Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula One World Championship

Formula One World Championship

Racing has many faces, from the dirty danger of rally competition to the chaotic madness that takes place on city streets. With so many different options, it seems as though there's something for everyone, and while all are loved, none are more prestigious than formula one racing. So why then, did Sega's Formula One World Championship for Sega CD try its best to burn rubber on such a grand legacy? The ugly answers can be found in our full review.

Sorry, I usually don't comment on people's reviews, but I will make an exception. I didn't think the game was as bad as the reviewer stated. Try adjusting the cars settings in the great menus the reviewer seemed to like so much. Adjusting the cars steering, brakes, front and rear wings will greatly improve the cars performance and handling.

I realize the game isn't the greatest Sega CD game in existance, but I hardly feel it deserves a 1.0. There are worse games available for the system. Just my 2 cents.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Reviewers; first reviews seem a little "ambitious" and overzealous. Maybe he didnt look at the review manifest enough? Eh, whatever, Ive never heard of the game. I dont own a Sega CD. However, I am going to review an Indy Car that doesn't suck that much, Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing.

I have never heard ANYTHING about this game. Ballz has to be worse than this.

Who's Doug Jackson? And props for the Peter Gabriel signature.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Thanks Melf for posting my first review for the site, I see you got pics up too, I've not been able to figure out how to configure my emulator for sega cd games so thanks for taking the time to do so.

I can defend my low score for the review
    It's not my first review, it's just my first one for sega-16. I've been writing reviews for digital press for years now. I know that you can adjust the settings for the car in the menues but even with the different car settings it's still a lazy game at best, Just try playing it and then play several other 16 bit racers and you'll realize just how bad the game is. I would have given it a 2 if the game came out at the Sega CD's launch but it came out towards the end so I scored it lower.
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 07-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Hey man, this game was great, just my two cents... oh well.

I liked it quite a bit, but the first time I played it, was '99? I don't remember, but I liked it quite.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Its not that bad as reviewed. The videos are okay, the game itself makes fun if you set the correct values for your cars parts.
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I remember that this game received a very high rating back in the day: 85% in German MAN!AC magazine, which equals 95% in other magazines. I never actually played it but although I fear it might not have aged well, it can't possibly be anywhere near as bad as 99,9% of the other rubbish that was released for SCD (e.g. FMV "games").

Anyway, reviews are just the opinion of the author. Nothing less and nothing more. I probably would give most games a very low rating because I simply don't like most games - no matter if they've been released yesterday or today.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I'm still gonna take a chance on this game despite the review. To those who have the game and think it's decent, what would you rate the game?

I would give this game a 5, its pretty much the most average racer but at least there was some effort. The presentation is well done, as was the customization options.

I disagree that 1993 mode was the worst part of the game, I think it was a pretty good way of attempting to add story to a racing game.

This isn't such a bad game. I got the Japanese version recentish (listed as "Heavenry Symphony" ) Admittedly I haven't played it more than a couple of times, but it struck me as "meh" rather than "crap" - definitely worth a try if you like F1 racers. There are MD ones that are far worse.

Thanks for the input guys! Gonna grab me a copy of the game next week.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I've been lurking on (and enjoying) this site for a couple years, but I was finally forced to take the plunge and register on the boards just because I've never disagreed so drastically with a review here, and wanted to offer a counter-perspective. Reviews are just opinions, and everyone responds to games in a different way, but Jesus, to give a *1* to this game really seems to indicate a failure on the reviewer's part to put adequate effort into engaging with the title, or to understand its intent. Claims like "As your car goes down the track you would be fooled into thinking that every course is covered with ice, as you have no control" are simply untrue, and demonstrably so by anyone who takes sufficient time to learn the controls. This was not an arcade style racer you could expect to pick up and play, and both the graphics and gameplay reflected that.

Now, graphical evolutions across system generations tend to date racing games at a much faster pace than other genres, so it doesn't hold up the same way as other Sega classics, but back when it was released, Beyond the Limit was one of the finest and deepest racing sims available for a 16 bit console, and really stretched the limits of what could be done with the technology. It's the closest 16 bit ever got to Gran Turismo. You had a, for the time, unprecedented level of customization over your car (customizations which were genuinely reflected in racetrack performance), and the game was full of detail and nuance that put a lot of control and responsibility in the player's hands. The learning curve was very steep and the controls exacting, but they could be mastered - once they were, the game really opened up. I played through the entire tournament mode back in the day, and found it a thoroughly challenging and rewarding gameplay experience, as well as a richer and more robust one than was offered by any other racing sim on the shelves at the time. This was a quality product from Sega, and most contemporary press reviews acknowledged that.

