Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula One World Championship

f1 beyond the limit is absolutely more playable than a 1. this game is just so in depth, i love that when you pick your team in the gp mode you get mentored by the real life team principal, head of engineering and the other driver! amazing. all the attention to the finer details in this game really add up, and this has been ignored in the review. i think people rate this game so low because its hard to pick up and master straight away like a super hang on. im glad to see that there are other people who agree when i say this game is unfairly represented in the review on this site! the reviewer says he pops this game in every now and again for a laugh with his friends...hmmm...

If I have to raise my score then you need to lower yours. This game is as my review says it is. The framerate is aweful, your car slips and slides like ice, each race track looks almost identical. You can drive straight through most stationary objects like they aren't there and the next time you'll hit them and bounce back several car lengths, not too realistic if you ask me. Yes the game may have some in depth mentoring and menus and game play modes but what's the point when the actual races play like complete garbage? Maybe I could raise my score a bit but it would only go to a 2 and no higher, still I'm happy with a score of 1/10.

Actually there's many other racing games that look and play far better than this one even on cartridge. There is no excuse for this game's choppiness, especially on the Sega CD, the programmers were plain lazy with the programming and testing.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Sorry Vintagegamecrazy, you are so wrong. Set up your car correctly and this game plays like a dream. There's a reason why this game is so enjoyed by so many people. Set up your car correctly and you will get so much more enjoyment out of the game.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

This reminds me of Heavy Nova. People are really divided on it, but as far as the entire SCD library goes this is definitely not the bottom of the barrel!

Make My Video: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch got a 3 on this site!
    S A V E R U S T Y

Why are you so determined to label this as a bad game vintagegamecrazy? For a start - as others are saying - the car handles fine once you get used to it. You do need to put in at least 10 laps of practice to get decent enough times to be competitive and learn the braking points etc but that just adds to the challenge and is no different to modern racing games. Second, the indepth mentoring from real life team principals and extreme attention to detail right down to the exact paintwork on your car as per the 1993 f1 season is unheard during the 16-bit era and does serve a purpose, its called context. You said in an early post that you cant go in reverse, but you can turn your car around and drive around the course backwards if you want so thats not an issue, and that actually takes decent graphics to pull off which i think the game does nicely. Also as for the courses all supposedly looking the same, i really question how much attention you have payed cause they look vastly different. If you actually play through different circuits you'll notice that a street circuit like monaco or adelaide looks totally different to say hockenheim which is surrounded by trees and looks nothing like the grand stand packed silverstone track etc. Brazil is actually a very wide track in real life and lo and behold it is the same in BTL, monaco is very narrow in reality and so it is in BTL etc. To say that there are cartridge racers that look better than this is an absolute joke, i wont even bother expanding on that point because it is so self evident (actually maybe you'd like to enlighten me). To counter my own argument, the two issues i have with this game is 1. the display of other cars on the track, i admit this is a bit 'choppy' as you say and i cant really defend the game on that point other than to say its more an issue when the cars in front of you are far away, as when they are close they are displayed in a lot of detail, i mean you can even read the sponsors name on the rear wing. But its seriously not that big a deal and only lowers my opinion of the game slightly. 2. Also you point out that you car can go through signs and things on the side of the track and yeah i agree thats not realistic at all, and again cant defend that other than to say if you stick to the track this isnt an issue. I agree these detract from the game, im a fan of this game but can see areas were it could be improved but the bottom line is this game is much closer to 10 than it is to 1. I'd say an 8 or 9.
    I humbly ask you to;
    a). put more time into playing and learning the game before you review it so you give an informed opinion. there is a lot of relevant info you left out of your review (i realise the review has a word limit but nevertheless)
    b). dont bother reviewing a game you have an obvious bias towards (this works both ways i realise, hey i could be biased in my defence of this game)
    I know its hard to convey tone of voice in a post but i trully mean this in a friendly way, i just dont like seeing a good games reputation dragged through the mud.

Banned by Administrators

Does Doug ever rate a racing game above average? (Or any other game?) I've been checking all the reviews on this site for driving games, since lately I've decided to finally dive into the 16-Bit SNES/Genesis era racers, a grenre I basically avoided back in the day outside very few exceptions (ie. F-Zero, Roadrash) until the 32-Bit era that started with Arcade then Saturn Daytona USA.

Anywho, I now see that Doug really seems to be another AVGN impersonator from the reviews I've read from him so far (everybody seems to be doing the AVGN thing, cuase it's so cool ). And his frequent comments on how he loves to find games for him and his friends to laught at only back this up greatly. Yeesh, Doug, play retro games for love, not hate! It's way more fun this way! Trust me.

