCD version doesn’t cap 10.000 gems like the original, but on the flip side your remaining gems are multiplied only by 10, instead of 100, at the end of the game. That’s why even on Hard my score [1.769.990] is far inferior to my PCE one [2.323.100] on Normal.

In the above post, I said that Thunder ( and occasionally Water ) was enough for 1-crediting the game. When I began to play the original, I had to not only step up my game but was forced to switch to Earth ( the most powerful armor in the game, by far; it’s ascending/descending bombs can make short work of pretty much everything in the game ) and, to a less extend , Fire. I then went back to the MCD version to try out the strategies that I had developed in the original. The rate of the Flamethrower is faster in the MCD version, but I came to the conclusion that it has been weakened, along with Earth. The best example of this is the fight against the Gradius-like guardian at the end of the Last Stage. In the original, the Earth bombs or Flamethrower kills almost instantly the dragons ( snakes? ) that pops up from above/below; such thing doesn’t happen in the MCD version, as they take longer to die. The same can be said for other enemies, like the beetle creatures that crawls out of the sand in Dezant. So, Earth and Fire seems to have lost some power, while Thunder and Water were made slightly stronger.

Finally – and this is only a theory – your character’s hitbox seems slightly smaller in the MCD version. The best example that I can give about this is in the fight against the first form of the last boss: in the MCD version, it’s possible to just stay at the left corner and you won’t be hit by the left-most pillar of flame at all and you will only have to worry about dodging the light balls directed at you ( Then again, you DO have a little more of horizontal space in the MCD version ). It’s not possible to do that in the original, as you will be hit by the flame. There are other small examples that I can give, but it’s something that one has to play both versions to perceive that.

Anyway, that’s it. I really like this game and wanted to do something beyond the usual “ Sega CD version sux/ not enough colorrrrrrrs “ that I usually found on the web. I think both games have enough differences to warrant a compromised playthrough, with the original PCE version being the natural superior one ( and one of my favorite shooters now ) and better for average/advanced players, while the MCD port is more friendly to begginers and an excellent game to develop and gain confidence in your shooter skills.
    Last edited by Bottino; 02-24-2016 at 05:35 AM. Reason: corrected some information
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The important thing is that both versions are lots of fun to play, whether you're a hardcore shooter fan or have limited skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

i played through the tg16 cd version and i suck at shooters but i had fun with it. reading this review and all of the changes makes me want to plow through the sega cd port!

Thread Information