The graphics obviously fail to impress today. That's the nature of racing sims. They tend to lack the distinctive, personable art styles that carry games in other genres through the passing of time and progress. But BTL looked more than serviceable at the time, and there's no great technical difference between it and similar titles on Genesis and SCD (artistically, it is rather generic).

This was one of my favorite SCD games during the lifetime of the system, and while it no longer is, I still look on it fondly. I'd be lying if I said I play it often, but I last popped it in about 3 years ago, and managed to have a good time with it. I doubt whether the events of the last 3 years would suddenly turn it to garbage in my mind. Anyone who has a taste for deep, 16 bit racing sims (admittedly, a small niche) would probably still find some enjoyment here.

If you give a score of 1 to a well developed racing sim that's simply been superceded by advances in technology, what the heck do you give Bible Adventures?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SpotlessMind View Post
    I've been lurking on (and enjoying) this site for a couple years, but I was finally forced to take the plunge and register on the boards just because I've never disagreed so drastically with a review here, and wanted to offer a counter-perspective. Reviews are just opinions, and everyone responds to games in a different way, but Jesus, to give a *1* to this game really seems to indicate a failure on the reviewer's part to put adequate effort into engaging with the title, or to understand its intent. Claims like "As your car goes down the track you would be fooled into thinking that every course is covered with ice, as you have no control" are simply untrue, and demonstrably so by anyone who takes sufficient time to learn the controls. This was not an arcade style racer you could expect to pick up and play, and both the graphics and gameplay reflected that.

Now, graphical evolutions across system generations tend to date racing games at a much faster pace than other genres, so it doesn't hold up the same way as other Sega classics, but back when it was released, Beyond the Limit was one of the finest and deepest racing sims available for a 16 bit console, and really stretched the limits of what could be done with the technology. It's the closest 16 bit ever got to Gran Turismo. You had a, for the time, unprecedented level of customization over your car (customizations which were genuinely reflected in racetrack performance), and the game was full of detail and nuance that put a lot of control and responsibility in the player's hands. The learning curve was very steep and the controls exacting, but they could be mastered - once they were, the game really opened up. I played through the entire tournament mode back in the day, and found it a thoroughly challenging and rewarding gameplay experience, as well as a richer and more robust one than was offered by any other racing sim on the shelves at the time. This was a quality product from Sega, and most contemporary press reviews acknowledged that.

The graphics obviously fail to impress today. That's the nature of racing sims. They tend to lack the distinctive, personable art styles that carry games in other genres through the passing of time and progress. But BTL looked more than serviceable at the time, and there's no great technical difference between it and similar titles on Genesis and SCD (artistically, it is rather generic).

This was one of my favorite SCD games during the lifetime of the system, and while it no longer is, I still look on it fondly. I'd be lying if I said I play it often, but I last popped it in about 3 years ago, and managed to have a good time with it. I doubt whether the events of the last 3 years would suddenly turn it to garbage in my mind. Anyone who has a taste for deep, 16 bit racing sims (admittedly, a small niche) would probably still find some enjoyment here.

If you give a score of 1 to a well developed racing sim that's simply been superceded by advances in technology, what the heck do you give Bible Adventures?
    I agree and while I haven't played both this and bible adventures it was one of THE most critically acclaimed games for the sega-cd and this is the same reviewer I believe who gave the legendary columns a 3 star score out of ten, I would fire him on the spot if I was him

This is my first review for Sega-16 so I didn't review columns so don't say you'll fire me for that one. I see this review has generated quite some controversy here. I don't mind if you disagree with my review, it's just my opinions on the review but I will add that I have spent plenty of time with Gran Turismo and later games and found them quite enjoyable and could master the controls. When it comes down to it it is just plain boring overall and lacks any fine tuned polish that more games of the time had. I spent over three hours with the game overall and never had such little fun with a in quite a while. BTW Sega Master System Columns blows the Genesis port away by a mile.

Nameless One

I certainly can identify reviewers who usually score their games too low or too high.

THis one certainly doesnt know how to score right. This game deserves AT LEAST a 5 out of 10. A 1 would be comparable to a buggy and totally unplayable game.
    Sega Genesis Collector in Mexico.

Thread Information