And would you believe the only positive racing review from him had this to say; "...it started as one of those mediocre games that I played briefly and for which I wrote a short review, glorifying all of its mediocre points and not really having any praise for it at all. It seemed to me that it was one of those games that never received much love from Sega fans, so I felt it time to revisit it and give it a full review and really go deep with it and see what finer points it has to offer. I was actually surprised to find that upon playing it with a little more depth, it became a fairly decent racing sim."

And from this flying racing game; "Despite the many gaping flaws, I still found Racing Aces to be a pretty fun game, but I had to go the distance and spend the time with it needed to get over the learning curve."

Wow?! Just wow! Did these words come out of the same Doug?! And if so, how is it that he can't learn his own lesson? Or did someone smack him upside the head for daring to mention such righteous words, which is a definite no go with most folks, lol. Anywho, too bad he never played any of the other racers to reach a similar conclusion, as what clearly seems to be the case with this F1 for Sega CD review, which he says he maybe put in 3 hours? Yeah, not learning how to control a car in a game would make me hate it too... until I figure out how to play it, that is.

So yeah, Doug, what's up? Too many AVGN episodes? Too busy cranking too many reviews to properly play most games (but reviewing games ain't a job for you, but a hobbie to go along with your gaming hobbie, right. So why you rushing through them like it's an IGN paying job?)? What is it? ... Whatever, thank goodness this site has user comments from players who put in the time with games. As they actually gave me some insight into this game as to what may lay ahead with some dedication, instead of what I already know. Now time for some more 16-Bit racing.

Hero of Algol

Damn, Thief's dickery is off the charts!

Formula One runs in the same engine of the Kawasaki game AFAIK and, as such, it shares several of its flaws (which I pointed in Kawasaki's thread and you seem to ignore in order to keep flaming Doug for no good reason).
    The fact that Doug gave low scores to both games just shows that he was coherent when reviewing games with similar flaws.
    And I also agree with him that Formula One plays a bit better than Kawasaki since Vroom (the game which originated both) was actually a F1 game and its physics and handling system fits better a F1 game than a motorcycle one. But it still is a very generic and uninspired game in terms of gameplay; and the whole package is actually very bland if you put the "polygonal" thing aside.

You're bashing Doug for no good reason and turning it into a pathetic rant where you shit all over his work at the same time that you provide no valid arguments.

You know what though Barone? After a long and miserable day at work I actually am getting a good laugh over Thief's one man flame war! He's definitely being a troll but the jokes on him in the end so I won't let get to me.

And for the record Thief, I can't stand the AVGN, his jerk attitude incessant swearing and overall bad attitude even if it's all an act. I don't subscribe to him, never had and never will and have only seen as many episodes of his show as I could count on one hand! Great job on accurate assumptions there bro!

Actually while I'm at it, I should start a different thread and post a review of Supercross 3D for the Atari Jaguar. I think it would give poor old Thief a heart attack by the time he was done reading that!

And out of curiosity Thief, what racers do you actually consider to be bad since you think these duds are hidden planet sized gems?
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

lets hope he acually played the game this time
    Kitsune in a hat

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    You're bashing Doug for no good reason and turning it into a pathetic rant where you shit all over his work at the same time that you provide no valid arguments.
    Oh, no, I got very valid arguments. Keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    You know what though Barone? After a long and miserable day at work I actually am getting a good laugh over Thief's one man flame war! He's definitely being a troll but the jokes on him in the end so I won't let get to me.
    Now I'm really disapointed. I just gave you a chance to admit & apologize, and you blew it. Big time. Remember in the Kawasaki thread when I asked if anyone played a game enough that their opinion on it changed big time for better or worse, and no one came to my aid despite asking for it again + asking for the question not to be dodged the second or third time? And even if you didn't read those, that's basically what I've been trying to explain to you and everybody else over and over and over, and yet... you knew this very same thing I"ve been trying to explain this whole time, but choose to shut up about it like a spineless worm instead of cooming out to my defense + maning up and admiting your wrong. Those two quotes from you I put in bold is what prove you knew this very well, and I've just caught you in your BS. So sorry, Doug, I gave you a chance, but your last reply makes things final. And folks like you I want nothing to do with. So don't worry, you won't hear from me again. But I hope you do the same. So let's leave it at that. And everybody else too. This conversation is over.

The other sad thing is I also know everybody knows that fact I've been trying to explain in that other thread with zero success too.

