Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nomad has SMS mode

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Default Nomad has SMS mode

So, I got bored yesterday night, and started wondering why Nomad doesn't work with PBC... So grabbed one of my Nomads, gave little more thorough inspection and noticed that the !PutIntoSMSmode signal on cartslot is not connected... so I grabbed my MD2 and pinpointed the responsible signal on the system ASIC, connected it in my Nomad and wohooo, we have SMS mode

Pics in the attachment... I'll do a scan of the board later, you can see the actual mod then.

On another note, I totally Europefied my Nomad and added Reset button. The Nomad LCD controller is 100% PAL compatible and I wonder why the hell didn't Sega release one in Europe

PS: That PBC is home made, and its a bit too compact for a Nomad so any more sudden movement will end up with a crash
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Awesome! Great work!

Now get it working through the 32X!

I've attached the boards scan.

To see what can be done with 32X, I need a 32X first...
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

This is, like whatever you do TmEE, fantastic. Do you think it is possible to make a PBC that will be stable on the Nomad so you actually can play a lot of SMS on it?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Wow!!! This would allow Nomad to be used with SMS games via NeoMyth or MegaCart v2 (if there will be one) !

I noticed that you also managed to add an "enhanced audio mod" - could you record BGM #02 from Streets of Rage 2 for me ?

When you say that you 'Eurofied' it, does it mean that the screen always displays in 50Hz to reduce blurr?

- The backlit dimmer for better black level is brilliant too!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Does it say "Venus" on those motherboards? Guess its true then, that Nomad's original code name was "Project Venus".

Hmm.......

"Project Mercury" = Game Gear
    "Project Jupiter" = Unreleased?
    "Project Saturn" = Saturn
    "Project Mars" = 32X
    "Project Venus" = Nomad
    "Project Neptune" = (Unreleased) Sega Neptune

I believe it was in that order that they were all developed.
    Last edited by Aarzak; 08-04-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Project Jupiter wasn't the 32X. It was some other 32-bit cartridge-based console that was dropped early in development. Or so I've heard, might be wrong.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Do you think it is possible to make a PBC that will be stable on the Nomad so you actually can play a lot of SMS on it?
    The instability in my case is solely because of my PBC... I made it before even seeing a Nomad so its half a centimeter shorter for a Nomad... ultr@ compact

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Wow!!! This would allow Nomad to be used with SMS games via NeoMyth or MegaCart v2 (if there will be one) !
    I don't see anything stopping for these (if they ever appear) not to function...

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser
    I noticed that you also managed to add an "enhanced audio mod" - could you record BGM #02 from Streets of Rage 2 for me ?
    The effect is very minimal... I'll do a record (and few other things I've forgotten). Complete audio mod will kill the batteries :P

When you say that you 'Eurofied' it, does it mean that the screen always displays in 50Hz to reduce blurr?
    Europefied means it is truly European, with European master clock, which means 100% Euro machine timings and all... I haven't added any switches yet, so it stays in 50Hz... the other Nomad is pretty much unmodded (and its in 60Hz) so switch can wait :P
    Its amazing how much less blur there is in 50Hz

- The backlit dimmer for better black level is brilliant too!
    It has its drawbacks, when theres more light outside, you won't see too much what's on the screen... in theory, it SHOULD help to lengthen battery life, as the backlite can't suck as much power...

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    "Project Saturn"= Saturn
    Hmmmmm.... I don't know about that. More scientific research and grants are necessary.

Nameless One

brilliant... you have inspired me

time to take out the scalpel

This would make a great article!

Hint... hint...

So what needs to be done for the article ? I'm not much of a writer, I can describe the whole modding process with less than half a page of text...

Sports Talker

Sweet mod, would love to see a write-up on this as well!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/...35/SoR2-02.ogg

here's the recording christuserloeser asked for.

The best pics I can get for the article are what you see in the first post, or board scans.

Superb Job TmEE, I was not even aware of the Nomad/Master System incompatibility....
    I got mine done, but re-routed the B30 line (for easy access)

I couldn't help to notice the CXA1645 sony encoder while at it, so there is no need for pricey converters to get s-video.....Enough room to install a s-video output connector, add the proper resistors, caps and the Sega MK-1635 stereo cable to this combination and its set to go!

Last edited by ooXxXoo; 08-05-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

Thread Information