The only thing you demonstrated in the other thread was that you fail to understand that opinions are subjective and review scores are not gospel, and that you openly criticized someone for not putting enough time into a game that you yourself hadn't even played. I suggest you both agree to disagree and simply move on. If you don't agree with the review, that's perfectly fine, and you're welcome to explain why you think the game should have been rated higher. However, that doesn't mean you're "right" and he's "wrong," since opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they usually stink.

Master of Shinobi

It might me ten years old, and ordinarily I don't criticise reviews too much as people are entitled to their subjective opinions, but this review isn't just subjectively questionable, it's factually wrong in a number of ways. Reading it actually pissed me off.

My first race in the championship mode was in the wintry mountains and described as slippery, but the actual track showed clear skies, a flat track with only trees in the background and no snow and no mountains.
    The first race is at Kyalami in South Africa, in the early autumn. The area is quite hilly and at high altitude, but it is not in the mountains, and snow's pretty unlikely seeing as the average low temperature for that time of year is 12.9C with a daily average of 19. The game makes no claims of mountains or snow; that was a complete invention by the reviewer. The slipperiness is due to lack of downforce because of low atmospheric pressure, which is explicitly stated in the track description.

As your car goes down the track you would be fooled into thinking that every course is covered with ice, as you have no control. If you crash into a wall you will usually just reel back several car lengths and sometimes get stuck in corners and lose time, since you can’t go in reverse.
    You have plenty of control. Yes, the default control sensitivity could be viewed as a little twitchy, but that can be changed, as can the car setup in order to tailor it to different types of track. You can't go in reverse but you can press A+B together which enables you to do a very tight turn when stationary in order to avoid getting stuck. Reverse is unnecessary when you have that. It's your fault anyway if you've crashed into a wall. Braking, cornering, etc, all work fine given the constraints of not using real 3D or analogue controls. What the controls demand however, is that the player learns the track layouts, learns the racing line, learns when to brake, learns when to turn in, etc. To my knowledge, no other F1 game on a 16-bit console demands that the player does this; most games let you get away with just not going too quickly and turning in the direction of the corner. I'm certainly not aware of any other 16-bit game that penalises you for turning sharply while braking, which is something you generally avoid in real racing and especially F1.

I mentioned the 1993 mode before, and it’s easily the lamest part of the game. The first event takes place with three laps left in a specific race from the historical 1993 season, and the weather just turned bad and the track is slippery. Your objective is to beat an opponent racer and obtain sixth place in the overall race. You’d think they’d start you in the middle of the race, but it places you at the starting line, and there is only one other car besides your opponent. None of the events actually follow the guidelines of the given scenario.
    No, and no. Yes, the presentation unfortunately makes it look as if you're on the starting line, but you're not, and that's obvious, especially if you play more than one scenario. The game is effectively paused at the point where the scenario starts, with the car instantly being in motion as soon as the lights go green. Scenarios that aren't supposed to start behind a safety car start like this so you aren't thrown straight from loading into a high speed corner. That's why the car reads as going 100MPH when it's stationary. Also, yes, there aren't many cars in that scenario (it's six or seven, I think). How many cars finished the real 1993 South African Grand Prix? Seven classified, but only five crossed the line. There were only a few cars on the track by that point of the real race, so that's why there are so few cars on the track in the game version of that point in the race. 1993 mode works as advertised, and as a sort of interactive highlights package is a neat feature for F1 fans, especially with the vintage FMV. Even if you don't agree with my subjective categorisation of the mode, the review is objectively inaccurate in how it's portrayed.

I'm sorry, but aside from the inaccuracies (which are bad enough) the review also leans toward hyperbole. This isn't an arcade racer, it's probably the only attempt to simulate F1 and driving technique on a 16-bit console. Is it perfect? No, and it's got some pretty big flaws, but it's pretty rewarding if you play it its way instead of trying to play it like Super Monaco GP. 1 out of 10 and an factually inaccurate review is doing this game a massive disservice.

I've seen others ask for this, and I will too: consider allowing multiple reviews of the same game, because some reviews on here are "contentious" to put it mildly.
    Last edited by Silanda; 11-26-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

It's for reasons like this that I've never reviewed a game. People picked games I'd love to review, and having a single review be the representation of the communities opinion of a game is really not indicative of a game's impact as a whole. Luckily, it really is just one opinion, and if a visitor wanted to see more, they could go into the forum/thread and read responses. That being said, I don't think that is often the case, and what you have is a really negative review of a game that has a contingent of fans that could write about the game in more detail, and provide some alternative perspective on the game, which may help shed light on game play that could have been missed in the initial review.

I hope that at some point, the site can move toward a collection of reviews for each game, combined with an average rating based on numbers of votes via a poll in the associated review thread.

Thread Information